Mac Megaphone Exhaust

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all'
I dig the site, keep the dream alive!
Lots of questions for you but i'll start with the pipes...

Was wondering if anyone knows what these m.a.c. megaphones sound like with baffles in place... they're both gone and it's loud!!
I'm planning on replacing them this week but need them to be "neighbor friendly." I live in a condo and work nights.
Are they quiet when new and with baffles inserted? Any idea how long those baffles are supposed to last?
And is a crossover pipe a good idea? It doesn't have one now.

Thanks.
-Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 295
Welcome to the site! Wish I could help on the baffles but don't know anything about them for those mufflers. Also I'm not sure how necessary the cross over is unless you really restrict the mufflers (which the baffles might do). Have any pictures of the baffles that would go in them?

Looks just like the Meg i had on one of my XS650s some years back.
Boy i regretted that move.Looked great but was loud from the getgo.
I tried wrapping the baffles with asbestos wrap etc.
Nothing helped much i still set off car alarms if i got on it a little.
A redesign of the baffle is in order.I've had some good luck with a chambered setup with small built in reversion dams in quieting down Ironhead Harleys so i don't see why it won't help an XS650.

Thanks man,
I might just end up getting a new set entirely, just not sure if I should go with the megaphones this time.

- ive run MACs and found them loud, baffled or not...in the positive side of 50 im almost the youngest in the street and the only motorcycle rider - keeping the peace has proved beneficial:wink2:

- also found them susceptible to rusting

I'm running a MAC that came with one of my box of treasures. I Have never been inside of it so I don't know if it's baffled. It is quiet enough at idle and snarls when you get on it. In city traffic or when 'da man' is around, I short shift. I haven't noticed it rusting yet, but have had a similar pipe on my old Ascot and I would have to repaint it every couple years.

Oh, and, welcome to the board!

Thanks man.
Must be an old link...says $299 on the mac website. I'm hesitant to spend that much when I'm not even sure what they'll sound like.

Back