Well it’s just a few days short of a year since I got this old girl on the road, since then I’ve put a little over 2,000 miles on it and I’m very happy to say, it’s running like a top! Yesterday I had it out for a little highway action and when I got home I was looking it over and I noticed this.
CF3D69B0-AF7A-4ADD-A511-CDA9C9C75B36.jpeg

Thin little streaks of oil had blown back on my left side cover. I looked and couldn’t determine the source of it. There were no signs of an oil leak anywhere on the head or valve covers. I decided I would take a closer look today after the bike had cooled down over night. I finally found the source, coming from under the points cover.
E68929C3-BBD8-4625-9BE0-95895A6D7FB6.jpeg

I’ve got a cam seal weeping a little, it has from the very beginning. Usually I pop the cover off after every few rides and simply wipe up what has collected in the bottom, but I have forgotten about for a while and allowed it to pool up a little, then it seeps out from under the points cover and the wind was blowing it right back onto my side cover without ever dripping on the motor. The Pamco board is not oily, it dfrips down from the seal behind the plate and collects at the bottom.
0D4C2AED-DD57-4E68-8352-731AF3FC5B64.jpeg

The right side cam seal is dry as a bone. Someday I’m going to have to replace that seal, but for now it’s not really hard to keep up with. I just have to remember to clean in there. All buttoned up and ready to go.
9FC8A9AD-BC0C-456B-859A-A83297B6B92B.jpeg

Now a little update on my valve covers. The original XS2 valve covers used gaskets and were not machined for
o-rings. A few months ago Gary very kindly took a set of old valve covers and machined some o-ring grooves in them and also sent me a set of his super duper red o-rings. I used to get a lot of seeping around the gaskets before, but now.....spotless. Thank you Gary!
4D141A2C-ACFB-49B6-A0E1-5B6F5E44AE17.jpeg
1E06DA57-C9A8-460E-894B-827B714AB6A5.jpeg

And lastly, yesterday when I gassed up my bike, I went to reset the odometer and the knob just spun in my fingers.
The inside is stripped and will no longer turn the reset.
56BBF1E2-555A-466B-A88D-AAADAAE3CE5B.jpeg
0D72DC08-25AE-43D8-87A6-3C98CA7CBCBB.jpeg

Those knobs are impossible to find, they were never sold individually, they just came with the speedometer.
I came across this on the HVCycle website. It’s billet aluminum and even though it’s marketed for RD350’s they say it may fit other models. I’m wandering if it’s worth taking the risk? It’s not cheap, it’s billet aluminum. It looks a little longer, but very similar.

554A9E02-C466-4A76-AF11-C5386EEBAEDF.png

Anyways thats all for now,
Happy motoring- Bob :bike:

Well it’s just a few days short of a year since I got this old girl on the road, since then I’ve put a little over 2,000 miles on it and I’m very happy to say, it’s running like a top! Yesterday I had it out for a little highway action and when I got home I was looking it over and I noticed this.
View attachment 164227

Thin little streaks of oil had blown back on my left side cover. I looked and couldn’t determine the source of it. There were no signs of an oil leak anywhere on the head or valve covers. I decided I would take a closer look today after the bike had cooled down over night. I finally found the source, coming from under the points cover.
View attachment 164228

I’ve got a cam seal weeping a little, it has from the very beginning. Usually I pop the cover off after every few rides and simply wipe up what has collected in the bottom, but I have forgotten about for a while and allowed it to pool up a little, then it seeps out from under the points cover and the wind was blowing it right back onto my side cover without ever dripping on the motor. The Pamco board is not oily, it dfrips down from the seal behind the plate and collects at the bottom.
View attachment 164230

The right side cam seal is dry as a bone. Someday I’m going to have to replace that seal, but for now it’s not really hard to keep up with. I just have to remember to clean in there. All buttoned up and ready to go.
View attachment 164231

Now a little update on my valve covers. The original XS2 valve covers used gaskets and were not machined for
o-rings. A few months ago Gary very kindly took a set of old valve covers and machined some o-ring grooves in them and also sent me a set of his super duper red o-rings. I used to get a lot of seeping around the gaskets before, but now.....spotless. Thank you Gary!
View attachment 164232 View attachment 164233

And lastly, yesterday when I gassed up my bike, I went to reset the odometer and the knob just spun in my fingers.
The inside is stripped and will no longer turn the reset.
View attachment 164234 View attachment 164235

Those knobs are impossible to find, they were never sold individually, they just came with the speedometer.
I came across this on the HVCycle website. It’s billet aluminum and even though it’s marketed for RD350’s they say it may fit other models. I’m wandering if it’s worth taking the risk? It’s not cheap, it’s billet aluminum. It looks a little longer, but very similar.

View attachment 164236

Anyways thats all for now,
Happy motoring- Bob :bike:

I just do not understand why these camshaft end seals are such a PITA. There isn’t much oil in there and there is no pressure at all - just a bit of splash.
Hmmm.....the next time I am inside one of these things I’m going to have to take a closer look.

Someday I’m going to have to replace that seal....

I just do not understand why these camshaft end seals are such a PITA. There isn’t much oil in there and there is no pressure at all - just a bit of splash.
Hmmm.....the next time I am inside one of these things I’m going to have to take a closer look.
You guys up for a little testing....
whistling_smiley small.jpg

24x40x7mm seals.jpg

I rebuilt my 81 and was careful to center the camshaft knowing these seals are so sensitive. I have the same problem Mailman. I too have to clean the inside of the covers every couple hundred miles or else it weeps oil enough to blow all over my side covers just like on yours. Thinking the seals from Mikes just aren't up for the proper task. What's the "experiment" Jim? Are those seals something you sourced that are different than the ones from Mikes? I see they state "double lip". I'd be glad to order a set and give it a go....

I even tried removing the gasket between the inner cover and head and just used a little permatex gasket sealer, thinking it would give me a little more real estate on the shaft for the seal lip to work better. Didn't work for me.

We
Well, with TCI, Vape/Powerdynamo, or any other crank triggered ignition, the seals can be omitted altogether, and smaller "Shell" style cam end caps can be used. I got a pair from "Mule" myself, but Gary Hoos have them, and also Heiden Tuning: https://www.heidentuning.com/xs650-...-side-covers-aluminium-new-design-detail.html

I wonder if a bearing with seals is available in that size. In the past I have used bearings with seals in similar situations. If so the bearing on the outside could be fitted with the outside seal left in and the inner seal removed, therefore adding an extra seal.

These seals need to be very thin because there's not much cam sticking out. The originals are only 5mm thick so a 7mm one might be too thick. I think that's what the troublesome MikesXS seals are. They also market them as an improved version with a triple lip. But all the extra lips in the world will do no good if the seal's too thick and they don't make it onto the end of the camshaft.

Yeah 2000 miles is not alot so that was why i suggested it. You may be lucky the seal is damaged but the shaft maybe causing it. With mine no amount of scotch bright on the shaft and new seals could stop that damed thing leaking. A nice new interference fit stainless steel sealing surface is the go!
Easy install for you and most local bearing places should have them or get them in for you....But it is metric tho:D:D..

Back