You guys are bad!
Im telling you, it ain’t easy being me. I get no respect!
A7B714EF-2AF6-4E56-B062-9F6F53F48C83.jpeg

OK. Let’s get serious for a minute. A duck walks in a bar... Oh wait. My bad. Bobs got a leak at the countershaft. It appears to be riding down the splines..To me...It’s gotta be that seal. Let’s not put a Band-Aid on it. Let’s fix it. I say new seal. VEWY VEWY carefully finessed in. Any takers?

Alright. The shaft comes through the seal at the cases. A spacer goes on. The sprocket goes on. Am I right so far? Seems like there outta be a washer at the seal. Unless that spacer nests right on the edge of the seal.But that doesn’t make sense either. The sprockets spinning, the spacers spinning, unless ...maybe that spacer isn’t supposed to spin. I can’t believe Yamaha designed these bikes to leak. In the words of Roland Stuart.. “ Somethings wrong! “

Alright. The shaft comes through the seal at the cases. A spacer goes on. The sprocket goes on. Am I right so far? Seems like there outta be a washer at the seal. Unless that spacer nests right on the edge of the seal.But that doesn’t make sense either. The sprockets spinning, the spacers spinning, unless ...maybe that spacer isn’t supposed to spin. I can’t believe Yamaha designed these bikes to leak. In the words of Roland Stuart.. “ Somethings wrong! “
All this has already been discussed. It starts at comment #2865

Stick at it Bob - you’ll get there. Oddly, this is one problem that my dear old Lucille has never thrown at me.

:popcorn:

Could be the spacer, #25.
SprocketSpacer.jpg

I'd be wanting to chuck it up in the lathe, check the faces and OD for trueness and runout, look for tiny nicks. Polish the OD and do a couple of light facing skims anyways.

I don't have a spare, otherwise I'd clean one up and send it to you.
And, do a post-mortem on yours...

Could be the spacer, #25.
View attachment 144031

I'd be wanting to chuck it up in the lathe, check the faces and OD for trueness and runout, look for tiny nicks. Polish the OD and do a couple of light facing skims anyways.

I don't have a spare, otherwise I'd clean one up and send it to you.
And, do a post-mortem on yours...

I did break out my heavy glass plate and wet sand paper today to dress the ends of the spacer. But I’ll tell you, I don’t know what it’s made of, but that spacer is HARD! Sandpaper didn’t have much effect on it.

You might try some emory cloth or crocus cloth on it Bob.

The problem is that "smooth" is not good enough - the end faces also have to be flat AND they must be at right angles to the axis AND they need to be parallel to each other. A whole lotta geometry going on there.

Okey dokey......I’ve been thinking about that spacer. When I had it out and I said I was trying to resurface the ends on my plate of glass and wet sand paper. The reason I was trying that is because I could see and feel sharp edges, it felt like it had some wear on it. It also had some very small pitting on the edges, not much but enough that I was scrutinizing them.
Well after 2M’s comments about skimming the ends to square it up and checking for run out etc. and Pete’s comments about the necessity of everything being absolutely square edged and geometrically correct etc.
I decided to look around to see if there were any new ones out there. And actually I found several.
I bought this, how could I not at that price. I won’t get it for about 10 days?! But then I can definitely rule that out as a suspect. Or maybe even fix my leak. Hmmm that would be nice. :)

31ACC3A6-0AC9-4A20-85F2-5C404B8BF5A1.jpeg

I also ordered a sack full of lock washers and a spare nut for the front sprocket, because if history is any indication,
I’ll have this thing together and apart a few more times still.

So, current status: On hiatus pending new parts arrival. Be back soon!
04471672-1B49-45A9-9103-519549233AB8.png
Bob :bike:

Back