Lower Front Forks

I was following a thread I found on jockey journal for an ironhead front end. I didn't know one existed for the Xs, its not very clear what length drop he was going for. I need a 2 7/8 drop. So do I put in a 2 7/8 spacer in and cut the bottom of the spring at @ 2 3/8?

On the Harley tread u just cut the length off the top of the spring and drop in a piece of PVC for a spacer. I like the Xs version better...... please advise because this is going to be tonight's project!

Posted via Mobile

- an experience here
- another option for those with an upper spacer..eg TX
fork_shorten_exploded_view.gif

So cut 2 7/8 out of the spring and add a 2 7/8 spacer to the dampering rod. Unless I want a preload then ad a 2 3/8 spacer.....?

Posted via Mobile

Ironsled77,

Well the length of the spacers you put on the damper rods is the amount of drop you'll get. So you want 2 7/8" spacers there. Since you are taking out about half of your travel (I mentioned before that I thought there was about 4" of travel, but have since read it's closer to 6" :doh:) you'll need to stiffen up your springs so you don't bottom out all the time.. The interesting part about this is since there are no spacers on the top of the springs, you have to cut (shorten) the springs (which will increase the spring rate) just to get the caps back on and not have a ton of preload. If you have time, I would add the proper length spacers on the damper rods, then cut the springs just as much as you have to in order to get the caps back on. Then check your sag and ride the bike to see if you feel like you need to increase the spring rate some more. If you need to increase the spring rate (it feels soft) and you need to need to decrease preload (not enough sag), then cut more off the springs (only up to 2 7/8" though). If the preload is good, but you want to increase the spring rate, you can cut some more off the springs, but then add a spacer on top of the springs to equal to the amount you just cut off. Keep doing this until the spring rate is good. If you try to stiffen the springs too much using this method, you'll eventually run into coil bind, but that probably won't happen with half the travel of your forks.

If you don't have time to mess around much. I would just add the 2 7/8" spacers, then cut 2 3/8" off the springs and put it all back together and mess with it later when you have time.

Also, since you will be stiffening the springs, and your sag will be less than before because of more preload, the realized drop will be slightly less than the length of the spacer you put under the damper rods. This should be fairly insignificant though (I think)

Damn Travis you hit the nail on the head, I can't comprehend stuff til I take it apart. And that cleared it up for me. I am taking it a part right now, gonna do it the right way first! Thanks again.

Posted via Mobile

i'd wager that a lot of us look at a lot of pics of bikes/builds on the net and some look great. cool to look at but does it run does it perform like a bike should in the bare essence
of a self propelled two wheeled machine? fine maybe. would you ride it as a daily rider if you were offered the chance. some won't make it to the end of the driveway.
sticking a motor between two wheels isn't a motorcycle. if it's not"ridable" what good is it- other than look at.i like lookin at motorcycles- beats anything else i can think of...

Back