Luthor's Build

Just something to add... Yamaha still sells the exhaust gaskets and instead of the paper crap you get from Mikes, they are the full copper/wire mesh. I also want to say they were about the same price too. Im sure the paper ones work just fine, I just have never been a fan of them.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it. Not entirely sold on MikesXS exhaust gaskets.

Just something to add... Yamaha still sells the exhaust gaskets and instead of the paper crap you get from Mikes, they are the full copper/wire mesh. I also want to say they were about the same price too. Im sure the paper ones work just fine, I just have never been a fan of them.

if my future self was going to buy this engine from your future self and i saw this thread pre buy id be happy to have an engine so nicely gone through. itll show in your motorcycle build too! god im going to have a headache once i put together my engine. i should follow your steps and do like you do!

Positive feedback like this Jake Horton, really gives me more motivation to keep at it and pay attention to detail. Thank you for the words of encouragement. And once you start putting yours together, and seeing it take shape from a bunch of gears, nuts & bolts laying around, well, there are no words to describe it.:bike:

if my future self was going to buy this engine from your future self and i saw this thread pre buy id be happy to have an engine so nicely gone through. itll show in your motorcycle build too! god im going to have a headache once i put together my engine. i should follow your steps and do like you do!

The degree wheel arrived in the mail way sooner than I anticipated. Having a few hours off before work, I went ahead and did a bit of research on Hugh's Hand Built TDC and found a great DIY he wrote. And let me say this, he is awesome. His customer service is beyond amazing, not to mention the quality of his work, EVEN when he had the flooding at his old shop. This is the article: http://hughshandbuilt.com/2012/12/tdc-and-how-to-find-it/

Here's the Degree Wheel by MotionPro
30tz.jpg

I used a series of drill bits to increase the whole up to 12MM after carefully measuring the thread it'll go around. I also have a Craftsman Metric Tap & Die set, from where I got the idea of using the 6MM tap drill bit as a marker.
xeyc.jpg

Two 12MM huts along with a split washer should hold it snug and tight while rotating the crankshaft from the clutch side as described on HHB DIY.

TDC was found. I have to admit, it wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. Then again, nothing is.
3vkn.jpg

Camshaft goes in. Making sure that there's no chain slack on the front and that it's at TDC following the markers on the camshaft.
hmr0.jpg

lgs.JPG

Bearings on.
xnnx.jpg

Now give me some head...
epxq.jpg

Add some washers...
yt16.jpg

And brass nuts...
13nn.jpg

Then while following the torque specs/sequence, one of the fucking engine studs either broke, or stripped the upper crankcase. I wasn't even doing the recommended torque! I was increasing them throughout each torque cycle. Fuck. I am BEYOND pissed right now. I found a new one on eBay, but just thinking of what a pain in the ass it will be to take all the top end apart. Worst case scenario: complete top end tear down, find the stud fucked the thread on the upper crankcase cover-have to split the cases, take the upper engine case to the machine shop for a heli coil. I seriously need a fucking drink.

TDC was found. I have to admit, it wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. Then again, nothing is.
3vkn.jpg

Camshaft goes in. Making sure that there's no chain slack on the front and that it's at TDC following the markers on the camshaft.
hmr0.jpg

lgs.JPG

Bearings on.
xnnx.jpg

Now give me some head...
epxq.jpg

Add some washers...
yt16.jpg

And brass nuts...
13nn.jpg

Then while following the torque specs/sequence, one of the fucking engine studs either broke, or stripped the upper crankcase. I wasn't even doing the recommended torque! I was increasing them throughout each torque cycle. Fuck. I am BEYOND pissed right now. I found a new one on eBay, but just thinking of what a pain in the ass it will be to take all the top end apart. Worst case scenario: complete top end tear down, find the stud fucked the thread on the upper crankcase cover-have to split the cases, take the upper engine case to the machine shop for a heli coil. I seriously need a fucking drink.

Oh man that sucks!

Dude....:banghead::eek:

Look on the bright side, second rebuild will go much quicker. But I do hope it's not a top end rebuild. Can you get the nut off? Or is it stuck? If it's the thread on the top part of the stud, maybe you can tap it and stick a slightly smaller nut on it?

