lowering front forks by p ulling them through the trees

miller0613

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have lowered the back if my bike with the rebel shocks but the stance is a bit off so I would like to lower the front. When you lower the front by pulling the shocks through the trees do you just loosen the 3 bolts on ech side and force them through? or how is this done? and how much? until it hits the headlight ears I have read 3/4 inch and that looks about how far the ears are away. thanks

Yes, just loosen the bolts on the upper and lower trees and slide the tubes up through. Personally, I wouldn't go much more than 1/2". With the springs out and the lowers pushed all the way up, you only have about 7/8" between them and the lower tree and the rubber dust cover occupies some of this.

I lowered my Nighthawk 3" this way with no issues.

Bobber%209.jpg

Thanks for posting that diagram INXS.

So, to lower the forks say 2", you just cut 2" out of the upper spacer, and move the small 2" piece to the lower section?
Would cutting the main springs be required as well?

Thanks, mac. Unfortunately I have read that many times, and my forks are different from those in the tutorial.
I have an upper spacer, and I also don't have a thick small dampner spring like the one pictured in the tutorial. My small dampner spring is extremely thin, plus I have a small brass "thing" which the soft small spring cups into. The spacer won't work on my setup, unless I am overlooking something here.
I have a '76 if anyone is familiar with these forks.
Thanks.

Mine are lowered about 2". I will shorten them internally when I mount my 21" front wheel someday.
tree00223.jpg

ember, if you can, take a picture of your fork internals if you still have it all apart.

My camera is of very poor quality, but I will try to get some decent close up pictures this evening.

Here is the best I could do with my camera/lighting given.

This is the lower part of the dampner rod. You can see the brass "thing" I referred to and the thin spring which it cups onto and then there is a spacer cap which closes over the spring-

100_1587.jpg

100_1584.jpg

100_1583.jpg

and the top spring spacer-
100_1585.jpg

Hopefully one of you will have some advice for me!
Thanks, everyone.

Are my pictures that bad? Haha.
Anyone have this fork setup or have any advice on lowering what I have?

Not familiar with those forks but it still looks like you can do what the picture in inxs's post shows. Just put the cut spacer on top of the cup thing that goes over the little spring. Don't blame me if it doesn't work though :D :laugh:

Back