Looking for help, building a bobber.

Steven1972XS650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1972 Yamaha XS 650, it was a "barn find" for around 400 dollars and I'm looking to make a bobber out of it or at least something that is very bobber like.

When I think of a bobber, I think of WW 2 vets coming home, most weren't rich or famous, who needed an escape from life. Their bikes were that escape and each was very unique.

My deceased Grandfather whom everyone called "Butch" was very talented at making bikes and even made a 3 wheeler that was featured in a magazine. He put a 351 Cleveland in his 63 split-window Corvette. He was very mechanically inclined, as is my father.

I on the other hand, know basics. I can do some wiring, oil changes ect., but I'm far from an expert. Which is why I'm here to inquire and learn all I can.

I'm looking to make what I call the "Captain America" bike, an ode to Marvel's character and the Armed forces of America. I want a very powerful and gritty bike, but also a little minimalistic. I already have the perfect color scheme.

But, as someone completely new to bikes I'm looking for any advice I can get. What should I start with first, what should get modified and what should I leave stock? Should I get a new frame, or keep the same? What are some good dual exhaust pipes? I like some 1929 blacked Ford lights I found, what would I have to do to get them to fit my Yamaha? Where's some good places to find all these parts and supplies? How much money am I looking at?

Really, anything and everything helps! How to vids or anything you can think of, as I want to do this myself. I think you get a great sense of freedom, individuality and accomplishment from knowing that you did something yourself. With your knowledge and know how of course.

I'll show some pictures from the motorcycle, I've took some things off already and I've also uploaded a picture of "Bad Penny" also a XS650 that I want my bike to look very similar to once all is said and done, but obviously not identical.
20170112_132612.jpg
20170112_132606.jpg
20170112_132508.jpg
1.jpg

This is just me, and I certainly don't mind some models getting the knife treatment. But that bike looks nice, and those early models are more rare and valuable. You got a good deal! Find another bike to chop up.

That bike is a survivor gem. Chopping it up would be a sin. On the practical side, a collector will give you better than two grand for it.

I'm all for customizing and having fun, but not a classic like that. Find a beater Special and have at it.

Same here, find a '74 or newer. leave it alone. Let someone who can appreciate it give it what it needs. That bike does NOT need to be pristine to be valuable. I can't believe I said that, but that's the way I feel.

Scott

Hi Steve,
As all the above comments have their merit, I would suggest writing down a list of all changes you will need to do, to make your bike a bobber. $$$$$ will be the first thing you will spend to make a bike like B Penny! The ard tail frame is over $300 and you might be waiting longer than 6 months, before it arrives! Then the other costs will start piling up. Welding the frame, new wiring, new forks, new headlight placement, new rear caliper placement, tires, gas tank, seat, new cables. We didn't start on the engine yet? Rephasing, new 750 jugs, pistons, valve stems, timing chain and guide, carbs. Then your new exhaust, to fit your new frame? Rebuilding carbs, air intake options, rebuilding the clutch, rebuilding brakes and calipers, new hydraulic cables for brakes. I think I just spent around $4500.00 of your money so far and that's if YOU do all the work??? Again build the reality price list first, there are plenty of qualified comments and answers here on the forum to help you get through whatever your dream is. Dollars to be spent, reality and practicality on a drawing board will save you time and money!

Winchester, where? Va.
I'll trade you one that is already cut, tagged, looks great and running great, in order to save that one. I'll even deliver (If you are in Va)

I will say this. Yam277 is correct in his price, but you will never get it back. Not by cutting it up. You'd have an investment with a stock original.

You want one to cut, I got it.

EDIT: Mine is an '81 so it has the stronger frame and rebuilt 35mm forks you will need for a bobber. Hell, I'd throw in a set of VM34s.

Last edited:
Winchester, where? Va.
I'll trade you one that is already cut, tagged, looks great and running great, in order to save that one. I'll even deliver (If you are in Va)

I will say this. Yam277 is correct in his price, but you will never get it back. Not by cutting it up. You'd have an investment with a stock original.

