Luthor's Build

Spend the 1K!!! It will be worth it!! If you don't have it now, save up for it, no rush man!! Get the bike done in good time, in your OWN time! You have no deadlines, so why sell up?

If you do sell, someone will be a lucky SOB!!!

This engine is a work of art. I admire the work and attention to details you put into it. Hope you decide to keep it because if you can do this to the engine, I can only imagine how clean your build would turn out.

Back from the dead. My apologies for falling off the face of the earth, but long story short, I'll be keeping the engine. I value it more than the bitch that broke my heart so that should give all a pretty clear idea of why I've been MIA. Just ordered the Ignition System:

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0906.html

And I picked up some small parts from powder coating. More updates and pics to come soon. Thanks to all for being patient.

Sorry man, that sucks balls! Glad you back on the bike build though! It will keep your mind busy! Give us a shout if you need to chat or vent, we're all here for ya bud!!

JDizon! Tried to send you a message but you have no space left! Went to Cali about a month and some change ago, and fell in love with it. DID NOT want to come back, but I'm VERY happy to say I'm moving there come this Fall. Bro, your build is looking sick! You did a lot of things that I had planned for the build. I'll take more time to read through the pages and get more motivation/inspiration from your build.

Welcome back bud! Look forward to seeing progress on your build.

Airwolfie, thanks man. I appreciate it. I ordered the oil delivery pipe from Heiden Tuning the other day but still no word on the shipping. It's coming from Netherlands so God knows when that shit will get here. I remember reading some bad reviews about the one that MikesXS sells so I decided to give the HT one a try. Need to buy the starter gear fix from MikesXS though, because the one I have looks pretty bad. Got lucky enough to find a starter for $9 on eBay so I'll be taking that apart and powder coating it. Initially I was gonna run kickstart only, BUT, after seeing the hills and conditions of the some of the roads in California, I rather be on the safe side in case I stall on a hill. LOL

Sorry man, that sucks balls! Glad you back on the bike build though! It will keep your mind busy! Give us a shout if you need to chat or vent, we're all here for ya bud!!

I initially wanted to go kickstart only, but after spending a few days in Southern California, and seeing the hills, and traffic, I'm gonna have to go electric starter as well. So I acquired a starter for $9.00 on eBay. I had discarded the previous one because it was pretty much garbage. Not saying this is any better-won't know until I open it. However, I have to make a trip for a smaller size impact screw driver because I'm not in the mood to strip those screws. Once taken apart, I can inspect it, and send the housing and brackets to powder coating.

While I was waiting for some stuff from MikesXS to arrive, I went ahead and took the cam covers to the powder coating place, and had some SS bolts/washers as well.

I had the original shift lever blasted, and powder coated as well. I have the replacement rubber on it's way from MikesXS. Eventually the controls will be custom, but for now, for looks, this will do. SS bolt as well.

I had read somewhere along the road that the oil delivery pipe that MikesXS sells wasn't very reliable, so I ordered this one from Heiden Tuning. It didn't take that long to arrive, or I really wasn't keeping track of time.

And... I went with the banjo bolts from ProBolt USA in SS.

Had to remove the starter block-off kit, ordered a new seal just in case, as well as a new seal for the starter shaft. I had purchased the OEM bolts for the cover, but seeing as everything is SS, might as well keep that same theme going on.

Now when I had the points cover installed, there was a gap, and quite noticeable if I might add so after doing some research I realized that the bearings were not properly set all the one in so I had to remove...

Here's the ignition system still in the bags/boxes... And before anyone mentions it, I WILL NOT ruin a beautiful looking engine with that FUCKING YELLOW!

Unfortunately, I had sold my work bench when the idea of selling the engine had crossed my mind. The engine build is close to being completed so I see no reason to buy one, when I'll be moving in 6 months. For now, this is how everything sits.

Now time for a beer!

Last edited:
"Pregrid"?

I got a smaller impact screwdriver and went to town on the screws. Managed to get them out but it wasn't easy. Not pleased with how the long screws are, so I found some on eBay that I should've bought yesterday. Hope they're still available. The smaller ones I'm sure I can find at the hardware store. Here's the core:

If anyone feels like saying something about the quality of the starter, etc., please feel free to do so!

Now THESE FUCKERS I went to town with the impact screwdriver and NOTHING! Damn! I'll give them a try again today. Not sure about using PB Blaster on them and getting some on the inside parts...

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!

PS - been a while since i have heard the term `pregrid`

SCCA....?

A long, long time ago there was a race track complex here in Northern CA. It started out as Fremont Drag strip in the late 50's. Later they added a 3/8 mile banked dirt oval, motocross track, speedway track and more. I raced on the oval, but spent most of my spare time there for years. It closed in '88. Damn I miss that place.

How about a heat gun to read the temperature and a propane torch.

Get to 200F and cool, several times, using heat gun to watch temps.

You are fighting tapered head screw that is probably put there with lots of Red Locktite.

Hope you don't do more damage than good. Be nicer to test on old dead starter motor.

Good luck.

Who said you don't learn something new every day? Thanks for sharing a bit of motorcycle history with us. :thumbsup:

A long, long time ago there was a race track complex here in Northern CA. It started out as Fremont Drag strip in the late 50's. Later they added a 3/8 mile banked dirt oval, motocross track, speedway track and more. I raced on the oval, but spent most of my spare time there for years. It closed in '88. Damn I miss that place.

I'm gonna mess around with it some more tomorrow morning to see if I can get it apart. If by some reason I fuck it up, I only spent $9.00 on that starter anyway. :laugh:

How about a heat gun to read the temperature and a propane torch.

Get to 200F and cool, several times, using heat gun to watch temps.

You are fighting tapered head screw that is probably put there with lots of Red Locktite.

Hope you don't do more damage than good. Be nicer to test on old dead starter motor.

Good luck.

Back