looking into buying some pinstripe gear

tfusc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I would really like to start pinstriping and have been looking at all the different brushs, kits, and everything else that pops up in the search bar. my question would be what would be essential for a beginner. Any advice or suggestions on what to buy right off the bat would be great. thank you.

A very respected name is Mack Brush, Jonesville Michigan. Lots of literature too, I am real close to them. Walked in, showed some interest and bought a brush. They gave me magazines and other stuff. Around here there are a lot of people who learned from and travelled with the late Charlie Buzzard. Their preferred brush is a no. 00, I think, with a special cut done by the pinstripers. A piece of glass and some thick oil paint (rustoleum) is a good way to practice patterns. Brushes need special care. A good life for a single guy that wants to travel, or a settled guy that doesn't want to be too busy.

Scott

Last edited:
well like i said in my first post I have been searching the internet and on youtube. it seems there is a ton of info and i have looked at the kits but i was looking to see if someone would chime in and say "the kits are nice but..." or "you will be fine starting out with just".

Now..@mrtwowheel thank you for your info. its right along the lines of what i was looking for. i keep seeing the one shot paint but haven't seen anything about using rustoleum. i will look into that. also have seen alot about mack so i will purchase one of those. once again thank you. any other advice is appreciated.

well like i said in my first post I have been searching the internet and on youtube. it seems there is a ton of info and i have looked at the kits but i was looking to see if someone would chime in and say "the kits are nice but..." or "you will be fine starting out with just".

Now..@mrtwowheel thank you for your info. its right along the lines of what i was looking for. i keep seeing the one shot paint but haven't seen anything about using rustoleum. i will look into that. also have seen alot about mack so i will purchase one of those. once again thank you. any other advice is appreciated.

look on ebay that where i got my wifes pinstripping starter kit..

Mack Series 10 brushes are the standard to start with.. You'll probably be looking at 000 00 0 sizes. Lots of guys are using the Series 20 stuff too. As far as paint again One Shot is the preferred, I've painted with a few other brands and no major issues. I've used Kustom Shop pinstripe paint with good results I know they sell a tonne of stuff online, ebay specifically.

Pinstriping is a lot about the feel, you can feel when you have loaded your brush just right. You'll feel how your lines are going to pull. You have to get a few brushes and try it out. Some people don't like Mack brushes because of the size etc. etc.

Back