You want one to cut, I got it.

EDIT: Mine is an '81 so it has the stronger frame and rebuilt 35mm forks you will need for a bobber. Hell, I'd throw in a set of VM34s.

I'm in Winchester, Ky. I don't know if I'd even be willing to sale or trade, but I'll at least look at the 1981 if you have any pics of it.

As an aside, you won't get an ardtail in 3 months unless you find one here for sale. That business folded like a lawn chair after the poor practices it was being run on. I found one after 2 years of watching for someone selling it in the classified section here. Try a David Bird or Voodoo vintage. And I second or fifth or whatever # we are up to, DON'T cut THAT bike up. Sell it and buy a 74 or later (probably a 78 or later to get 35mm fork) and cut that one up! There's a ton of resources here just a click away, as well as a bunch of great guys with a wealth of knowledge they're willing to share! Good luck with what sounds like is going to be a great build!

If you were any where near Nebraska, I'd give you the same offer as Little Bill.

I've got a '72 chopper, but when I got the bike there were virtually none of the original parts left and the frame had already been hacked on. That's the only reason I went ahead with the build. The early bikes have real value for what they are.

thats all truth. I also started with a $300 barn find. I figured 6 months and maybe $1K. After 3 years and about 5K, i'm very nearly finished. While that is cheap for a custom bike, I mean to say it will cost WAY more than you anticipated. Oh, and the final result is a bike that you could sell for maybe $3500.

the final result is a bike that you could sell for maybe $3500
Here once they top $2500 they stay on CL for a long time. Doesn't matter if it is a bobber.chopper, street warrior, tracker, or stocker.
I have seen some fairly nice bobbers stay up for months at 2K.

Hi Steve,
I'll add my vote to the 100% of "leave it alone you effin' Vandal!" responses you've already gotten.
OK, build a bobber if you must, just don't destroy a valuable antique bike to do it.

Last edited:
It'd be a shame to chop that bike up, those are getting more and more rare. If you insist on chopping one up, there could be money in it for you if you sold it and bought a "Special" as those tend to cost less, and it likely won't matter if you're chopping it. Besides... based on the pic you posted - "bad Penny" started life as a "Special" anyway.

I spent a ton of time looking through pics when I was getting started and once I found the bike that was my original inspiration, I went out and bought a bike. Based on what you are suggesting/asking I would recommend maybe working on getting the bike running first and "getting to know the bike" before you start throwing money at it. I had a pretty good idea of what exactly I wanted when I started, but my ideas are still morphing a bit and I spent way more than I estimated - which I kinda knew I would.

Last edited:
I'll throw my offer in I suppose. I have an 81 titled frame, good engine with Hughs Handbuilt PMA and Pamco ignition. New steering bearings, new drive chain, TC bros weld on kick stand. More in upgrades than you spent for yours and the ideal candidate for a bobber build. Assuming you have a title I'd be interested in swapping if your interested. I'm in central IL, not to bad if we met halfway.

I also started with a $300 barn find. I figured 6 months and maybe $1K. After 3 years and about 5K, i'm very nearly finished. I mean to say it will cost WAY more than you anticipated.

I built from scratch, started with no bike. I figured and budgeted 5K. My math estimates was equally as bad as Sparky's, mistakes, wrong parts, do overs, mistakes, issues, redo, more wrong parts, more mistakes....

When I opened this post and saw that bike and shiny tank I said, "dang he's gonna chop that?" and make no mistake I am not XS connoisseur or purist either and frankly have little to no love for stock bikes, I never figured I'd own one or even wanted one. Just not my thing.

That said... I'd dam sure own that one bone stock, not touch it and love it.

Hi Steve,
I'll add my vote to the 100% of "leave it alone you effin' Vandal!" responses you've already gotten.
OK, build a bobber if you must, just don't destroy a valuable antique bike to do it.

Fred, I never thought you would feel that way. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

So do I, Scott

PS Damn those pictures, Love to have that bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back