Luv my 77 xs650 BUT might give er up for Kawi W800!!

Even in loonies I think that's a stretch.
Not trying to pop your bubble and by all means tell your wife that. But there are limits on what XS650's will usually sell for, no matter the "investment".

gggGary speaks the Truth. The ass-whipping I took when I sold mine still stings. I had over $5000 tied up in mine, was willing to sell it for $4000 and after a year finally gave it away for $1800.

If you REALLY want to hear a sob story, I'll tell you about the 1938 Farmall F-14 I rebuilt and subsequently sold.

It is, unfortunately a universal truism: buying something old, "fixing it up" and reselling virtually NEVER results in a positive cash flow. It's corollary: It's virtually ALWAYS cheaper to buy one ready to go than to buy a clunker and fix it up.

Not nearly as much fun tho...

I agree with the guys here. Keep both if you can. Not worth the bother selling, cause you will get another....that's what I did. Really missed the vibes of these bikes. Nothing like it in my mind. I still regret have sold my 77 :doh::doh::cussing::cussing::(:(. I would rather have it sit in my garage to tinker and ride once in a blue moon that to give it away. It is worth more to me that a few grand or even a few hundred.

I also expect our XSs will appreciate more in the years to come, especially the ones that have remained original. Hondas of the era already have and the XS is undervalued. So if you hold onto it and take care of it, chances are good it will just go up.

Good points BUT here in Ontario Canada based on what ive seen if the bike is perfect running/riding and
in mostly original (very important) condition with all the updated stuff ie: Electronic ignition,Low original kilometres they are
fetching pretty good numbers. Important ,unfortunately its only the early stuff thats getting these numbers and not the specials as far as ive seen. Even mine which I paid $4200 for as the original owner had close to $7000 Can already invested and it still wasn't done or ready to ride but the motor had really low k and thats why the previous owner purchased it and proceeded to strip it down.I personally saw all the bills and he wasn't kidding. Things like Mikes New Aluminum rims,ss spokes, new rubber and tubes,Gas tank, powder coated frame, forks,wheel hubs, all new bearing, bars,brakes and calipers (double disc) hoses everything on handle bars other than k switch (I did that) headlight, powder coated fenders, new electric harness, battery,piston rings just because motor was apart to reseal.ect ect.Your probably correct ,mine wont fetch those higher numbers .But the first couple years if mint are getting $7000 Can. After thinkin about it more I probably wont sell it
as I have spent more time with this bike than my wife! She will surely confirm that.That and I have it almost done to my liking and im a picky bastard. I guess sometimes in life as we get older the money becomes less important and just keeping things we like and enjoying them prevails.I will be 56 next month and im finally starting to think like that, everything is not always for sale if the price is rite which it usually isn't. ps Superjet,i hear u,i already had a1980xs650G
sold it for new Harley Sporter 1200,guess what, i sold the Sporty 2 years later and got the 77 I have now.Sometimes im slow to learn lessons!

Last edited:
Every time I see an ad for a vehicle that reads "[big buncha] dollars invested," it makes me shake my head. First off, what the seller has spent often has little or nothing to do with the value of what he's selling. Second, an investment is an asset like stocks, mutual fund shares, real estate, or some collectibles, which one buys with the expectation that it will increase in value. A hobby is entertainment, and money spent on a hobby is an expense, not an investment. I've spent money on my XS650 with the expectation of using and enjoying the machine, and I don't expect to be repaid for that any more than I'd expect to enjoy a movie and have my ticket money returned when it ends.

Sorry to join the downer chorus, but I see some of the prices asked on Kijiji in Ontario and think that the reason the over $3,000.00 ads disappear is that the owner gets tried of crickets or annoying folks who want to buy the wire wheels only and pulls the ad. I feel fortunate that I was able to sell 2 complete bikes this summer, (80 and 77 XS's) both factory stock and running order, my combined recovery was less than half your suggested asking. Keep it and get some vintage insurance ($125.00 or so) on it so you can ride up to 3000 km a summer on it and get a modern fuel injected bike, say a FJR1300, or a Suzuki SV for touring (or a FJ-09!!)
Another unasked for opinion from me is that the modern retro looking bikes are phoney stand-ins. One of the reasons we ride old stuff is that it may take us back, pride of our own workmanship, or the lower initial investment in it. I know that in the course of an hour ride on my 76 XS, I will get more real motorcycling than I can get in half a day on my FJ-09, but I would not give up either one.

You were talking about performance, but there will not be much difference, relatively speaking, especially considering what you'd be paying for it.

Let me just say that anyone can go out and buy a new motorcycle. Also, it will depreciate rapidly. Having a vintage collectible bike has a lot of benefits including it appreciating yearly.

Every vintage bike I put time and money into that I sold I ended up regretting. I would recommend keeping your standard xs650. They have a great following, and are plenty fast and super reliable.

I am sure you would like the kawasaki too, but the xs650 is probably a better investment.

Back