Bob, I imagine that the next few days will be frustrating...:(

You’re right. I couldn’t stay away. I snuck out to the garage today and got a little more done. That steering lock has been mocking me , so I went after it today with steely determination. Short story is I WON!!
283079A2-39BA-42E4-B7DD-EBFA263A18F0.png

First I had to cut the paint on edges of the lock cover and then tap the cover open with a small block of wood and a hammer. My lock had melted into a solid plug.
52B65B57-0D9D-4DE2-8CC2-22E9ED7A8444.jpeg

So I drilled and drilled and drilled and broke bits and pulled the melted lock out in pieces.
E0322B8E-4E0A-4376-8FCC-15BC127754FD.jpeg
F01D4D41-15C3-4D35-B8C7-7C903A816B5E.jpeg

I got all of the tumbler section of the lock out and all that was left was the pin that slides into the hole in the neck surrounded by melted lock. I couldn’t drill through that pin, it was too hard.
At this point I had to make a decision. It wouldn’t budge, I could try to drive the pin into the steering neck and risk getting it stuck, or just stop right there and call it a day.

So naturally I grabbed a BFH and a long punch and proceeded to beat on it like I was pissed at it. And it popped right out.
5DA3E88B-5F22-4E59-97D2-3E2F878CDED7.jpeg
B59C38F8-4702-4978-A197-0285663F6ACC.jpeg
03315A2C-9645-4E38-AD02-4F90AD80A435.jpeg
08A80437-1914-4375-8C09-BD479B1A2D49.jpeg

Remember kids, winning isn’t everything it’s THE ONLY THING! :cool:
03DCC6C8-B93B-435A-A5D2-6250BEB3E0DE.jpeg

I have a little box full of old cut up inner tubes, rubber strips of various lengths and widths, some notched out to fit around engine mounts. I wrap them around the frame tubes and secure them with twist ties or cable ties. I use them again and again.

urN4sFu.jpg

You’re right. I couldn’t stay away. I snuck out to the garage today and got a little more done. That steering lock has been mocking me , so I went after it today with steely determination. Short story is I WON!!
View attachment 132115

First I had to cut the paint on edges of the lock cover and then tap the cover open with a small block of wood and a hammer. My lock had melted into a solid plug.
View attachment 132116

So I drilled and drilled and drilled and broke bits and pulled the melted lock out in pieces.
View attachment 132117 View attachment 132118

I got all of the tumbler section of the lock out and all that was left was the pin that slides into the hole in the neck surrounded by melted lock. I couldn’t drill through that pin, it was too hard.
At this point I had to make a decision. It wouldn’t budge, I could try to drive the pin into the steering neck and risk getting it stuck, or just stop right there and call it a day.

So naturally I grabbed a BFH and a long punch and proceeded to beat on it like I was pissed at it. And it popped right out.
View attachment 132119 View attachment 132120 View attachment 132121 View attachment 132122

View attachment 132124

you can go a long way with a smile and great personality, you can go a lot further with a smile, a great personality and a big hammer

:woowoo:Way to go! See what happens? We have thumbs and big brains. We will win!* We're smarter and stronger than some dumb ol' piece of stuck metal. Thumbs to hold a BMFH (you know what that is :wink2: ) and big brains to figure out how to apply it. :laugh: Now all you need is one of those salvaged cylinders, and you're back in business! ...if you're even going to replace "the appendix"...
* I say this all the time!

Mailman
You have another problem. The cover is supposed to be chrome and the rivet brass. How will you be able to sleep at night whith it like that?;)
View attachment 132133

Haha! It’s crossed my mind. I’ve decided to think of it as a custom touch! :shrug: Honestly, I’m really not a slave to everything being just like the factory made it. There will be some things that are different, but it will have the right look overall.

View attachment 132115

View attachment 132116

View attachment 132117 View attachment 132118

View attachment 132119 View attachment 132120 View attachment 132121 View attachment 132122

View attachment 132124
I didn’t think for one minute that the, I won’t use it anyway so I’ll leave it as is, philosophy, was in your nature.
Good result.

Lucky you dont live up here. Otherwise you would sit around looking at the snow and before you know it you would have a new lock and cover in place. You could probably take a dremel with the small brase wheel and slowly remove the paint or brush on very small amounts of stripper.

Your pics nicely illustrate how the cover holds the lock in even when it's rotated open. Finding a nice, used replacement probably won't be too difficult. I'm sure someone here will offer one up to help with your project. The only issue may be getting a key for it. Yamaha doesn't seem to sell any of the early blanks any more. I've never dealt with any of the early locks so I don't know if the later blanks (mid '70's and up) will fit. But, we can probably investigate this and find out.

I know that on the later models, all the locks were keyed alike. I'm not sure that was so on the early ones. Do you recall if your ignition key matched your fork and seat locks, or were they different?

I know that on the later models, all the locks were keyed alike. I'm not sure that was so on the early ones. Do you recall if your ignition key matched your fork and seat locks, or were they different?

You know I never even tried to work the ignition lock. And the seat doesn’t have a lock, just a latch. As far as key blank availability goes, I found a local locksmith who had blanks on hand for my ‘77, but the earlier keys look much different.

As I mentioned, pricey little buggers, lol. Is your ignition key double of single sided? Here's a chart that will tell you which Yamaha blank is needed by your lock or key number. The 3 digit early blanks are the ones that are N.L.A. ....

rvaxJhS.jpg

The problem i see with those examples are they are one sided. I believe our XS2 keys are two sided. Would have to carry another key. The only value the fork lock serves is knowing that its there for resale. Otherwise I never use it either.

Back