Looking for replacement carburetors

watson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need to replace a carb on my stock '83 xs650 (previous owner JB Welded it back together and it has failed, it was glued in a spot I couldn't see until I removed it for cleaning). So far I have two options, purchase a pair of used '79's (I'm unsure about the jetting or condition of these) for $150 or buy a new set of "performance" aftermarket carbs from mikesxs for $300. I think the '79's are 38mm and mine are 34mm due to emission concerns. Am I right about the size difference? Does it matter? Will I have to rejet the '79's? Does my stock exhaust cause a problem? Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket set? What else am I missing?

It's a bunch of questions, thanks for taking the time to reply.

-watson

I would look for a replacement bs34 that used to be on an '81 and up. No '80; different float. Makes sure to get the correct side. Or pehaps just get the part that broke if possible. My local bike garage has lots of "parts carbs" around. From what I've been reading here, the performance carb is total frustration,

If stock carbs are worth $150 these days, I'm sitting on a gold mine! :). You should be able to find a set for considerably less than that.

You will probably have to rejet depending on your mods.

I'm not sure that the PWK's are available again, but like previously mentioned they can be hit or mis. Br ready to tinker if you do decide to go that route as they usually take some time to adjust and tune-in for your bike.

34, 38, it really doesn't matter in regards to performance. If you go from one size to the other you will have to change carb boots. I personally believe that the smaller BS34's will emerge as the preferred carb of choice for several reasons, but I will not get I to that.

There is a huge thread on the Mikes carb kit. They the search function. It is your new friend. Many, many pages of mixed reviews and some issues people have had as well as some that are very happy. These are not a "slap them on and go" kit. They take fiddeling, tuning and adjusting to get them to run properly.

If you want to keep it simple pick up a set of stock carbs, read the carb manual, rejet and adjust properly fand you will have many years of worry free performance. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I think stock carbs are best for most people and you can usually get them cheap ($40-$50 a set). The PWKs are a disaster in my opinion. I almost bought a set, so glad I didn't. They're not what they were originally purported to be - Keihin carbs - they're knock-offs and the quality is hit or miss.

Thanks for your help guys, I prefer stock mechanics in general. I appreciate the nudge.

I bought a set off of Mike and put them on my 77 xs650 barn find(4k miles) it fired right up and runs perfect. I am happy.

I feel like im always preaching these... but look into the Mikuni Vm Roundslides. I cant say enough good about them... 34mm dual roundslides work awesome on these bikes...

.02$

Back