What do you do when you can’t do anything else? POLISH YOUR DIPSTICK!! :D
Interesting both my 72 engines have a painted dipstick. Was yours painted?
upload_2019-4-14_17-49-5.png

By the way that's a fine fine looking dipstick you got there.:lmao:

Interesting both my 72 engines have a painted dipstick. Was yours painted?

Yes it was painted, and I repainted it. I had also painted that cam chain adjuster cover. But both of those items are things that get used a lot and bumped into and the paint was chipping away on the edges, so I decided to just polish them. They’re both aluminum and It didn’t take much time and I don’t even really care if they oxidize naturally. I just wanted that chipped paint off.

Yes it was painted, and I repainted it. I had also painted that cam chain adjuster cover. But both of those items are things that get used a lot and bumped into and the paint was chipping away on the edges, so I decided to just polish them. They’re both aluminum and It didn’t take much time and I don’t even really care if they oxidize naturally. I just wanted that chipped paint off.
Since the weather isn't going to let me go for a ride tomorrow I guess I may spend the day polishing my dip stick.:laugh:

Managed to get a little time in the shop this morning before heading to see my surgeon for a little post op follow up.

I got my Motion Pro clutch cable painted and I think it came out pretty well. Close enough that it won’t jump out at you.

Then I worked on reassembling my carburetors. I cut a fresh gasket for the choke housing and then I wanted to re set / check my float level. I was recalling something I read that 2M posted and I decided to give it a try.

The way the tang that depresses the float needle is at an angle to the needle puts a sideways pressure on the float needle. Seen here at rest and then compressed.
B7B7BE25-CE2B-4AC6-BB36-A4939921C474.jpeg
A0D9F25D-8305-413D-8AAD-2F1E97FC5B01.jpeg

What 2M did, and I tried to emulate was to bend that tang at a slight angle so it would press more or less directly straight down on the float needle. ( Note: this photo has the float upside down to photograph)
97CCC3E0-F0D9-4E05-8EFA-576BC4A4AA00.jpeg

And here is the after photos, at rest and compressed. You can see that now the tang is dead center on the float needle and pushes it straight down.
5412F674-5A77-4CD8-A6D7-71D33FF26C95.jpeg

DA27290B-3F1B-48A8-AFFB-6ACE93582275.jpeg

Now I have a dumb question, I tried looking this up before asking but no luck. This photo of my left carb body, that has the choke mechanism has this brass pickup tube. I believe it’s part of the enricher circuit.
BCF67005-A3CD-4CDE-AFCA-A5504C79EC5D.jpeg

The right side carburetor that does not have its own enrichener, does not have this tube, because ( I believe and this is what I’m not sure about) it’s not needed, since the right carb is enriched by the left carb. Is that correct?
Is that why that pickup tube is missing on my right carb body?
720A4EEA-62F0-4DF9-98D5-30B42571F248.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FA3719A1-A820-428E-A845-49D79A146088.jpeg
    FA3719A1-A820-428E-A845-49D79A146088.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 128
I don't know about the enrichener circuit but I do like that mod to the float actuating tab.

That simply has to work better on those tiny little parts that go up and down thousands of times over many years.

Pete

The right side carburetor that does not have its own enrichener, does not have this tube, because ( I believe and this is what I’m not sure about) it’s not needed, since the right carb is enriched by the left carb. Is that correct?
Is that why that pickup tube is missing on my right carb body?
The tube feeds the enricher. If only one carb has the enricher, only that carb needs a tube to feed it. Of course, I know very little about the 38's.... but that's my logical conclusion.

The tube feeds the enricher. If only one carb has the enricher, only that carb needs a tube to feed it. Of course, I know very little about the 38's.... but that's my logical conclusion.

That’s kinda what I thought too. I don’t know why it just struck me that the two carbs were different regarding that pickup tube.

Yes, you are correct about the choke take-off tube. Your right carb doesn't have one because it doesn't need it. There's no choke on that carb. I don't think the hole for the tube is even drilled through. Instead of a choke assembly, you just have a blanking plate mounted over where it would go. I don't think it has (or needs) a gasket either.

Yes, you are correct about the choke take-off tube. Your right carb doesn't have one because it doesn't need it. There's no choke on that carb. I don't think the hole for the tube is even drilled through. Instead of a choke assembly, you just have a blanking plate mounted over where it would go. I don't think it has (or needs) a gasket either.

Thanks for the confirmation 5T, I appreciate it.

Where on the float did you bend to make up for the change in float height from bending the tang.

I bent only the tang. First I bent the whole tang down more, then moved a little further out on the tang and bent the lip up to a straighter angle.

Back