I had a recent "experience" with seat cover attachment hardware just like yours.
The original-type seat on my '75 RD is actually a '73, and it has just this sort of fasteners, with the bent-over bolts..:eek:
I found a wrench (7/32) in my collection of ignition wrenches that fit the little nut.

Thanks Jeff, it's looking like it won't be an insurmountable problem.

Mailman, that's a friggin time capsule...........I'm glad you were lucky enough to get it. I am following your build
thread and with you rep., it'll be great, ie: lots of pics and a words that even I can understand. lol
I do hope that you don't get so wrapped up in this project that you will ignore your short trips on your '76 with
great pictures and narration. Also, we're you inspired by the Feb. calendar bike of member Zaro Moore?

Thank you sir!
You're right, I must remember to retain balance in my life and not just throw myself into my most recent project
(Even though I get really obsessive about these things! ) And that's too funny, I have the calendar hanging in my garage and right after I got the bike home I looked up and saw the calendar and said to my wife, "Hey Look!" What a coincidence!

Some of the hard to find pieces you should be able to find here.
http://speedandsportinc.com
These guys may have the foam
https://hvccycle.net
Marks Xs650 has the foam
http://www.marks650yamahas.com/images/early_xs_650_seats.pdf

Cra-Z1, Thanks for the pointers! I really appreciate the direction. A lot of the sources I'm familiar with just don't apply to the earlier bikes. I shall bookmark them immediately! You don't happen to have a left handlebar switchgear lying around do you? :)

You can replace just that broken sliding part in your switch assembly - if you can find one, lol. But I'm sure it was used in many of the switches back then, from many different models, maybe even different brands.

Thanks Jeff, it's looking like it won't be an insurmountable problem.

Thank you sir!
You're right, I must remember to retain balance in my life and not just throw myself into my most recent project
(Even though I get really obsessive about these things! ) And that's too funny, I have the calendar hanging in my garage and right after I got the bike home I looked up and saw the calendar and said to my wife, "Hey Look!" What a coincidence!

Cra-Z1, Thanks for the pointers! I really appreciate the direction. A lot of the sources I'm familiar with just don't apply to the earlier bikes. I shall bookmark them immediately! You don't happen to have a left handlebar switchgear lying around do you? :)

I will check. I think I have sold everything but I dont recall the switch gear

Good piccys Mailman - and I totallly agree that your new bike has great bones.

Mailman shoot - he scores!!!

QUESTION: does anyone know if those are the stock bars on Bob’s new bike?

Also - I arrived home after a particularly sh!tty day at work and found that the latest issue of one of my favourite magazines arrived today: Classic Motorcycle Mechanics - and guess what is on the cover and the subject of a major article? How timely!

View attachment 114418

(NOTE: the TV image in the background is simply random and has nothing to do with politics (which is not permitted on the Forum).

Mailman shoots...'he scores'...Threeeeeeeeee points!!!

These DT switches show up on eBay.
Yamaha-DT-Switch.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282805306681

That's a great bike Mailman. It sounds nice already but it was very wise to shut it down after that long period of not running (dried out seals and stuff) Congratulations on the bike! Wishing you lot's of fun restoring it and safe miles ahead! We'll be following you :)

Great score. Really is about where it's desirable for an original rider without looking like a restore. Worth more to if that's a consideration;

Quick look on fleaflay now https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Yam...454957?hash=item282495482d:g:yQgAAOSwcLxYLi31 and also check out the other models the bar-switches and such interchange with in 72/73/71

This will be a breeeeeeze now the fist one is dune and dusted :smoke:

Thanks Skull! And thanks for the tip!

Hey that’s awsome! That looks like my switch exactly, I would just have to figure out the wiring! Thanks 2M!

Wow! I’ve been slaving away on the gas tank all day, I’m far from done with that yet. That’ll be the subject for another post.
However I have some more first impression photos.
The tool kit looks pretty complete
View attachment 114395
A look under the seat
View attachment 114397
Seat is off, the seat pan looks amazing, almost new.
View attachment 114398
The seat, not so much. And check out the funky trim fasteners, they are all like that and I think they’re going to be challenging to work with.
View attachment 114399 View attachment 114400
A look under the side covers. They look like an archeological dig. The whole bike is filled with cobwebs and petrified spiders, at least I hope they’re petrified! :yikes:
View attachment 114401 View attachment 114402 View attachment 114403 View attachment 114404 View attachment 114405

The instrument cluster is in rough shape, haven’t quite figured out how I’m going to handle that yet.
View attachment 114406 View attachment 114407
The switchgear is pretty rough also. My left side switch has a broken headlight on/off button. Can that be repaired? Or am I going to have to source a replacement?
View attachment 114408

All wiring and sheaths looks brittle. All cables need to be replaced.
View attachment 114409 View attachment 114410 View attachment 114411
Lots more first impression photos to come, but gotta stop for now. Mama wants to go out for pizza and I have been lost in the garage for a couple days now! Haha!
Stay tuned,
Bob
View attachment 114413
I love all that aged look. Virgin Bike. Covered in Patina. If it was sold in cans it would be expensive.

That's a great bike Mailman. It sounds nice already but it was very wise to shut it down after that long period of not running (dried out seals and stuff) Congratulations on the bike! Wishing you lot's of fun restoring it and safe miles ahead! We'll be following you :)

Thanks Yamageddon! I appreciate it!

I love all that aged look. Virgin Bike. Covered in Patina. If it was sold in cans it would be expensive.

Thanks Rasputin! Bringing up the original finish will be challenging, and it will be far from perfect, but I think it will have an authentic, nearly 50 year old look.

Wax everything. Waxed frame rails will really make it "pop". And I can see by the pics that the frame will clean and wax up nicely. It's amazingly well preserved. No rust, I can't get over that, lol.

Wax everything. Waxed frame rails will really make it "pop". And I can see by the pics that the frame will clean and wax up nicely. It's amazingly well preserved. No rust, I can't get over that, lol.

Yes it really was in “ dry storage”. The only damage to the paint, which I will show you later, is the center stand is all rusted and some rusty spots on the lower left frame, it all looks like battery acid damage. It came with a new battery that I have taken out and will dispose of. I only run sealed batteries because acid leaks ruin everything! Thankfully it somehow missed the left side muffler.

Back