Looking to update tires to vintage oversize. Help!

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm trying to finish my cafe project up before the spring is out and am trying to figure out what tire sizes to get while my bike is at paint. I'm looking to get some vintage tires and like the look of the filled up forks and rear. Just wondering what sizes to look at. I'm using the the stock rims on my '79 standard. The current sizes of tires on it are:

Rear: 100/90-18
Front: MJ90H19 (The only information i could get from it)

These tires look just too skinny and small with the way i have the bike set up. Any tips ya'll have are helpful! The attached picture is the kind of look i'm looking for.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• tire example.jpg
    tire example.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 342
I guess you need to tell us for sure, is it a cafe project OR is it a "looks cool" bar hopper? Oversized tires levered onto stock rims is a sure way to degrade handling. You want big rubber AND handling then you are going to have to change to wider rim$. If you don't care about handling just stuff any old big tires in there. Firestone 400 front 450 rear have been jammed on the stock rims.

I just ran into this tire size the other day with some wide 19" rims a pair of these might give the look and handling for a cafe bike.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/693-195

The rim width is the rub, Probably a WM5 (3") Buchanan's has 19" Sun rims that size for 270 each plus spokes and you need to figure out fork/swingarm /chain clearance.

Well I live in north dakota so curves and canyon runs aren't much of a thing here. I plan on using the bike as a runabout to and from to work and school so handling isn't much of a concern. Although i do like hugging corners but i've always liked the look of fat tires and would like to try that on my bike. Thanks for the size info! It's a big help!

Back