Lucille pulls another one on me....

Won't bother with a pic Pete. 2M's album covers it. Checked and yes, all mine have a channel.

Apologies for the hijack here Pete.
2M, reading that 'anybody know' thread you referenced above you stated:

The revised parts fiche shows that these older bikes use the new guide, my comparison in my album shows that it'll fit. The new version's screw mount base is smaller/different than mine, but should work fine, just needs the screwholes fixed. And, having that channel means that centering it is important now.

I haven't installed the new one yet. Installing the camchain was tight enuff using the original flat guide, but this new bowed version will make that even tighter. Maybe I've had it easy all this time, and will be catching up to the rest of you.

Also:

From an original 70-73 parts manual, front guide #27 was changed at engine # 0186xx

So I guess it is possible albeit somewhat more difficult to use the newer 01 variant on a 70-73? I'm thinking of the upcoming rebuild on my TX.

Secondly the engine number on my 73 TX is 2176xx, so is it possible that I would have the newer 01 variant channeled guide already?
Not sure what the '~608 note' reference means.

Edit: has a 6 hole tensioner on a 6 hole cylinder.

Last edited:
Thanks 2M!

images.jpg

Hi folks: I am attaching some photos of the timing chain guide that I bought online. As I have said, it is unused and appears to be well made. There is a piece of tape on it with the part number 256-12231-00-00.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pete
A428428A-E353-404F-90D0-29F60D1AE628.jpeg

84812673-B9B7-4B6C-8664-3D602A5F4733.jpeg

54315A4C-62F6-452C-8C01-5A16AA9C1695.jpeg

1C3656AD-4F46-4555-ABB2-6E9DA2FE65FA.jpeg

Pete, put a bolt in one of the holes and put a pic of that up here. The tell on OEM vs. repop is whether or not the holes perpendicular to the mating face.

Pete, that is the early model flat faced guide 2M refers to in his post above.
You need 256-12231-01-00.

From what I understand the 01 change from the 00 means Yamaha updated the part.
Good call Robin. I was so keyed in on the bolt holes, I dint' even notice it was flat... :yikes:

Plug it in!

Marty: unfotunately, it just isn’t the right part for my bike. I’ll get one tomorrow on my way to pick up my latest order from XS650 Direct (Canadian version of MikesXS) in Stratford, ON.

I certainly want to speak to the MikesXS rep. Frankly. I truly feel that we are (or could be) the luckiest part of the vintage bike community because we have a big sophisticated company like MikesXS who provide a huge range of parts for our bikes. The problem is that they seem to have cut costs on some parts and been sloppy on key dimensions on other parts and this has hugely affected their reputation and thus their sales. Many of their rubber parts are the wrong durometer (hardness) or they just don’t fit properly and some critical mechanical parts (such as the ##*@#$&## timing chain guides) don’t stand up. The starter hair clip springy thingy is simply wound from the wrong guage of wire. It would cost next to nothing to modify their process and make an excellent part - instead of marketing a part which is doomed to fail.

If they raised their prices by 5-10% - who would care, as long as the parts worked properly. I want to encourage them to tighten their specifications and relax their cost constraints a bit. Their customers would be happy - and their profits would increase.

Anyhow - I’m really looking forward to meeting the folks and to the whole trip.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
My old -00 flat front slipper has debonded, delaminated. My plan was to modify it with a SR-500 front guide, as in JimD54's mod.

Ramblings and alternative front guide:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/excessive-timing-chain-slack.42215/
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/xt500-front-guide-slipper.2636/

JimD54's mod.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-guide-mod.51730/

Or, this method. (Post #729)
http://www.xs650.com/threads/on-the-road-again-at-40-the-bike-that-is.49360/page-37#post-543357

But, if I may, I'd like to buy your -00 flat guide.
PM sent.

Back