1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. kettle738

kettle738 XS650 Member

I would guess someone with a lathe could take the standard collar and turn it down to copy that, it shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable O ring.

Jim and Mailman like this.
  2. kettle738

kettle738 XS650 Member

The Heiden part is identical to the idea that Jim had in post 2888 where he suggested a bevel to the collar which would allow an O ring to be compressed. I have a lathe, but there was mention of this collar being made of particularly hard material, so I think I will just include one in my next order of parts from Heiden as they will doubtless make a better job of it than I would anyway...... but it does confirm that Jim's idea was a good one.

jetmechmarty, Jim, mrtwowheel and 6 others like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Ha! I’d forgotten all about that! Heiden stole Jim’s idea! :laugh2: Now Jim’s sayin “ I tried to tell you mooks! “

Yes it was really hard, I tried to file off a rough edge and the file wouldn’t touch it. It just skated right off.

4. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Great minds think alike? It seems to me it might be better to buy a finished part, than try to modify an existing one. With my luck, I'd screw it up, and have to buy a new one anyways... :doh: Now, how to get that old sucker outa there?... maybe with the seal out, I can wiggle the "distance collar" out with a hooked pick....

gggGary, Jim and Team Junk like this.
  5. Mailman

It comes out easy with the seal removed. If you’re gonna pop for a spacer, you might as well get the seal too, they’re relatively cheap.

gggGary, 59Tebo, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It ain't the first time... :rolleyes:

thuban, gggGary, TwoManyXS1Bs and 4 others like this.
  7. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

OK. I get it. Spacer with packing rather than plain spacer. Nice!

gggGary, Jim and Mailman like this.
  8. 59Tebo

Yes, Bob. All the seals, all the gaskets. I was thinking of replacing all those JIS screws with Allens, and I might do Jim's cam chain guide mod. I only want to have to do this once...

9. 59Tebo

Oh, yeah, and a VAPE ignition/generator, elephant-foot valve adjusters.... if it has to do with an upgrade (performance, reliability, longevity, simplicity, etc.), I'm in. These beloved Xs's of ours don't have a whole lot of shortcomings, but we can address them anyways. It's only money! :doh:

gggGary, GLJ, TwoManyXS1Bs and 4 others like this.
  10. Mailman

11. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Damn that’s a good looking bike Bob.

12. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Is that Randy Marbles paint job?

Wulfbyte, Jim, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mailman

Looks like yours, twins! :laugh2:

Yup. :cool:

14. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Randy does great work. We’ve talked many times about painting my stuff. But I continue to use Skip Walker. It would kill him if I went somewhere else.

Paul Sutton, Mailman and Jim like this.
  15. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    The only problem I have with Skip is it takes 6 months to get my stuff.

Jim and Mailman like this.
  16. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

6 months is ridiculous. Maybe you should kill him. ;)

17. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wow, you have a painter with ONLY a 6 month turnaround? I don't even start the reminders and begging til after a year has passed!

18. Hightower-Ash98

Hightower-Ash98 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Maaaaan I wish! Had I stocked up on engine parts I'd be all over doing a rebuild right now, I've got plenty of time. Thanks for the link, everything looks amazing, and now I've got a recommendation for painting my tank as well, if my jeep was anything but black, I'd color match it!

19. Hightower-Ash98

Hightower-Ash98 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Your levels of organization and planning astound me