Low fluid pressure below 55 degrees

SinisterMatti

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently replaced my front master cylinder with a Hughes Handbuild one and threw on a SS braided brake line for good measure. Everything works great during the day, but early in the morning when it's below 55 degrees F outside I have to pull the brake almost to the handgrip to get any stopping power. Later in the day after everything has warmed up the brake works perfectly. I never noticed this problem with the oem master cylinder and brake line. Any ideas why this is happening and if there's anything I can do to prevent it?

That's a very dangerous condition. I would remove that new M/C and put the stock M/C back on, before driving the bike again.

The stock M/C was made in Japan (Nissan I believe), and is a high quality unit.
These aftermarket sellers are selling a M/C made in China/Taiwan, for a low price, but guess what, they are low quality too.

These are brakes we're talking about, buy the best quality that you can, because your life may depend upon it.

When I wanted to change the size of the bore of my M/C, I bought a brand name that you may recognize (Brembo). Yes it cost about twice as much as the China/Taiwan units, but its safe and reliable, and worth every penny.

consider dumping that aftermarket stuff and put a rebuilt oem setup back on. fwiw, I've restored 5 xs650's now, including my current ride, all with original brake systems and I've never had a single failure or issue with any of them. I've rebuilt the m/c and the calipers with quality kits but again, never a problem after many thousands of miles. of course, ymmv... but get good brakes!

What could cause it to have lower pressure in the colder weather than the normal day though? I'm using the Yamaha brake fluid recommended for the bike.

What could cause it to have lower pressure in the colder weather than the normal day though? I'm using the Yamaha brake fluid recommended for the bike.

You may still have some air in the system which loses pressure with the cold air. Try bleeding the system again. :doh:

Aaron

I've never had that problem with them, I run them all year long on our personal bikes (my employee was riding in 30 degree weather 86 miles one way last year for a few weeks when his car was broken down)

Are you using Dot3 or Dot4 Fluid? If you have moisture/contamination in the fluid, it could be stiffer due to that. I would recommend a flush and new fluid. I have always run Synthetic fluid from a NEW bottle. Open containers will absorb moisture and cause issues as well.

Brewdude wrote an article a few years ago for The Horse, and recommended changing fluid every year for maximum performance - depending on how long you've had that system operational, it may be a good time to drain and re-bleed.

Let me know if you have any more issues, and If so, we'll replace it no questions asked.

Hugh

Back