Looking for some more "upswept" handlebars

michaelpthompson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just acquired a 1975 XS650 and I'm looking forward to some good times. First impression is that I really like it, but I would prefer slightly higher handlebars, similar to the Yamaha Special. Not a full "ape hanger" chopper style, but slightly higher and more upswept than the stock handlebars.

How hard is this to do, and how expensive? Should I just stay with stock, or is there a fairly simple way to get a little more laid back?

Newbie needs sage advice. Thanks.

So you are two posts into it and no replys to say Hi and welcome.

Hi and welcome. No advice for bars they are kinda like shoes. What one likes another doesn't.
Watch e-bay for a Yamaha service manual.
A complete manual not the supplement.

Welcome to the forum, MichaelP.
As Weekendrider recommends, you'll need a service manual.
Because it's easy to get in over your head.
Especially if your chosen handlebars need longer cables, hoses, and wiring.
Which also gets a little more expensive...

Hi MichaelP, and also, welcome. Agree with 2M and weekend; get a manual to start. I hope your bike isn't as much of a basket case as my '75. Mine needs everything rebuilt, repaired, reworked, or replaced. And that's just for starts! That's what you get for $200.00 and 3 bottles of booze!
Handlebars should be easy to come by. If you're staying with the stock risers, anything 7/8" will do. E-buy has them in abundance. Other makes also used 7/8" bars, so don't limit yourself with Yamaha stuff... Good luck, and send us pictures!

Hi Michael,
you DON'T want the Special's stock rototiller bars.
The bar height may be OK for you but the bar ends pointing back instead of out makes them an ergonomic disaster.
What could work for you is bars from a CB750 Honda.
If there's a bike swap meet convenient to you, there's always a table full of used bars. Grab up several in turn and hold them to see which one will suit you the best.
Warning! The 1" H-D bars are easily noted but beware the rarely seen BMW bars because they are 22mm vs the normal 7/8" (22.2mm) and you'll need a cheap plastic caliper to check that small but important difference. The bar hardware fits real nice but the bars won't fully tighten in the bar clamps.

I think I'm the only one on this forum who loved the specials buckhorns, they make the xs feel like a beach cruiser lol.

I think I'm the only one on this forum who loved the specials buckhorns, they make the xs feel like a beach cruiser lol.

Hi ninskrillz,
alas, like any other addict, you want to drag others into your nasty habit.
Don't be like that.
Be like me.
Install a sidecar.

OK, so thanks to all the advice, I've already ordered my first manual from Ebay.
s-l500.jpg

Seems very model specific, so I like that. Anybody else had experience with this particular one?

Welcome to the forum. I've the same model as you and love the classic style with lower bars. As TMXS said, depending on the height of the bars, you may have to change cables , brake hose etc.

As it turns out, a previous owner apparently put the Special bars on it already. At least so I am told. Haven't got it running yet, so I can't road test them, but I like the look.
Motorcycle1.jpg

Back