In the 1800s, the (nearby) city of Syracuse was a major hub on the Erie Canal. Her biggest product was salt, from nearby brine deposits. Syracuse is known even today as "The Salt City". But now, the salt is used on the roads and highways to clear them of snow and ice, which is why cars (or anything else) don't last very long here. Even during the summer months, polishing the aluminum, to the luster you've achieved, wouldn't last very long. And the awful roads here are testament to a corrosive environment...

That musta been quite a Tupperware party you went to, Bob ! ;)
So, how does a guy like me get invited to one ?

24686614341_8e707e51c6_b.jpg

Haha! I think I bought out the dollar store!
Well, heck, Bob ! You're missing out on a fun thing. I've actually been to three of them in the 80's, through ex-girlfriend invites.
Men are very welcome, and you always leave with some sort of party favor, like a spatula.:)
Good for spreading Bondo.

upload_2018-8-15_16-20-52.jpeg

A LITTLE UPDATE..........

Didn’t spend much time outside today, however, I reinstalled my rotor which has been cleaned and checked with a multimeter. I also reinstalled my stator, this has also been cleaned and checked with a multi meter , all wires are in good shape and have continuity, and the multi plug was taken apart and all the terminal connections cleaned. The brushes still have lots of life in them.

E5B5F113-BC53-47ED-B527-46B45816E1C9.jpeg

I also re installed the shift shaft guard. This originally had a rubber pad adhered to the top of it, but it was missing and the drive chain had carved two grooves in the top of it. I cleaned that up and built the top side up with JB Weld.
I had to clean a bunch of dried out grease and grit from inside of it. Then I put new grease on the shift shaft and bolted it up.
B76D98F5-D905-4453-A469-D305A5F2536F.jpeg

B26174DF-1838-4856-BBAA-A1DB20E0FCBA.jpeg

View attachment 124314

Last edited:
Hey Bob, I like your JB-WELD idea. IIRC 2M said a properly adjusted chain won't rub on there and we know YOUR chain will always be properly adjusted. Probly part of your pre flight checklist.....lol.

But that JB-WELD can't hurt and I think I'll do the same some year on my TX.

......you always leave with some sort of party favor, like a spatula.:)

Good for spreading Bondo.

View attachment 124309

OK - now YOU made me snort Dude!

.....spreading bondo.....:laugh2:

I'll bet the girlfriend was pleased :yikes: when she learned that is what you were doing with that party favour!

Yeah, MM, I was thinking, about that shift shaft guard. I was wondering if a thin layer of the kind of plastic, like that used for cutting boards (it's tough and slippery, kinda like Teflon) could be J.B. welded to the guard to replace the missing piece? Hmmmm.... :umm:

I agree that Teflon(tm) would be the ideal material Tebo - except that it is virtually impossible to glue - to anything with any sort of adhesive as far as I am aware.

An alternative would be to rivet a slab of Teflon(tm) to the metal piece. Rivets or screws are the usual method of fastening Teflon(tm) to anything else....

Last edited:
Hey Bob, I like your JB-WELD idea. IIRC 2M said a properly adjusted chain won't rub on there and we know YOUR chain will always be properly adjusted. Probly part of your pre flight checklist.....lol.

But that JB-WELD can't hurt and I think I'll do the same some year on my TX.

Yeah, I was looking for a replacement for a while on eBay , every single used one was missing that pad and I found a couple NOS also, but then as you said, I read that comment by 2M and thought what the heck. It’s easy to repair with JB Weld and easy to remove. I think it’ll be just fine.

I agree that Teflon(tm) would be the ideal material Tebo - except that it is virtually impossible to glue - to anything with any sort of adhesive as far as I am aware. An alternative would be to rivet a slab of Teflon(tm) to the metal piece.
Just need to keep the rivets outside of the path of the chain.

LIke Tebo, I was thinking a piece of plastic. Kydex, in particular. Recommended to me by an industrial plastics distributor back when I was racing karts, for use as a lightweight but very durable floor pan.

"Grades of KYDEX® sheet are available that have outstanding flammability properties including UL 94 V-0 rating and Class 1/A rating (ASTM E84). Benefits of KYDEX® Thermoplastic sheet for retail fixtures like buses, kiosks, and transaction surfaces: Durable, tough, and resistant to chipping - perfect for high traffic areas."
Used extensively by the New York City transit system.

kydex-sheet-multi-715x540.jpg.aspx
I still have lots of the stuff. I'd be glad to send you a sample in an envelop to examine, Bob. It does accept adhesives.

Back