Wanted - looking for pickup coils for 83 special

yeah today it is final i upgraded to a pamco ignition system and that solved all the issues i was having. bike runs like brand new now. thanks to you all for the awesome advice.

Cool way to go with getting the PAMCO ignition. I was wondering if you could mail me back the pickup coil I give you, seeing how you don't need it and now I do for a bike that I am trying to put back together. I helped you now you could help me, let me know
Thanks

OK I been reading your thread and first you are jumping all over and not going threw the steps that guys are telling you.
1. Forget the electric start do that last has nothing to do with bike charging or shutting off
2 Bike will be around 12.5 at idle and when you rev past 2000 rpm should go up to 13 + volts if not you are not charging
3 If motor starts and idles fine and you twist throttle and it dies ITS FUEL
4 Running stock exhaust and stock air box if not carbs need jets
5 pull both plug out of bike check for week spark TCI could be bad
6 What is your plug setup for charging 6 pin Plugs if so you could plug your REG/REC right into the output of alt. and bypass the harness to see if it then charges so you will know if harness is problem.
When I get a bike in like this I use a cheater setup which is a old harness that is only the wires that charge and fire the bike up. This will show if everything works before it goes into the harness. I have had bad grounds on harness that drove me nuts.
Picture shows setup all you need to charge and have spark.
If you want to talk email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and send me your number I will call you to help.

I'm having a similar problem with my 1983 xs650. It idles fine, starts stuttering and backfiring when i rev it. The problem started while i was on the highway on my way home, going around 60 mph the bike starts stuttering. Made it home, but now the stuttering starts in the low range rpms. Recently replaced the rotor before this happened as it had charging issues. Now its charging fine, tested the rotor again its fine. When i unplug the regulator the problem is completely gone, bike revs up fine. Does this point to the pickup coils on the stator gone bad?

more likely a weak magnet on the rotor, check it's strength with a paper clip or small bolt. Where did you get the rotor?

The last rotor i had on the bike had a very weak magnet. I was epoxying a rare earth magnet that would fly off and leave me stranded. I got that rotor from mikesxs and after contacting them they sent me another rotor thats on the bike now. The magnet is much stronger, putting a wrench up to it has a strong slap. With the side case on the slap test is weaker but my wrench is still getting pulled to the case.

more likely a weak magnet on the rotor, check it's strength with a paper clip or small bolt. Where did you get the rotor?
The last rotor i had on the bike had a very weak magnet. I was epoxying a rare earth magnet that would fly off and leave me stranded. I got that rotor from mikesxs and after contacting them they sent me another rotor thats on the bike now. The magnet is much stronger, putting a wrench up to it has a strong slap. With the side case on the slap test is weaker but mywrench is still getting pulled to the case.

Back