Looking for a xs750 gas/fuel tank and a question

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I joined the build off starting in Novemember, and I was curious if anyone had a line on a decent xs750 gas tank...the non tear drop version.

I see several on ebay but I was curious if anyone knew if the gas cap is the same as the xs650...if so I figure I could just re-use the one I currently have. If not anyone have a line on one of those as well?

Trying to gather parts ahead of time for the build off.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a 750 tank w/ the cap. Thought I might eventually use it for something but it's just sitting around now. I can shoot a couple of pics if your interested. If you want to make me an offer, I can figure out what shipping would be to TX.

Got most of the rest of the bike as well.

I'm not sure if the cap is the same as later model 650's, but it is definitely a little different than the cap on my 72.

Yes please take some pictures =)

I will have to clean it sand blast it and repaint it so I don't want to spend to much on the tank, as I'll be spending another good chunk of my budget on that.

100 plus shipping?

I'm going out to my shop this afternoon and will take a couple of pics.

The offer sounds fair. I'll look and see how much the shipping will be.

I think I even have a key for the cap. The tank still has the petcocks on it as well but since all of it came from a non running bike (and they're vacuum type) I'm sure they'd need to be gone through.

I'll put the pics up tonight.

Thanks man...ya the petcocks you can remove I'll need the non vacuum type for my carbs...I won't be able to purchase it until this weekend so take your time....YAY for Friday pay day!

Here are a couple of pics of the tank. Couldn't really get a decent picture of the inside, but it is pretty clean. It had some old gas in it, but the tank was pretty full so it isn't full of rust - but I'd still really clean it.

It's a little scuffed up, but overall it's in decent shape. A couple of pits in the chrome on the cap, but I think that these would polish out with fine steel wool. You can see that there is one very small ding on the rear of the tank on the right side, but it is pretty minor - definitely a ding and not a dent.

Looks like shipping would be about $12-20. I need to double check the weight, but if I price it out at 10#, fedex ground is only $15, but once packed it may weigh a little more.

Attachments

• tankcap.jpg
    tankcap.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 167
  • tankls.jpg
    tankls.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 175
  • tankrs.jpg
    tankrs.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 169
By the way, I just realized that this is actually a tank from an xs850. I think that the tank is the same as the 750, but I'll see if I can find a part# to make sure (maybe someone else would know for sure).

Also, you can possibly make them out in the foreground of the RS picture, but I have the rubber mounts that fit inside the cups on the inside of the tunnel and they may be useful when you got to mount the tank, just let me know if you want them.

Last edited:
Sweet and you have the key!...can you give me an idea on what shipping will be? And how do you want to set up payment? Remember I don't get paid until Friday so that's when we will have to do this.

If you PM me your information, I can send you a paypal invoice if that would work for you.

I'll double check the shipping tomorrow once I pack it up. That way the weight will be the actual shipping weight. I think it will be about $15-20 - fedex ground.

I looked at the parts catalogs for xs750 and 850 and the part #'s for the tanks are the same except for the last part of the #. It is possible that this is just the color code or something. Like I said, I am pretty sure that the tank is exactly the same.

Also, let me know if you want the rubber mounting parts.

Friday will be fine. I'm not in any hurry.

XS750 gas cap is different than the 650 - when I put a 750 tank on my '82, I swapped out the locks so I could use my 650 ignition key.

Shhh bbillington...I'm on a budget and participating in the build off! I need all the help I can get since this is my first build and I'm going up against some really experienced guys =D

Back