MAC exhaust build time

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just found out that I'm looking at 15+ weeks for a 2-2 mac exhaust with megaphone mufflers... Not to mention $300+.
Think they're worth it? I'm having second thoughts.

Dunno. I've got a MAC 2-1 i picked up but i haven't even heard it yet. I think i'm going to slap it on my friend's 81 to see what it sounds like. I'd put it on mine, but i'm entirely in lust with my Commando's.

got 'em new from Mike's. I can't recommend the kit enough - came with everything, including new nuts for the exhaust studs and new exhaust gaskets, and everything fit perfectly.

It sounds deep and rumbly, quiet enough that i never get a second look from the cops, and it's not annoying on long trips, but they definitely roar when you're on it.

I think i ordered them on Wed before noon, and they showed up Thursday before 4pm. Xs-Direct is pretty fast to toronto via fedex ground.

Pics: It's kind of dark in the garage and they're kind of dirty, but here you go.

Attachments

• 20100303908-small.jpg
    20100303908-small.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 20100303907-small.jpg
    20100303907-small.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 324
So far, they're the best I've found. Compared to the cost for pipes on just about any other bike, they're quite the bargain. We should consider ourselves lucky to have low cost options like this.

I have a Mac 2-2 setup on my 78 Special.
I must say I am pleased with thier fit and sound.
If you buy them I have a couple of suggestions from my own experience.
First replace the nut and bolts for the muffler clamp and go get some hi strenght nuts and bolts which won't break when you tighten them up as you really have to crank em to prevent leaks.
Next replace the flanges on the head pipes with a set of OEM flanges from a original set of headpipes.
The set I bought 4 years ago had these crappy looking flanges,so I filed the tabs which held them on and replaced them with my originals.
You must double up the exhaust gaskets to get the proper flange to engine clearence.but after 4 years no leaks.
You can see mine if you go to my profile and check out my photo album.

I would skip the mac exhaust,not trying to offend anyone but I really think it's worth it to spend a little more money and get something that will last a lot longer and give you better performance.

- i had, or rather still have somewhere, a set...found they rusted real fast, worked ok-kind of, replaced them pretty quickly

I'm a big fan of SuperTrapps - look and sound good, black, brushed or polished. Get the SS headers 2-2 or the 2-1from Mikes and clamp o some Supertrapp universals. You can get them at Summitt Racing for $165/each.

Bubbs is making exhaust systems for the xs again. I have an old set on my 77 2 into1 and there pretty damn good.That Gordan scott dude is making up some exhaust systems also and he seems to be pretty passionate about it. I"ve never really cared what they sound like as long as they perform well.

Thanks for all the info!
If I find something else before the mac's are built, I can always cancel the order.
Just want something quick, it's getting warmer every day.

Cancel the order and check out omars site.Mac's rust out in a couple of years,I wouldnt put em on my bikes

As it turns out, the new MAC's will be arriving in a couple of days... 2-2 Headpipes and megaphones.
I'd like to do the install right the first time. Sorry, lots of questions.
Obviously, proper tuning is essential but until I find somebody with skills, that'll work for beer... should I try "Blue-shield", "Dyno-kote" or a high-temp paint to avoid discoloration?
Would like to prevent rust as well... any good products out there?
I've also read some people use a muffler sealant and loctite while others use anti-seize.
A buddy recommended wiping down the pipes with alcohol before starting to remove fingerprint "burn-in" ?
Pretty sure I need replacement rings or gaskets, not sure how many or which kind.
And finally, what was the general consensus on Exhaust Port Optimizers?
Thanks again everybody.
A couple pics of the old ones with a pretty big gap:

Attachments

• P1010783.jpg
    P1010783.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 182
  • P1010749.jpg
    P1010749.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010757.JPG
    P1010757.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 181
Pulled the pipes off today and found poor excuses for gaskets:

Side note: ordered more from Mike's and the shipping costs more than 2 pairs of gaskets do.

Attachments

• P1010804.JPG
    P1010804.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010806.JPG
    P1010806.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
.. should I try "Blue-shield", "Dyno-kote" or a high-temp paint to avoid discoloration? ....
A buddy recommended wiping down the pipes with alcohol before starting to remove fingerprint "burn-in" ?
:

I've tried that blue shield stuff before.. Problem is you have no real way of knowing if it's working or not unless you have another identical exhaust system that you put on afterward to see if they discolor any more than the first one did. I guess one test would be to do one pipe and not the other. But that kind of defeats the point and you'd be stuck with one ugly pipe (if the blue shield stuff worked)

As far as wiping them down before you start the bike the first time (or first couple of times).. If they are chrome, then yes definitely do that or you might end up with permanent marks on your pipes. I cleaned mine and still have a few marks where I missed. :shrug:

^ Agreed, so it's just a question of whether the blue shield type stuff helps them to not discolor as much.

Thanks Travis.

Finally recieved the new exhaust. Ended up purchasing from KK Cycle in Ohio. After waiting two months on MAC, they said they hadn't even started building yet. KK got em' to me in 2-3 days for a fraction of the cost.

Decided to skip the blue shield stuff. Threw on the new pipes, wiped em' down with rubbing alcohol and fired it up. Well... not exactly. Took almost an hour. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Then on a hunch...(noticed it didn't seem sealed) I put a hand over my gas cap, kicked it and it sprang to life!

Must need a new rubber seal? The new MAC's are a lot louder than anticipated but they'll work for now. Better than un-baffled megaphones! Only had a chance to run it for a minute but noticed afterwards that while the left headpipe was steaming hot, the right side was ice cold.??
Is that normal?

Thanks.

Bummer. Is there a quick fix for it?
How about diagnosing for that matter. Can any harm come from running it as is?
-was looking forward to taking it out tomorrow..

Back