Luthor's Build

I was quite happy to receive more goodies from MikesXS, but once I laid out the parts I noticed this:
2ox4.jpg

They sent me one on the mail right away.
Pretty much everything laid out:
lmw8.jpg

vabv.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up that part from the machine shop tomorrow, but I'll need a degree wheel to find TDC before I secure the cam chain, etc.

I managed the blast some little parts last Sunday since I didn't get a chance to pick up the part from the machine shop for that broken stud. The shop only charged me $40 and I'm very pleased with their price, and work. I was really hoping they wouldn't scratch the aluminum, etc.
jdxr.jpg

These are the ones I got off eBay after realizing they were discontinued. New seals after a blast.
bdx.JPG

And they're in.
vm9i.jpg

However, all the rocker plugs fit well except one. I'm thinking the thread needs to be chased again but have no idea of the diameter so I'll probably head out to the hardware store sometime tomorrow morning, or even today to see if I can find a chaser for it. In the meantime, I'm really digging how the stainless steel plugs look.
lg5r.jpg

And I went with the stainless steel crown nuts along with brass washers.
oc0h.jpg

Clutch kit coming in the mail tomorrow...

MikesXS. I had to go to the hardware store and pick up a thread chaser 14mm, meant for spark plugs, and chase the thread on one of the holes. I think the PO messed up the thread and I didn't notice.

More goodies came in the mail yesterday. I went ahead and bought the clutch kit by MikesXS, along with some other clutch related parts.
ix1m.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a mixing bowl in my kitchen that could fit all the plates and have them completely submerge in oil for at least 24 hours.
4j6v.jpg

hdiq.jpg

The clutch kit also brought the gaskets.
tz94.jpg

And also the piston stop from Summit Racing came in the mail yesterday. But the degree wheel won't get here until Wednesday so I still won't be able to work on the timing.
7t6x.jpg

So while enjoying my 3rd cup of coffee and listening to some Metallica on the background, I decided to start getting the first stages of the clutch assembly together while the plates marinate in oil until tonight.
ar9r.jpg

All the washers, spacer and upgraded needle bearing laid out in order:
ts65.jpg

Following Airwolfie's build. First one in:
k5j3.JPG

Then the second one:
3tvs.jpg

Then the spacer:
i169.jpg

And then:
azhj.jpg

5gzn.jpg

i0ck.jpg

c4ml.JPG

5q9s.jpg

91rl.jpg

The one with the lip...
quc3.jpg

2tj4.jpg

The larger one...
7mtc.JPG

7rc8.jpg

The one...
qaky.JPG

llkz.jpg

And...
p2jb.jpg

Now if I'm not mistaken, the tips of the wire are supposed to go through the hole and keep it in place... For now it stays like that because I got shit to do, and I ran out of coffee. :-D

Few hours @ work, a brew, good music and off we go...
2kqq.jpg

Pretty much self explanatory, just alternate.
0kb9.jpg

And then:
twnv.jpg

lzaa.jpg

rb4n.JPG

whbh.JPG

Ball goes in...
u7v8.jpg

Little bit of lubrication, and in goes the mushroom tip... Hah!
kgu5.jpg

Holes aligned:
o5qf.jpg

And the new kit from MikesXS goes in. Hopefully the torque was good enough.
ved7.jpg

And now to enjoy the rest of the beer, organize the workbench (damn OCD) and tomorrow to pick up the powder coated crankcase cover.

Sweet :thumbsup:

I pulled off my clutch basket today and there is no lock tab for the nut on the front of it, did that come with the kit? Or do some models use that and some don't?

Are the steel plates the same on both sides? I know on some of our MX bikes one side had a distinct "sharper" edge the manufactures wanted to be facing a certain way.

I'll be installing new plates next week so this was helpful!

If you want, check YamahaPartsHouse.com for the right year/model and check on the clutch diagram to see if there's a locktab. I would imagine all have it, but just to make sure. I did some research regarding the plates and I found no info. It did cross my mind but both surfaces are equal.

Sweet :thumbsup:

I pulled off my clutch basket today and there is no lock tab for the nut on the front of it, did that come with the kit? Or do some models use that and some don't?

Are the steel plates the same on both sides? I know on some of our MX bikes one side had a distinct "sharper" edge the manufactures wanted to be facing a certain way.

I'll be installing new plates next week so this was helpful!

Dang dude, that cover looks badass!! I'm a bit concerned regarding your lock tab, it should be bent right up against the flat of the nut, not away like yours is.

@RD51, some years had them, others didn't. Personally I would prefer the tab as it's safer IMO. I think most kits come with it.

I actually bent it all the way against the flat of the nut, just didn't take pictures. My gloves were oily and I didn't wanna get my iPhone all messed up.

Dang dude, that cover looks badass!! I'm a bit concerned regarding your lock tab, it should be bent right up against the flat of the nut, not away like yours is.

@RD51, some years had them, others didn't. Personally I would prefer the tab as it's safer IMO. I think most kits come with it.

Oil pump installed with new nut, washer and stainless steel screws.
wyo1.jpg

Kickstarter shaft seal.
l12k.jpg

rgo2.jpg

Tach seal in, however I need the o-ring, and the washer that goes all the way at the bottom of the assembly.
hthx.jpg

Just purchased a set of dowel pins for the crankcase covers, along with a kit of stainless steel screws for the engine.

I actually bent it all the way against the flat of the nut, just didn't take pictures. My gloves were oily and I didn't wanna get my iPhone all messed up.

Ok cool, just thought I'd put that out there! Oily gloves and Iphone never a good combo!! Lucky mine has a cover over it!!:D

Yeah I checked again this morning to make sure I didn't miss it. It definitely does not have one, but the clutch boss I have does not have the indentations for the lock tab washer. I definitely agree it's safer. The only thing I can think of is to find a tab washer that is similar to the front sprocket lock tab washer. If not I'll probably use some blue lock tite

Back