Looking for your opinions, feedback, experience and advice...

MplsMurr

1973 TX650
Reaction score
Long story short, I have been slowly turning my 1973 TX650 into a cafe racer by being quite anal and starting from the back and working towards the front. I have changed/replaced/adjusted just about everything and now I am on the front end. My idea here is to install some clip-ons, bar-end mirrors, shorty levers, and possibly a 3/4 fairing and then add a smaller head light. I might replace the current speedo/tach, but I love the look for some reason.

Anyway, I have it in my mind that I will buy Woodcraft clip-ons. Unless, you have a better alternative. My other bike, a 2003 Z1000, has Pazzo shorty levers and I love them. What would be a comparable shorty lever set? I have not found many reviews nor advice on levers outside of hydraulic clutch/brakes. What do you all feel about those on DimyCityCycle? Do I need specific clutch and brake levers or would universal work? Do I have to replace my master cylinder, perch, or anything aside from the levers? Do you recommend any specific levers? The mirrors I am not too concerned about. Should I consider the EZ-clutch cable with the YZ clutch lever from 650central? What would be an equal brake lever? How do I get shorter brake cables? I am currently using drag bars, with rearsets and stock levers. However, I bent the clutch lever when I was first learning to ride and the brake lever broke off a bit at the end when it fell over in the garage.

I was thinking of a front end swap from a GSXR since I found one for $600 and it might end up being cheaper to do so. If I went this route, which year GSXR and model would suffice for swapping out my '73 front end?

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate your inputs, experience, feedback, an anything you may have to offer me. Thanks!

Hi Murr,
the main thing about clip-on bars and shorty levers ain't so much their aesthetics as it is their practicality.
If you have short arms and a beer gut you ain't gonna be able to reach those clip-on bars.
Unless you have a grip of iron those shorty levers are gonna be hard to pull.

Back