1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Sold / Found / Inactive - Looking for 74/75 speedometer/tachometer

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by cmarts, May 13, 2018.

1. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

Looking for speedometer/tachometer. Just need case and front glass piece so a broken instrument that is still round will do.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

heads up

74/75 and 76/77 Speedos are different and the mounting and brackets are as well........Glass may interchange but the cases wont due to different cluster/Bracket set ups.

74/75
    1h 75B.JPG P1000685.JPG P1000686.JPG

76/77
    2z1 76C 1 3.jpg 3b  77D.JPG
    76 Speedo Case........................77 Speedo case................80/83 cases changed color
    Photo111.jpg DSCF7775.JPG P1000295.JPG
    P1000289.JPG

All gauges from 76-83 cases will interchange with the 76-83 Cups

Attached Files:

geedubya and Mailman like this.
  3. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

thanks for the info

4. borjawil

borjawil XS650 Enthusiast

Still need them? Shoot me a pm

5. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

So if I want to put my 74/75 speedometer internals in a different case, it will only fit in a 74/75 speedometer? I just need a new housing and cup for my speedometer which looks like it got run over.

6. 650Skull

Be more specific on what year you have and to make sure a pic will help. I had a special with a bracket made up to accommodate the 74/75 gauge cluster.

Greyandridin likes this.
  7. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

The instrument is from 1974 specifically. I am also getting a custom bracket cut out for me. I just need a round case so my speedometer will fit in the new mount correctly as the old one has been crushed. The internals work and I have already taken the speedo apart. I just need a new case to fit the parts into.

8. 650Skull

All i can say is the 74/75 Instruments housing is different to the 76-83 Instrument housings. The Gauge and cup and bracket set up is completely different to the 76-83 Gauge, cup and brackets...........they do not interchange............i have seen the instrument from 74/75 steel housing cleaned and polished without cups mounted to a bike but that was a home made set up

If you are making up something some thing specifically of your own then i have no idea if what you are doing is going to work...............As i said, and asked some pics, may have helped me give a better answer...............

Maybe when you get it worked out you can let us know what was done and how it worked out.........

Maybe i have just confused things and you should just go ahead and try. If some one has broken clusters i'm sure they will sell to you cheap or ..........

Greyandridin likes this.
  9. Okie

Okie XS650 Addict

Is this what you are needing? Its held on with two small acorn nuts.

Attached Files:

10. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

Yes that piece and the shell of the speedometer itself.

11. cmarts

cmarts XS650 Enthusiast

I just bought a 74' on ebay, thanks for the help.

12. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Does anyone know where I can get repro or new 75 speedo face plate the plastic park where the mph is printed
    Mine was cracked but last night it broke into pieces

13. 650Skull

75 Is a one year only Face plate..........The changed the Trip meter and the Odometer meter around...........

Caution; . 74 Face plate Trip and odometer is the same as the 76, although some 74's will be sold as 75's

Go back and look to the pics on post #2
    74TXA..........................................75XSB
    74 TXA.jpg 1h 75B.JPG

Greyandridin likes this.
  14. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

15. Greyandridin

And for a completely different question could I just swap out to a newer speedo so getting new trip meters are easier to come by?)and still use the 75 bracket ?