Luthor's Build

What a great thread! Just a quick question because of my own experience. Did you use any liquid gasket when you put the two sides of the engine case back together? I ask because you can't see any slop at the seam in your pics. It seems to me no matter how I tried, mine was pretty sloppy. Awesome work!

Thank you. I did use liquid gasket when I put the engine halves together. I used a brush and was very careful not to put any towards the end because of that exact same reason. As soon as I put them together I wiped off the excess that was coming out from the pressure after the final torque.

What a great thread! Just a quick question because of my own experience. Did you use any liquid gasket when you put the two sides of the engine case back together? I ask because you can't see any slop at the seam in your pics. It seems to me no matter how I tried, mine was pretty sloppy. Awesome work!

Hmm... Cheap rarely equals good my Australian friend.

wished I lived in the USA. cheap hardware/tools, ample xs650's to buy.

So here are two shots of the most recent progress:
kqw8.jpg

ni63.jpg

But... I forgot to put this on (Original pic by Airwolfie)
w0or.jpg

So that's something to do tomorrow...
And then when I was putting the final stud for the tappet covers... It didn't go in like the others so I decided to remove it and make sure the stud didn't come defective or something. Needless to say, I'm quite annoyed. I went to the hardware store and got a broken screw/stud remover and the fucker broke in there as well. I considered drilling the fucker and going with a bigger size but the center punch wont even make a scratch on that broken stud remover inside the stud and I have no desire to damage the aluminum parts. Ugh!
qsx7.jpg

Thank you. I did use liquid gasket when I put the engine halves together. I used a brush and was very careful not to put any towards the end because of that exact same reason. As soon as I put them together I wiped off the excess that was coming out from the pressure after the final torque.

Hmm... Cheap rarely equals good my Australian friend.

I'm certain this had nothing to do with my quality control:

full

Hahaha! That's awesome! Start 'em young. And yeah, I'm definitely taking it to a shop this Monday. I'd rather pay $40 for them to get it done, and hopefully well done or if everything else fails, I'll get another one off eBay. I've seen them cheap-just not in the mood to start blasting again.

Thats a real bummer dude. Just make sure you buy both halves as they only match that way, one top half won't fit another bottom............

Yup. I'm sure the shop will be able to get them off. Gotta shoot the guy an email first. These came in the mail yesterday. A good blasting in the cabinet will get them looking good and I already have the o rings that came with the set from MikesXS.
Thats a real bummer dude. Just make sure you buy both halves as they only match that way, one top half won't fit another bottom............

Odd. Don't know why the pic isn't working. It was just a diagram anyway. Not important since those are the parts I got off eBay. I'm not sure I understand the issue... I just pulled a 13 hour work day so I'm a bit loopy.

Ok. I just read the last two pages of the build. For what I see, and please bare with me after a 13 hour shift, is that your guide bar notch wasn't fitting with the selector plate? Am I correct? If I'm not mistaken, those little holes on the selector bar are for lubrication, right? And we all know how nothing is easy without lubrication... Hehehe Are you gonna have to tear it down again?

Pretty much what you said bud. I will have to get into the right side again and fix it. Rather now than trying to source a new engine!!!

I think, and I hope, that you can almost wiggle it so it can go across. If I'm not mistaken, when I was working on that particular part I just went ahead and moved it with a finger, but when I pulled it off, I could still wiggle it to go across. I sincerely hope you don't have to take everything apart! My goodies came in the mail, but I forgot to put my signature on the note, so they'll be redelivered tomorrow. On a good note, my valve head cover will be ready on Friday. :thumbsup: I should be buying/installing the new clutch repair kit by next week.

Pretty much what you said bud. I will have to get into the right side again and fix it. Rather now than trying to source a new engine!!!

Back