Lov voltage when reving

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi hope you wonderful people will take the time to help me out here cause i am puzzled.
I have the mikes pma kit and when i measure the output voltage at idle its 14,5 but when reving it drops to between 3 and 7 volts ????
Setup. the bike is running on a seperate battery and i am measuring directly on the red and green wire from the combined rec reg.

Best regards simon

If the combined rec/reg isn't connected to a battery and system load, it can't properly regulate. So, those readings are somewhat meaningless. Plug it back into the system and repeat your voltage measurements...

So i checked out the voltage with a power source connected to the charging system its a sparx capacitor the voltage at idle was 14 volts and when reving it was 15-16 volts isnt that a little to much ? I will check with a battery today to see if there is any diffence.

kazoom,

The PMA generates its maximum current at all times, unlike a conventional alternator. If there is no load on the PMA, the regulator has a hard time regulating. For this reason, you need to have the headlight on at all times that the engine is running to provide a load.

Pete your the man, working like a charm 14,5 around 3000 rpm, idle 8-9 volt with low beam on. A bit difficoult to start with the headlight on but thinking of making a switch to disconnect when kicking it.

Back