Lost for words man, good luck..............:thumbsup:

I'm quite glad I read your comment before I even attempted anything. I was actually so mad yesterday that I couldn't even think straight. So I left the engine alone and went out to grab a movie and a drink. The nut would spin, and spin. I did hear a loud crack similar to when the engine studs break like it has happened before to all of us at some point. I proceeded to take the nut off just now, and I marked a straight line on the top of the stud to see if it was actually the stud that was spinning or the nut. If I'm not mistaken it's the nut, but its weird, because I just chased the thread on the nut and tried again, and nothing. Keeps spinning, but I took one of the old nuts that I had laying around, and it works like a charm. Um... WTF?! :wtf:

Dude....:banghead::eek:

Look on the bright side, second rebuild will go much quicker. But I do hope it's not a top end rebuild. Can you get the nut off? Or is it stuck? If it's the thread on the top part of the stud, maybe you can tap it and stick a slightly smaller nut on it?

Lost for words man, good luck..............:thumbsup:

One of life's little mysteries dude!! Leave it alone, it works!!! LOL!!

I cant explain it, maybe the thread in the S/Steel nut is shot or wrong, who knows.

I did wonder how you would strip one of the studs as I could not get mine of for the love of anything!!

I'm quite glad I read your comment before I even attempted anything. I was actually so mad yesterday that I couldn't even think straight. So I left the engine alone and went out to grab a movie and a drink. The nut would spin, and spin. I did hear a loud crack similar to when the engine studs break like it has happened before to all of us at some point. I proceeded to take the nut off just now, and I marked a straight line on the top of the stud to see if it was actually the stud that was spinning or the nut. If I'm not mistaken it's the nut, but its weird, because I just chased the thread on the nut and tried again, and nothing. Keeps spinning, but I took one of the old nuts that I had laying around, and it works like a charm. Um... WTF?! :wtf:

I hear ya.

Can't explain it, but say thank you, get a new nut and continue on. Rather be lucky than good!

I ordered a new stainless steel nut from MikesXS, along with:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-6504.html
And some other goodies such as a new spring, o-ring, washer for the cam chain tensioner, and some other goodies such as a brass tach drive eliminator from MonsterCraftsman, dowel pins for the crankcase covers.

One of life's little mysteries dude!! Leave it alone, it works!!! LOL!!

I cant explain it, maybe the thread in the S/Steel nut is shot or wrong, who knows.

I did wonder how you would strip one of the studs as I could not get mine of for the love of anything!!

Glad to see the stud wasn't broken after all! My heart sank for you when I read that.

Did you use a new cam chain? If so how was riveting the new one? Never done one so I'm trying to gather as much info about it before I do within the next week or so!

Not as glad as I am! LOL Let's hope the new nut works. If it doesn't, I'll have to remove all the SS nuts, bead blast the old ones and I'll have them powder coated flat black and install them. I think it will create a nice contrast on the head if I have to go that way. Still hoping I don't.

I did use a new cam chain. I went with this one:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/52-4008.html
However, I had to rivet it before even putting the camshaft in, because you barely have any slack to wiggle the camshaft in there. The description says you might have to pry the last tooth but I never had to. Just make sure you don't put the bearings on the camshaft and you'll have plenty of space. It'll take a minute. Just be patient. I bought this since further down the road I'll have to rivet the drive chain as well.
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/35-0111.html

Glad to see the stud wasn't broken after all! My heart sank for you when I read that.

Did you use a new cam chain? If so how was riveting the new one? Never done one so I'm trying to gather as much info about it before I do within the next week or so!

Not as glad as I am! LOL Let's hope the new nut works. If it doesn't, I'll have to remove all the SS nuts, bead blast the old ones and I'll have them powder coated flat black and install them. I think it will create a nice contrast on the head if I have to go that way. Still hoping I don't.

I did use a new cam chain. I went with this one:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/52-4008.html
However, I had to rivet it before even putting the camshaft in, because you barely have any slack to wiggle the camshaft in there. The description says you might have to pry the last tooth but I never had to. Just make sure you don't put the bearings on the camshaft and you'll have plenty of space. It'll take a minute. Just be patient. I bought this since further down the road I'll have to rivet the drive chain as well.
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/35-0111.html

Fingers crossed!

Ok got it. Much appreciated!

I was basking in how clean and insidey everything looks, and then I started wondering if you spray painted everything silver, including inside the motor?

Back