Machining a Rear Sprocket

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
Guys I’m building an XS650 custom around a ‘70’s chopper frame with Katana 1100 front and rear - and a Honda 4 swing arm. Everything’s lining up pretty good but - the new front sprocket is a 17 tooth XS while the rear is a Katana 42 tooth. I’m looking at bare 34 tooth rears but want to make sure what I get will do the job after matching and drilling. The bare sprocket I’m thinking to buy has the following info: 520. 5/8 X 1/4 34T. CH 1002-34E. I get the 520 and 34 tooth but don’t what the 5/8 and 1/4 mean.
Just need to know it will work with my new XS front sprocket. Any help appreciated!

Never seen one called out that way but chain size is called out in 1/8"s so a 520 is 5/8" by 2/8" or 5/8' by 1/4" .
FWIW I used a GS1000 rear hub on Madness and had a custom aluminum sprocket made. About $70 to my door IIRC. 3000 miles on it so far and it is still looking good.

Thanks for the feedback - I assumed the front sprocket was a 520 but you’re right - it’s a 530. Reckon I’ll just order the 34 tooth blank for a 530 chain and hope everything else works between the sprockets. I’m going to have to run a chain roller somewhere anyway as the smaller rear will put my chain too close to the swing arm pivot. Thanks for your help - I’d actually called the sprocket supplier internationally first but they couldn’t help.

Back