1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Look what followed me home

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2XSive, Sep 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    1971 XS1b with 3,800 original miles. Have the green title in hand from when it was last purchased in 1974. Been looking for a 71 or 72 for quite awhile and this popped up on Craigslist for $500. I happened to be the lucky first caller. His phone was ringing like crazy. It will be a complete tear down/restoration project where I take my time and do it right. Maybe not Mailman quality but will do my best. ;) Still has original tires on it. Missing a few parts but nothing major.

Attached Files:

2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Timing is everything. :D
    Looking forward to you build thread.

4. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks like a great candidate. Congratulations!

MaxPete, Jim, 2XSive and 2 others like this.
  5. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks like a great project!
    Congratulations, I think you are a winner!

MaxPete, Jim and 2XSive like this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Congratulations on a great buy! I do hope you plan on starting a build thread. This is gonna be fun! :thumbsup:

MaxPete, Jim, 2XSive and 2 others like this.
  7. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

If we all compared ourselves to Bob, we'd never get any sleep. ;) :)

MaxPete, Jim, 2XSive and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ipa62

Ipa62 XS650 Addict

USA
    Maybe I’m reading this thread wrong, but I don’t think this is a ‘71? But a good by for $500 and well worth the effort.

9. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    Will start a build thread once I get going. Plan on doing a thorough inspection of motor first to see what it might need before tearing her apart. Check out this title from 1974, sitting on original shop manual.

Attached Files:

MaxPete, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mailman

Ha! That bar isn’t very high! It’s all smoke and mirrors my friend! :D

MaxPete, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mailman

I also noticed the front disc brake and compression release, which look to be an XS2. It could be some kind of confusion with the title, since the bike was manufactured in 1971 ? Just a guess. :shrug:

12. 2XSive

Michigan
    Title shows it as a 71 but will need to do a VIN lookup.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  13. 2XSive

Michigan
    A quick check on VIN says it is an XS1b

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  14. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

71 had a drum on the front and no electric start. Prolly a 72. My 80SG shows as a 79 on the title because it was originally registered in Oct 79. DMV oops is my guess.

MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs and Mailman like this.
  15. Ipa62

Ipa62 XS650 Addict

USA
    5EAE51A1-2AB8-45F4-A81F-FC60B8DE1FAE.jpeg
    so here’s what I started with, kind of looks like a ‘72, but in the end was a ‘71 with a few missed match parts over the years. Point is, check carefully your numbers.

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  16. Jim

First year for electric start was 72. That was the first year of the rectangular left exhaust valve cover. That and the front disc points to 72 or later.
    Neither the XS1 or XS1B had elec. start.

zz.png

MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  17. 2XSive

Michigan
    You guys are right! It's an XS2. Numbers on title don't match the bike. At least in Michigan it's not hard to get a new title on a vintage bike with a bill of sale. Guy was straight up honest seller....so an oversight on both our parts.

18. Ipa62

Ipa62 XS650 Addict

USA
    And don’t forget the casting gussets on the main case behind the left side cylinder.

MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  19. Ipa62

Ipa62 XS650 Addict

USA
    But still.... $500 ain’t bad and with a title? Mine was $1200 and no title. Risky at best, but worked out okay.

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  20. Jim

Wanna sell that title? :whistle:

timbeck, MaxPete, GLJ and 1 other person like this.