Well congratulations Bob, but I knew it would start. Sure, it will need some fine tuning now, they all usually do. It will smell really rich if you started it with the choke on, and even after you take the choke off for a while. Your idle issue may be nothing more than not having the idle speed screws turned up enough. Sync being off a bit may account for the popping when the throttle is blipped.

If I remember correctly, that's your first top end job. It's a magic feeling when your first one actually works.
Robin would be proud. :D

It’s funny, he was my first thought. Yeah you could’ve knocked me over with a feather when it lit off first kick.
The next pleasant surprise was that the crazy starter / decompression set up worked ( I didn’t really trust it )

Well congratulations Bob, but I knew it would start. Sure, it will need some fine tuning now, they all usually do. It will smell really rich if you started it with the choke on, and even after you take the choke off for a while. Your idle issue may be nothing more than not having the idle speed screws turned up enough. Sync being off a bit may account for the popping when the throttle is blipped.

Thanks 5T! I’ll keep swinging at it. If I can just get it to stay running , even if it’s ragged, I can start narrowing down the issues.

Just crank up the idle speeds on both carbs. You have to do both equally or you'll throw the cable sync way off. Once you get it idling, possibly a bit high, you can do some mix screw fooling and probably slowly back the idle speed back down as it warms up and you tune it better.

2437120d-3fa2-4360-b9c5-260c4462b823.gif
Fantastic Day Bob ! You deserve it !

Edit: Stupid post made by me , removed for my own good.
Let's see from Friday at 4PM "no more working on bike" post it took (not quite) two days for the "motor started first kick" post :sneaky: :laughing: :thumbsup:
Must have been drugs, then the 76 ride acted as a miraculous cure for "I've had enoughitis".

Thanks guys, I really am so very happy with that start up! I can’t tell you how much all your support means to me!

The weird thing is, it fires right up but almost immediately starts blubbering and missing, I can’t get it to idle to save my life. The left cylinder is running the worst. I’ve tried setting up the idle all the way, but it’s way too rich to run. I’ve leaned the air screws.....richened the air screws....re adjusted the throttle cables.....re checked the timing....checked the timing chain adjustment , it’s still too new and tight to even move. No matter what I do it just blubbers and misses. The spark plugs are black and sooty and partly wet. Im throwing in the towel for today, but I’m unsure where to go from here. About all I can think to do is pull the carbs and go through everything again?

Let's see from Friday at 4PM "no more working on bike" post it took (not quite) two days for the "motor started first kick" post :sneaky: :laughing: :thumbsup:
Must have been drugs, then the 76 ride acted as a miraculous cure for "I've had enoughitis".

Gary you are so right. It’s really not in my nature to mope around. I always feel better if I just go right at problems.
Besides, I couldn’t let GLJ get his bike running before mine! Ha! :laughing:

Very nice. :cheers: Bet you're walking around like you're 10 feet tall and bullet proof.
Bet your idle problem is caused from the incorrect bolts you are using to hold the breather cover on with.:poke:
View attachment 137564

Or the green gaskets sticking out?
58122800-37F0-42B7-8293-2DE788B48AD9.png

Thanks guys, I really am so very happy with that start up! I can’t tell you how much all your support means to me!

The weird thing is, it fires right up but almost immediately starts blubbering and missing, I can’t get it to idle to save my life. it just blubbers and misses. The spark plugs are black and sooty and partly wet.
View attachment 137569
Shut off the petcocks start it and see what happens.

Back