1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Lov voltage when reving

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kazoom, Aug 11, 2014.

1. kazoom

kazoom XS650 Enthusiast

Hi hope you wonderful people will take the time to help me out here cause i am puzzled.
    I have the mikes pma kit and when i measure the output voltage at idle its 14,5 but when reving it drops to between 3 and 7 volts ????
    Setup. the bike is running on a seperate battery and i am measuring directly on the red and green wire from the combined rec reg.

Best regards simon

2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

If the combined rec/reg isn't connected to a battery and system load, it can't properly regulate. So, those readings are somewhat meaningless. Plug it back into the system and repeat your voltage measurements...

3. kazoom

kazoom XS650 Enthusiast

So i checked out the voltage with a power source connected to the charging system its a sparx capacitor the voltage at idle was 14 volts and when reving it was 15-16 volts isnt that a little to much ? I will check with a battery today to see if there is any diffence.

4. pamcopete

pamcopete Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple

kazoom,

The PMA generates its maximum current at all times, unlike a conventional alternator. If there is no load on the PMA, the regulator has a hard time regulating. For this reason, you need to have the headlight on at all times that the engine is running to provide a load.

5. kazoom

kazoom XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks pete will try with the head light connected.

6. kazoom

kazoom XS650 Enthusiast

Pete your the man, working like a charm 14,5 around 3000 rpm, idle 8-9 volt with low beam on. A bit difficoult to start with the headlight on but thinking of making a switch to disconnect when kicking it.