lowered front forks (stiffer springs?)

Liftedzuki

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs650 with 10.5" shocks in the back and hhb 2" fork spacers..

I cut my springs 2",but it bottoms out way too easy. I think a little more aggressive spring rate might help?

I have the adjusters turned to the right.

Bike has low (13k or something) miles so I imagine the springs aren't too worn out.

Thanks

The stock set up only has about 4 inches of travel. You lowered the forks 2 inches. This reduced the travel to two inches. That's part of the issue.
When lowering the forks, does Hugh recommend cutting the springs? I might try putting the cut off parts of the springs back in. Put a washer between the two pieces of spring.
A lot of people that lower the forks use a heavier oil in the forks. This will slow the compression, possibly enough the minimize bottoming out.
Leo

Those pieces are long gone

Im going to try adding a little more oil and see how that feels, if not probably try little heavier then if still nothing else, I'll buy some new springs to mess with

Not the cheapest option, but if you're still not happy you could contact Racetech & they could make you a custom length set of springs taking into account the lowering spacers.

The stock set up only has about 4 inches of travel. You lowered the forks 2 inches. This reduced the travel to two inches. That's part of the issue.
When lowering the forks, does Hugh recommend cutting the springs? I might try putting the cut off parts of the springs back in. Put a washer between the two pieces of spring.
A lot of people that lower the forks use a heavier oil in the forks. This will slow the compression, possibly enough the minimize bottoming out.
Leo

First of all, at least the later (76 or 77 onwards) 35 mm XS 650 forks actually have 150 mm/ 6" of travel, not 4". Most modern sports bikes have around 120-125 mm or 5" fork travel. One can only assume the manufacturers arrived at that number by extensive testing. So lowering an XS fork 1" may be a clear improvement if done corrrectly, although reducing travel 2" may be less than optimal.

Secondly, spring rate and spring preload are two different things. Cutting a spring actually INCREASES spring rate, or in layman's terms: "Makes it stiffer"
So the cut stock spring already is a stiffer spring than it originally was.
I would suggest increasing the spring preload by making a longer preload spacer. Maybe 1" longer than the stock spacer to begin with.

And finally, the fork oil level will also influence how "stiff" the fork feels. Try increasing the oil level maybe 20 mm. A thicker fork oil will also increase both compression and rebound damping, again making the fork feel "stiffer"

For anyone interested in motorcycle suspension, I strongly recommend Racetech's book on the subject. Wilbers in Germany also have a great book, but that one is written in German, not English. And Tony Foale has written a great book, "Motorcycle Chassis Design". All these books are great reading for the technically minded, but the Racetech one would be my number 1 recommendation.

Back