Lucille pulls another one on me....

Now THAT is a good idea Grizdl1!

As for the oil and wet readings - yes, I am sure that the numbers were 205 and 210 - which seemed very high to me as well. I suspect I put waaaayyyy too much oil in there. I used 5 thumbsquirts from my oil can - but I’m more accustomed to car engines which have much bigger bores.

Anyhow, the trend is pretty clear that my valves and rings seem OK.

Only needs about a teaspoon. May have overshot that a little.....;)

May want to check that borrowed compression rig before your next test (or you return it). I suspect that it may be well lubricated now. Not the best scenario for reading air pressure.

I'll readily admit, I don't miss working one bit now that I'm retired. I do miss the ability to scrounge stuff from job sites though, lol. Remember when you were a kid and your parents would get all over your case for using certain 4 letter words? Well, now that I'm older, I realized something ..... WORK is a 4 letter word, lol.

I'll readily admit, I don't miss working one bit now that I'm retired. I do miss the ability to scrounge stuff from job sites though, lol. Remember when you were a kid and your parents would get all over your case for using certain 4 letter words? Well, now that I'm older, I realized something ..... WORK is a 4 letter word, lol.

Too damned true 2M!!!:cussing:

Well, OK - so,in the latest chapter of this saga, a new theory on Lucille’s woes has merged:
  • broken clutch cush spring(s).
The other night after the CVMG dinner meeting, Bruce, our resident mechanical guru came over and had a listen to Lucille’s noise. He used my mechanics stethoscope and poked around for a good 10 minutes. His view is that the noise is down low in the engine and that one or more of the clutch cush springs (the ones built into the hub at the back of the assembly) is broken.

If that is the case, then it’s a fairly easy fix - and I’ve never been inside Lucille’s RH engine case cover - soooo, that’s where I’m going to look next. I did a new starter hairpin and the XS Performance SHCS replacement clutch screws on the Cafe bike, so, I’m ready for the task on Lucille - I just need to get in there and then if needed, acquire the right new parts.

.....more to follow.

PS after his inspection, Bruce took her out for a ride and he came back grinning. He said, “gee, I’ve raced XS650s on the ice for years, but I have never actually ridden one as a Standard street bike. He said, “this really is an extremely nice motorcycle - everything is in EXACTLY the right place! FYI, he and his partner hold the 2017 (or was it the 2016) AMA Ice Racing Championship on their XS650 sidecar rig.

Smart man!

Yep, they are nice bikes, very nice. All my BMW buddies can't understand why I'm so enamored with these 650s now. Well, let me relate a couple recent occurrences and maybe some light will show on the subject (not that I need it, I already love them, lol) ....

The tranny in my buddy's R90S started acting up recently, popping out of gear. I told him to drain the oil and see what came out. Unfortunately he found metal chips, big ones. We luckily found a local shop that does tranny work. I thought he would have to ship it out of state. But no matter, the repair bill will be around $1000. Yep, how do you like your Beemer now, lol.

But really, comparing our 650s to BMWs is apples and oranges. They're no where near the same in build quality or price. But they're also no where near the same in parts prices and upkeep costs. For a local, run around bike, I don't think you can beat the 650. Sure, it's no cross country rig, but it was never intended to be that. I still like the old BMWs, but I LOVE my 650, lol.

....and now, for the rest of the story.....

So, today I drained the oil - it came out pretty black and so that wasn’t encouraging. I had changed it earlier in the season - perhaps 800-1000 miles ago and everything seemed OK then, but I was a bit surprised by what I found next. When I removed the small strainer from the RH side cover, it had a noticeable amount of metallic material in it - again, not encouraging.

After that, I laid Lucille over on her left side and took off the RH engine case cover to have a look at the clutch and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary there - initially. I buzz-gunned the big nut off and all of the clutch basket components looked good - but behind the basket, I found that at least 2 of the 6 cush springs are loose (not broken, as far as I could tell) and so I’ll be replacing them. I didn’t get a chance to measure the friction plate thicknesses before our dinner guest arrived - but my gut tells me that they are OK.

Then I removed the sump plate and found that the filter was torn in the usual spot and both magnets had a fair bit of metal on them. In addition, there were two pieces of hard black plastic about 1.5-2” long. The cross section of each was about like a tooth pick.

Sooooo...., it certainly appears that I’m due for a top end job at a minimum. I’d guess that my timing chain guides are toast - so it’s a darn good thing that I managed to track down an NOS front AND rear guide last week - and they are on their way.

Anyhow, my goal is still to get her back together and ride down to the VYR event at the Iron Horse - but we’ll see.

Dang it.

Last edited:
Well Pete, at least you know more now that you did yesterday. You’ve got a lot of support and a danged good machine shop up your way. I got a feeling you’re gonna knock this right out!

Thanks Bob. I’m going to do the clutch and then get the engine out and run the head, barrels and piston up to London to Robin’s M/C shop friend - Terry Wolfe - and get those sorted out.

My key hope is that I’ll find something in the head that is causing that noise - unless it’s those loose or broken cush springs....

Hmmmmm....

Last edited:
Pete, I'm not sure I'd jump the gun on replacing those 'loose' cush springs. Seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Daniel and I each have a couple that will 'spin a bit.' I'm sure experienced members will chime in one way or 'tother,

Good you got those guides, looks like they'll be handy soon. Lots of time to get this done so you can make your event. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything. Had to be done sooner or later but we all want later don't we?

Pete, I'm not sure I'd jump the gun on replacing those 'loose' cush springs. Seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Daniel and I each have a couple that will 'spin a bit.' I'm sure experienced members will chime in one way or 'tother,

Good you got those guides, looks like they'll be handy soon. Lots of time to get this done so you can make your event. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything. Had to be done sooner or later but we all want later don't we?

Yup, I thought I had her nicely sorted out and figured that I’d do a thorough clean up and perhaps a top-end job in a leisurely way over the winter - but we don’t always get what we want. I sure appreciate all the support and help of all my buddies on this forum. At least I have a couple of other bikes to ride.

A good friend on the forum wrote the other day and noted that I’ve certainly had my share of trials with Lucille - and indeed, I have. However, every time I get to ride with her, it is all worth it.

She’s certainly a tough old broad, and she appears to have had a very tough life - but she didn’t count on being up against Maximum Pete.

Pete, I'm not sure I'd jump the gun on replacing those 'loose' cush springs.
Yeah.... a little rotation on those ain't bad. At least on the clutches I've dealt with (I ain't no XS guru though).
Does sound like the guides Pete.
Here's sumpin' I learned working and flying on helicopters.... you can train your butt and ears to recognize sounds and vibrations. For instance, if you hear or feel a 1 to 1 vibe/sound, that's one vibe (or clank) per main rotor revolution. If you hear/feel a 3 to 1 vibe... that's coming from the engine.
I could tell from the video that it was a 2 to 1 clatter.... two crank revolutions per one clank... That's valvetrain related.

Sorry, I just didn't have the heart to tell ya it wasn't the clutch. :( Guess I was hopin' I was wrong....

Well, thanks Jim but I don't think there is any harm in fixing a problem that’s as easy as that one.

I’ll pull the engine tomorrow - anyone wanna help?

Pete

Last edited:
Three of the 6 clutch springs will be loose in the hub, that's part of the design. They engage progressively, the 3 tight ones first then the 3 looser ones after the hub rotates on the slots a bit.

Those narrow long strips of rubber/plastic you found aren't uncommon. Those are the ridges or lips along the outside edges of the front guide, and they are usually what breaks off first. The rest of the guide may still be OK.

Neither of the above would drive me into an immediate tear-down, but that strange noise you're getting might.

Back