Looking for a ignition coil

Marty, the stock TCI coil is about 2.5Ω. Anything lower could possibly (probably) burn out the power transistor in the box that grounds the coil. Anything higher won't damage the TCI box. Just keep in mind that the higher the resistance the lower the current running through the primary.... with a corresponding lower output in the secondary... in other words, not as hot a spark.
Can the TCI XS650 operate with copper core spark plug wires or is suppression core required?

Yes. I run copper core.

Marty, the stock TCI coil is about 2.5Ω. Anything lower could possibly (probably) burn out the power transistor in the box that grounds the coil. Anything higher won't damage the TCI box. Just keep in mind that the higher the resistance the lower the current running through the primary.... with a corresponding lower output in the secondary... in other words, not as hot a spark.

Yes. I run copper core.
Thank you for providing the clarity.

Yes, straight copper core wires, not suppression type. I use EMPI VW Beetle wires, less than $20 for a kit (5 wires).

WR31ZYy.jpg

You put the needed resistance in the plug cap (NGK LB05F) or plug (NGK BPR7ES).

The around 3 ohm Honda MP08 coil works fine with the stock TCI. I've been running one for several years now, mostly because it allowed me to change (and upgrade) the plug wires, not to mention the low cost. I don't think you'll find a better, cheaper coil.

+1 what 5twins said ^^^
He summed it up.

Honda made them for years and for lots of models of their bikes .
Works great with points ,TCI and the Gonzo.
Cheap.
Plenty of spark.

Yes, they put them on the Gold Wings which rack up hundreds of thousands of miles, so that should tell you something. In fact, that's where the ones I got came from. I got a bank of 3 from a Gold Wing 6 for like $24 .....

zefTcio.jpg

TIw84vF.jpg

bH1Vyic.jpg

Yes, it was 80mm. I gave inches 'cause Marty wanted to compare it to American coils.

I'm not sure it much matters because custom mounts must be made for either .....

8jLc0Yh.jpg

I don't think so. Using this coil is a rather new addition to the 650 mods list. I think it's only come into widespread use over the last few years.

Mr Shortcut wants to know if he can buy the mount and manufacture nothing.
Aw 'cmon Marty, where's your sense of adventure. :sneaky:
You could even mount it... I dunno.... on the front of the battery box. Get it away from the engine heat and the frame vibes.

filters.jpg

Mr Shortcut wants to know if he can buy the mount and manufacture nothing.

Mr 5 T has made a fine work with bending but since it is hidden and not seen I think a quick " home made " solution
Is an option
If the direction changes 90 degrees are separate parts -- A small piece bent in a vise 90 and screwed to the other .
there would be adjustment possibilities. OK it is manufacturing strictly speaking. But not much more than the actual installing
A friend with a weld can also be an option
But no freight cost and no waiting
I don't think I would buy them even if possible to Buy
Those 90 degrees bent can here be bought at a hardware store. or building supplier.

6ddde41e17d50a791795fc88369eba6f_394x.jpg
c5e5997d30f1278f71488a97ba35589f_394x.jpg

87e0dc13ee94de26df1c2d38a5c592c6_394x.jpg
7ac053f7618a225a705ed092803f1ee4_394x.jpg

Several vendors including eBay have them. It's nice and clean. I have an extremely poorly equipped workspace (more on that some other time).
The part comes from Joker Machine.

Attachments

• 87e0dc13ee94de26df1c2d38a5c592c6_394x.jpg
    87e0dc13ee94de26df1c2d38a5c592c6_394x.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6ddde41e17d50a791795fc88369eba6f_394x.jpg
    6ddde41e17d50a791795fc88369eba6f_394x.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
You could even mount it... I dunno.... on the front of the battery box. Get it away from the engine heat and the frame vibes.
I saw that in your build thread. Very nice. I want to use the air box. Doing so means that space is not available.
245A7FC8-DA50-44C0-AD68-0CD940590729.jpeg

I assume that’s the flasher that can be moved or miniaturized.

Last edited:
Yes, the flasher "can". When I made up the mount bracket for an Accel (later an Andrews, same size and shape) Harley coil, I included a tab to mount the flasher "can" on. It needed to be moved farther back a little to provide room for the coil .....

uWiqFHL.jpg

Xprz1CB.jpg

aqb9mQu.jpg

All these coil mounts are made from heavy gauge sheet metal angle, probably like 16 ga. It's pretty easy to work with (cut, drill, shape) even with simple hand tools. Get yourself a $10 HF 4.5" grinder, some cut-off wheels for it, a grinding disc, and a flap disc, and you'll be all set. You'll be a bracket making fool, lol.

Back