Look what followed me home

Now that I'm researching it further, VIN charts shows it could be either a 72 or 73 depending on manufacture date. My bet is a 73 now based on color, even though tank paint is not original. The headlamp doesn't look to be repainted. Either way, still a good buy and a great bike to restore. I'm not disappointed.

Now what per chance would you do with this title Jim?
:cautious: :whistle: :cautious:

71cbxL0dSjL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Hand Stamp Indent Marking Sample.jpg

:D:D:D

The '72 had a really funky disc mount (not bolted to wheel hub) and front axle configuration (double nut arrangement). Have a look at Mailman's thread to see details. Yours looks to have the normal later 6 bolt to hub disc mount and the normal one nut axle, both of which came along in '73.

Yes, 73 it is. I like the color scheme on a 73, so it'll be a fun bike to restore. Need a winter project. I spoke to the seller this morning and he was all apologetic, offered to buy back the bike or pay whatever fees are needed to get a new title issued. It's all good. Stand up guy.

Now that I'm researching it further, VIN charts shows it could be either a 72 or 73 depending on manufacture date. My bet is a 73 now based on color, even though tank paint is not original. The headlamp doesn't look to be repainted. Either way, still a good buy and a great bike to restore. I'm not disappointed.

I just checked and Diablo Cycle in London, ON does have a full decal set for that bike if it is a '73 - and Lakeview might be able to guide you to the correct OEM colour as he had his tins painted and they look perfect. Here is their web address:

https://www.diablocycle.com/-Decals/

The '73 decal set is $95 USD and it is a perfect match for the original as far as I can tell.

BTW - if your handlebar switches are looking seedy, they also have a full set of bar switch labels. Interesting story: the late RobinC who lived in London just a short distance from the Diablo shop had asked them to develop these labels and they did, based on his research. Again, the labels are a perfect match for the OEM items and as the source of the idea, Robin got a free set of the labels.

Anyhow - great buy on that '73 - congrats!

Pete

Last edited:
Back