Mags VS Spokes

Wizard of Smiles

Retro Rookie Rider
Reaction score
I have a 83" Debating trading my spoked wheels for mags.

is there a pro / cons on spokes vs mags? I would assume mags are tubless , and don't need to be tuned, but weigh more.

Thoughts?

I want to get mags w a 19" rear w/ drum. I don't think they made that.

Is the rear disk conversion easy?

One pro- for mags is you don't need a clutch tool; just put something across the swing arm to block the wheel.

I don't see a need for a rear disk myself, plus I'm so sloppy with chain oil the disk is going to get oiled.

You can temporarily fix a puncture in a tubeless tire on the road. But there might be something you can squirt in tubed tires to fix them temporarily or make them auto-sealing. Don't know.

Last edited:
I would assume mags are tubless , and don't need to be tuned, but weigh more

They do weigh more, but are very strong, and as xjwmx pointed out, flats are easily fixed with a tubeless tire. Depends on what you want and how you ride. Spoked alloys are light, less unsprung weight, but you have to run tubes. Some people just like the look of spokes. Mags look good on some bikes, if you are not concerned about a slight weight deficit go for it. You only need to swap your drum swingarm for a disc arm to swap. :bike:

My old man always busts my balls about wanting to go from my mags to spokes. Spokes look infinitely better than mags unless you customize the mags. He says he doesn't like having to true the spoke wheels. Whatever floats your boat man.

Back