1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hi Oddjob,
    My resolution to the brakes issues, is all new parts from top to bottom. New master cylinder, caliper, hoses, and inline oil pressure activated brake light switch. My brakes were a huge disappointment for me. I bought rebuild kits for the M/C and caliper and new pistons for the caliper, and the parts were too corroded to rebuild or new parts didn’t fit, so I scrapped it all and am going with new.

2. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    What really bugs me is the reflector mounts will slowly rotate/wander about +/- 20°.I haven't seen anything to keep them perfectly straight.
    Just nit-pickin'...[/QUOTE]
    Yes my 72 reflectors do the same thing. Kinda like the bike walking backwards when on the center stand when you rev it.

My Rd is a 73. Build date is 10-72.
    Bob ,yes it would have been a full resto, just like your doing.

Attached Files:

Mailman likes this.
  3. Mailman

Yes my 72 reflectors do the same thing. Kinda like the bike walking backwards when on the center stand when you rev it.

My Rd is a 73. Build date is 10-72.
    Bob ,yes it would have been a full resto, just like your doing.[/QUOTE]

That RD looks exactly like the one I had! Good luck with it!

4. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    I paid $700 for it several years ago. Probably could have gotten it for less but the guy had cancer and needed the cash. Its in very good overall condition.

Mailman and GLJ like this.
  5. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

Bob......Have you given any thought to putting an job application to Truly Nolen for their car restoration shop?....Maybe part time....

Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  6. Mailman

Ha! Can’t say that I have. :laugh2: I rather enjoy being retired.

geedubya, MaxPete and GLJ like this.
  7. Mailman

WELL THIS WAS FUN !!!

Today I set up shop, broke out containers of clean hardware , sorted in bags by application, containers of clean brackets, my iPad full of reference photos, and went to town.
    The steering head is all assembled, the forks have been installed and still need fork oil in them.
    The rear swingarm is installed. I had spent a lot of time getting things right on that swingarm and it fits like a glove,
    I’m very happy with it, I even reused the unobtanium shim that I found when I took it apart.
    And I’ve got the shocks back on, I’ll try them out when I get this bike on the road, and maybe trade them for some Hagons later. Anyways here are the pics.
    7D8D3438-80EF-499E-B889-151533F706E8.jpeg 9EF8B55A-4A1C-4C0C-AA8F-5A25D0F4FF76.jpeg 9EECE8B8-B486-4010-B7F4-CA4DB7E9880C.jpeg 2AF710AC-E8AB-4B8C-BF7E-96D2546E85A4.jpeg BF94B640-5D0D-4A90-B989-26044B941F03.jpeg 50B35DAB-148F-499F-8CDE-A00CE9EE16F3.jpeg 6227CC80-E884-45B0-8812-94D1E203D829.jpeg 9DC6BBC7-6A57-4DB7-8B0D-3C35AF72EE21.jpeg

It’s starting to look like a motorcycle again! It sure is nice just reaching for clean, rebuilt , ready to go parts.
    I do still have a few things that haven’t even been cleaned yet, but not much. I should have a roller very soon!
    Later,
    Bob

8. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Wow! That's a lot of nit-picking over stupid reflectors! :wink2: I was just gonna put some red and yellow reflective tape on the down tubes and rear shocks and call it good. :laugh: I guess that's just one more reason I call it "The Basketcase"! :whistle:

Wulfbyte, gggGary, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  9. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Oh starting to look very nice. Watching it go together is like reliving my past when I was doing mine(8yrs ago). What silver paint did you use on your engineThat paint job looks very nice. May have to use them for the RD350
    :popcorn:

10. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Tebo, Maybe we will run into each other at Rudy's some day and can compare Basketcases! If you see some guy ride in on a Sproty Sidecar following a Vespa scooter, say HI!

11. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Ok Bob, hate to be a kill joy but you have your fork ears upside down xs2 fork ears copy.jpg

12. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Wow that is gonna be one good looking bike sir! JC

Mailman likes this.
  13. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Not upside down but switched right to left believe. Hate to use my ratty parts bike as an example but here is a picture of the front on that one:

Attached Files:

14. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Both upside down and switched right from left.
    :banghead:

15. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Yup, got some good eyes here.
    Another tell is the location of the turn signal wireclip.
    It should be on top...
    MailmanFrontEars.jpg

Wulfbyte, 59Tebo, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  16. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before parked Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Colorado
    Bob, your bike is looking sooooo good at this point in your restoration. I hope you're glad you got your frame powder coated.
    (sorry about the head light ears)
    :popcorn:

Wulfbyte, Mailman and Jim like this.
  17. Mailman

Well hell....thanks for catching that. You know I took a look at those painted headlight ears , while holding them in my hand and then I glanced at my ‘77 and thought OK they point up.
    7A589F9B-AEBD-472D-8956-650755624468.jpeg

Oh well. One step foward...two steps back.

18. Mailman

I AM happy I went with the powder coating, it came out really great. As for the headlight ears, well, at least I know what I’m going to do tomorrow.

Wulfbyte, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  19. Mailman

Here it is. Good product.
    14C77514-36A0-4C1D-BDA1-3C9B515F01D3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    gggGary, MrBultaco, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  20. MaxPete

MaxPete New knee installed but still breakin’ her in.... Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Looking very nice!

...and I would guess that those ears would look fine to the folks in NZ and Aus....;)

Wulfbyte, gggGary, Meddy and 4 others like this.