1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Look what followed me home

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2XSive, Sep 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    Now that I'm researching it further, VIN charts shows it could be either a 72 or 73 depending on manufacture date. My bet is a 73 now based on color, even though tank paint is not original. The headlamp doesn't look to be repainted. Either way, still a good buy and a great bike to restore. I'm not disappointed.

2. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    Now what per chance would you do with this title Jim?

gggGary, Mailman and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:cautious: :whistle: :cautious:

71cbxL0dSjL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Hand Stamp Indent Marking Sample.jpg

:D:D:D

4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I have 2 frames and good engines I can build into bikes, but only 1 title.

5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The '72 had a really funky disc mount (not bolted to wheel hub) and front axle configuration (double nut arrangement). Have a look at Mailman's thread to see details. Yours looks to have the normal later 6 bolt to hub disc mount and the normal one nut axle, both of which came along in '73.

6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

7. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

The steering crown (top triple clamp) of the XS1-XS2 (70-72) did *not* use pinch bolting to the top of the fork tubes.

Also thinking '73 TX650...

YamadudeXS650C, GLJ and Jim like this.
  8. 2XSive

Michigan
    Yes, 73 it is. I like the color scheme on a 73, so it'll be a fun bike to restore. Need a winter project. I spoke to the seller this morning and he was all apologetic, offered to buy back the bike or pay whatever fees are needed to get a new title issued. It's all good. Stand up guy.

YamadudeXS650C, Jim, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I just checked and Diablo Cycle in London, ON does have a full decal set for that bike if it is a '73 - and Lakeview might be able to guide you to the correct OEM colour as he had his tins painted and they look perfect. Here is their web address:

https://www.diablocycle.com/-Decals/

The '73 decal set is $95 USD and it is a perfect match for the original as far as I can tell.

BTW - if your handlebar switches are looking seedy, they also have a full set of bar switch labels. Interesting story: the late RobinC who lived in London just a short distance from the Diablo shop had asked them to develop these labels and they did, based on his research. Again, the labels are a perfect match for the OEM items and as the source of the idea, Robin got a free set of the labels.

Anyhow - great buy on that '73 - congrats!

Pete

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    YamadudeXS650C, GLJ, Jim and 2 others like this.
  10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I believe I have a full set of "pretty good, but not perfect" 73 tins in factory paint....

YamadudeXS650C, GLJ, 2XSive and 3 others like this.
  11. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The '73 TX650 is my favorite of the early bikes. Congratulations! You're going to need the correct tank. Yours is '70 to '72. It should make for good trading stock.

YamadudeXS650C, GLJ, 2XSive and 3 others like this.
  12. 2XSive

Michigan
    I did notice the tank is not original to the 73, having the badges. Gary, any interest in selling or trading?

13. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The fun begins !
    :popcorn:

Jim likes this.