Lost my gas cap key.. anybody have a spare?

Alex Wagers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to go for a ride today and misplaced my gas cap key...damnit!.. ( guess it could always be worse tho right? Lol ) anybody have a spare they’d like to sell? My bike is a 1980 special. Thanks!

They're all different and usually a match to your ignition key. If the cap has been changed then it probably won't match the bike's ignition key. To get a key that matches, you'll need to find the 4 digit key code number. It's stamped right on top of many of the locks but later models stopped doing that, probably for security reasons.

My local Yamaha shop had one made for me with the 4 digit key code number.

I know a Hill Jack that lost the keys to three bikes while on a thirty mile run. Imagine my, I mean, HIS surprise when he stopped to get gas and the keys were gone! One of the hazards of a heavy key ring and a side mounted ignition switch.......which brings to mind " all yer eggs in one basket ".

Poor folks have poor ways. Once home, he probed the lock cylinders that he didn't have a spare key for, removed the tumblers and was back in business.

Yes, that's another option. You can "gut" the lock, remove all the sliding plates, or "wafers" as they're called, and then any key that will physically fit into the lock will operate it. Even a small screwdriver or pocket knife could be used, or just a key blank that hasn't been cut. But, you would need to figure out which key blank you need, Yamaha used half a dozen different ones .....

VQvfXxv.jpg

But to access the lock and do any work on it, you'll need to get the cap open. That's pretty easy using one of these mini pry bars, you simply push the latch open .....

BVTP8gn.jpg

JJ9s2CK.jpg

InBk2se.jpg

NtoCI4b.jpg

Also, around 1980, Yamaha changed their key coding. They went from the 4 digit number used on the earlier models to a letter and 5 numbers. These new longer codes weren't stamped on the lock face any more.

Back