1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Any sign of any burrs or scratches on the inner race sealing surface?

Mailman likes this.
  2. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    A 1 1/2" dia. pvc piece from a sink drain repair kit is good for tapping the new seal in. Note -- it will go in way too far if you keep tapping until it feels seated. There should be a ridge on the seal and a trough in the case you can use to estimate depth. You can also flip the spacer around to let the seal ride in a new place.

MaxPete and Mailman like this.
  3. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

As always, Bob, I am impressed with your determination, your tenacity on this persistent, frustrating leak.

Like the USA Women's Soccer Team, you will prevail.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    geedubya, peanut, MaxPete and 4 others like this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

No, here’s a better photo with nothing in the way. It’s pretty representative of what it looks like all the way around.
    BA12CF89-6A65-485D-923C-37E017FC0F4F.jpeg

Wulfbyte, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  5. Mailman

Thanks Ken, that’s worth considering, I had never heard of that product.

I have considered this, and I haven’t ruled it out. I might polish it up and see what it looks like.

Thanks! That’s a good tip!

Thanks Jeff, I’m feeling lucky!
    F2A82587-6548-4CC7-875E-659D0653381B.jpeg

6. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Waiting to see the final solution to this leak. Not sure but my 1982 has a leak under that cover too and so far the couple times I looked at it I've not been sure where the oil was coming from.

Also need to give another try on the horseshoe spring for the starter. Installed a new one when I assembled engine but never knew about the fish scale test so might just need a slight adjustment.

7. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I see you added a linked index to the first page.

254___thumbs-up-emoji.png

8. Mailman

It’s a work in progress, it’s unbelievably tedious to set up, as you are aware.

9. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before parked Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Colorado
    Bob, you continue to amaze me with all your threads, how to's, and fantastic pics. Now an index for us that can't find info we want.:)
    :bow: Thank you for your attention to detail and your sharing info for the last, oh it seems like 100 years. I'm glad you have found the time
    for us.:bow2:
    Tom (MrBultaco)

10. Mailman

Haha! Thanks Tom! This place is a lot of fun and I’m happy to contribute, if nothing else , it gets the guys who really know something to chime in!

I’m just a wanna be, If you want to see the way a reference page should be done, look Here

11. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

But Jim didn't label his as BEING an index...
    Bob for the score!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. Mailman

Haha! Well of course Captain Obvious here, had to tell you you’re looking at a reference page! :laugh2:
    It may get cut short though, I’m afraid I’m gonna bump up against the character limit soon.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  13. Jim

giphy.gif

14. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

had these bookmarked............No........ i'm not going through your thread and helping.......to much for me:whistle:

geedubya, MaxPete, Jim and 2 others like this.
  15. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I landed at DTW @ 3:00 pm and did some chores at home and just drove up to TO for mtgs tomorrow & Tuesday so I’m just catching up. This leak is both interesting and, obviously bloody annoying. Your crack about a “fresh hell” really made me laugh though Bob.

You’ll get it.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    geedubya, peanut, Jim and 2 others like this.
  16. Mailman

Welcome home Ranger! Hope your trip went well. :)

MaxPete, peanut and Jim like this.
  17. peanut

peanut XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

handy index Bob well done thats a lot of tedious work to do ........but then we are both a little OCD I guess ........or is it highly organized ? I can't remember ......what was I saying ?........;):laugh2:

geedubya, Jim and Mailman like this.
  18. Moabite

Moabite XS650 Enthusiast Top Contributor

Moab, utah
    ...maybe start bike without sprocket on and watch for no leak...