1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The early clutch on WJR is acting a bit sticky I think it may get an alto 8 plate conversion. Seems to work well for GLJ on his 72. :cool:

2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Didn’t Greg swap out his early clutch assembly for a newer model, as I did on my XS2? Mine came out of a ‘75.

thuban, Paul Sutton and Jim like this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Mebby he did??
    I'll have to go look.

Jim likes this.
  4. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

who is the new vendor and where did you get those filters

Jim likes this.
  5. Mailman

Haha! :laugh2: I’m afraid you’re going to have to be more specific as to what I was talking about. I’m not sure what the quote is referencing. This thread is Long!

gggGary, thuban, Greyandridin and 2 others like this.
  6. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Only 3000 posts! Memory must be going Bob. Five years ago you would have picked the reference in a flash. Age? Booze? Illegal substances? Alzheimers? All of the above??

7. Mailman

All the above, definitely. o_O How are you doing , you old trouble maker?

8. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Wrestling with my starter motor. Thought I had the old girl together and could look forward to riding into the sunset. Not so fast apparently, still, what would I do with my time if the XS was finished - make trouble?? I prefer to think of myself as a "trouble locator". Always good to hear from you Bob. Look forward to your next bike-borne travelogue.
    Kind regards

9. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The tygon fuel line and the cone shaped filters you used with it

gggGary, Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  10. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    That little arrow where he's quoted you takes you to the original post you made about ... something.

11. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Yes I put in a newer clutch. I think the Alto would work fine in a old clutch. I didn't use my original clutch basket because it had a broken spring.

12. Mailman

Well, I just learned something new! Thanks!

Greyandridin, Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  13. Mailman

Sorry, I’m a little slow! :confused:

I bought both of them from different vendors on EBay. The filters are Chinese made, nothing special. If you’re willing to wait for a slow boat to get them , they can be had for about $5.00 for a bag full of them.

The Tygon fuel line is a little smaller ID than I would’ve thought to purchase, I got this on 2M’s recommendation. It’s stretchy and makes a nice tight fit that doesn’t require a clamp to hold it. And it stays stretchy, it doesn’t harden up like some fuel line I have used in the past.
    765FE6F2-756F-4305-92F3-407D658A386C.jpeg 8FC97E9F-3A78-43E0-831E-F6285CF59453.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    gGary....I put a drop of Deoxit on top my 38 stuck in there 42.5 idle jets. Wiped down the rubber carb diaphragms with it too. may have brushed my teeth with it. :)

Wulfbyte likes this.
  15. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Now I'm just saying, Comet Bathroom cleaner will make brass and copper look brand new with just a spray. Needs a good rinse and then your favorite Oxidation inhibitor. Deoxit is good stuff, for sure...but he didn't really brush his teeth with it. ( It will give you the squirts for three days!)

16. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

That last part sounds like voice of experience talking!

Mailman and thuban like this.
  17. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    Actually, I have grown fond of this blue magic polish with the silicone. But for what yo described I would your my acrylic auto paint sealant on chrome steel, anything that will oxidize again. Did it on all my chrome I pulled off after cleaning in may just to get through the summer sitting.

thuban likes this.
  18. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

"acrylic auto paint sealant on chrome steel, anything that will oxidize again." You mean painting over your chrome with clear automotive sealant?
    I mean , like silicone on your terminal ends.
    ( Never tried blue magic with silicone) I use Car Guys Detailing Hybrid wax and Mothers.

19. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    Being absolutely scunnered by the price of De-oxit this side of the pond I did some digging and found references to the origins of it.
    Turns out the original was oleic acid in a solvent and it worked well for decades. I've no doubt the modern formulation is better, but for a fraction of the price I made my own version of the original.
    I bought a 200 ml bottle of oleic acid, dissolved 5% in naptha-based charcoal lighter fluid and gave it a go.
    It works quite well, but has to be rinsed out after it's done its magic, just like the original. I flush it out with meths or similar.
    I've barely made a hole in that 200ml bottle and the first batch I made in a squirty bottle is still going strong.

geedubya and thuban like this.
  20. Greyandridin

Thanks !

Mailman likes this.