Note: I was just ruminating some more on that spacer. What could cause that to have developed sharp edges? Then it hit me, if the sprocket nut were loose, it would allow parts to spin against each other instead of all being locked together as a single unit. Correct? Hmmm maybe?

What could cause that to have developed sharp edges? Then it hit me, if the sprocket nut were loose, it would allow parts to spin against each other instead of all being locked together as a single unit. Correct?
It’s been puzzling . Reflecting on the XS’s I’ve had, they all had loose sprocket nuts. Yet I’ve not experienced leaks there or even on the clutch rod seal yet.
I can’t help but to suspect the “new” seal and or your collar sleeve. Wish I could see that “parallelism” of your sleeve faces..
-RT

Attachments

• 7A0A2ACE-9CA2-4ECD-AAD9-8FC020207725.jpeg
    7A0A2ACE-9CA2-4ECD-AAD9-8FC020207725.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
It’s been puzzling . Reflecting on the XS’s I’ve had, they all had loose sprocket nuts. Yet I’ve not experienced leaks there or even on the clutch rod seal yet.
I can’t help but to suspect the “new” seal and or your collar sleeve. Wish I could see that “parallelism” of your sleeve faces..
-RT

Ha! You machinists are so precise!

Note: I was just ruminating some more on that spacer. What could cause that to have developed sharp edges? Then it hit me, if the sprocket nut were loose, it would allow parts to spin against each other instead of all being locked together as a single unit. Correct? Hmmm maybe?

B-O-B

Ruminating????

I'd rather see Bob fix the leak using the old parts, that's just how I am. If the center hole and outer surface are still round and smooth, gobs of RTV in the right places, after degreasing, should fix it.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, Scott

gobs of RTV in the right places, after degreasing, should fix it.

My thoughts on the RTV: I DO believe it could effectively seal a leak. What gives me pause is the thought of it coming loose and floating around in oil galleys until it plugs something vital.

My thoughts on the RTV: I DO believe it could effectively seal a leak. What gives me pause is the thought of it coming loose and floating around in oil galleys until it plugs something vital.

In your case the RTV would be outside of the case with no way to booger in the oil unless the seal was removed and the RTV intentionally pushed in there.

I'd rather see Bob fix the leak using the old parts, that's just how I am. If the center hole and outer surface are still round and smooth, gobs of RTV in the right places, after degreasing, should fix it.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, Scott
I'm not familiar with RTV is it tough to get off later ? I would guess you don't use this everywhere you need a gasket to save money from not buying a gasket ?

While I agree with Scott that the chances of RTV getting inside the cases is slim to none, using it was always a 'bandaid' fix for something that should seal without needing it. In this case, Bob thinks the spacer is too rough/worn to give an effective seal. In which case the 'correct' course of action is to replace the rough/worn part.... the spacer.

This was the proposed fix, this would take place inside the case, right at the junction of the drive shaft and the inner race.

Clean the inner race and shaft with q-tips and your solvent of choice. apply a "small" bead of oil resistant RTV at the base/intersection of the inner race and shaft, reinstall spacer, sprocket and tighten. Let it cure for a day and it should be oil tight.

I guess I am just having memories of taking my top end apart and there was loose red RTV just hanging from seams.

The RTV repair could still be an effective and safe way to go, but I’d like to exhaust alternatives first.
Besides, I’ve got time to screw around with this stuff. It’s my idea of fun.

Just for thought...….....Honda recommends using RTV in the corners of their rubber valve cover gaskets. Sure, a big gob of cured RTV can clog an oil passage. But, if applied with finesse this won't happen and small RTV worms are flexible and not a problem either, eventually reaching a filter.

Scott

Back