1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. JimD54

JimD54 "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try."

Bob, it's only a mistake if you don't catch it. ;) Looking good bud!

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Maybe I should just move down there! I’ve always thought that was a pretty great part of the world!

Thanks Jim , “The things I didn’t know at first, I learned by doing twice.” :D
    It’s all good, I turn my music on and get lost in the process. There’s a whole lot of worse ways to pass the day.

Wulfbyte, MrBultaco, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  3. willis

willis XS650 Junkie

FBE551D2-1871-4575-9850-5C388E763E93.jpeg
    Been waiting for this a long tim Bob!!! Your tenacity is really paying off!!!

4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Hahaha! :laugh2: Me too Willis! Me too! It’s been ten and a half months since I began. ( I lost a couple months due to the move and getting my new shop set up)

Wulfbyte, JimD54 and MaxPete like this.
  5. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Funny, I saw those ears then looked at your bike in the background and knew what you did. :laugh:. Thanks for the paint info. I know its in this thread somewhere but the darn thing is 90 pages. This has got to be close to a record post. I vote it the most interesting post on the 650 forum.

By the way that 77 is such a lovely bike.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Wulfbyte and Mailman like this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Haha! I know huh? I just wanted to have a little blog to record my project! I need an index.

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and JimD54 like this.
  7. geedubya

geedubya geedubya

Robert,

You have yourself a potential calendar girl there.

Geedub

TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and Mailman like this.
  8. geedubya

geedubya geedubya

Pete,

You are a funny guy.

Geedub

Wulfbyte, MaxPete and JimD54 like this.
  9. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Thanks GW!

geedubya and JimD54 like this.
  10. MaxPete

MaxPete Winter is coming - dammit!

Sorry GW, I took a double dose of my "smart-@ss" medication yesterday. ;)

Besides - you guys have great weather while up-northers like me, Lakeview, Canuck, Gary and soooo many others have...well, lets not talk about the weather.

dammit.

P

geedubya, JimD54, canuck1969 and 2 others like this.
  11. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

We have very little snow at the moment, which is a bit odd for this time of year around here, but the temp outside is a balmy 17°F, lol.

geedubya, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  12. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Well this morning I did a lot of chasing my tail , out looking for fork oil. First I went to Cycle Gear, but the heaviest they had was 20 weight, too light for my needs. So then I thought I’d follow 2M and get some cheap 20-50 car oil , so I went to Walmart. Nothing except premium motor oil available in that weight. So I settled on this, 30 weight , which is what my manual calls for.
    F0ECCB0F-C607-49CB-BB1E-4DF5C16428DE.jpeg
    I added just a smidge over what the manual calls for.
    111D9B6A-7A4D-4FED-8D03-38288EDA6A55.jpeg
    Then I buttoned these forks all up. Notice that the headlight ears have been repositioned.
    0A9FF9C4-84D4-49B3-9117-6E7D7E6830D5.jpeg

After that, I knew that I wanted to get my battery box installed early on, because it is such a bear to wrestle in from the side. Coming in through the back, when there is nothing there was easy peasy!
    D29ED675-E0A0-476C-9BEE-9D1BC666E944.jpeg F2F89BDF-8E03-4E14-A1F3-16D347FFD2B3.jpeg A38AED25-A464-47C3-B2D1-8E960BCD34F1.jpeg

I HAD THE RIGHT EARS IN THE WRONG PLACE.....
    F0309317-7EA7-479C-918D-F03027FE9DFF.jpeg

13. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

My front brake disc bearing conundrum......

Long ago I ordered replacement bearings for my front disc. From Partzilla, this is the number they show for my bike and it’s the same number on the bearings they sent me.
    9487BA3F-542F-44EB-81B6-DFAAE277C1F9.jpeg
    1D5290A7-9060-4612-9CFB-37589776A702.jpeg
    I dug them out today and even though the number on the box is correct, they are clearly not the same size as the ones currently in my disc.
    Now here is my Yamaha parts manual.
    F0FB2BDF-82E7-405C-ADCD-8A8F66ADD94F.jpeg A5577B97-BDDE-445F-B35F-06367D1918B3.jpeg

Different number, close, but no cigar.

Lastly, I can see the number on my bearing
    D3608F97-AC55-4952-83EB-101AD402A8E8.jpeg

And if I google Koyo and that number I can find it for sale.

https://www.123bearing.com/bearing-16005-KOYO.php

So what I’m trying to figure out , is if I order that bearing just by that number, would it be correct for my application.

I would just grease and reuse the bearings that are currently in my disc, but one of them feels crunchy when you rotate it.

Signed,
    Confused in Arizona

14. MaxPete

MaxPete Winter is coming - dammit!

Hi Mailman:

Bearings from the same mfr using the name designator number SHOULD be the same. There are about five key characteristics that define a given bearing:
    • Outer race OD;
    • Inner race ID;
    • Balls caged / not caged (the balls in that photo are caged);
    • Width axially (how much of the shaft will the bearing cover when the shaft is inside the bearing?);
    • Seal / no seal etc. (the photo shows no seal);
    As long as all of that matches up - you should be fine.

Pete

15. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie

The Koyo bearing on 123 bearings should be the same thing. Just to feel better can you check the measurements given at that site against the bearing in your disc?

Ball bearings are somewhat standard parts unless they are used in very special application like extreme high speed. Those often will have a code number besides the basic number that would indicated special clearances or higher than normal precision on the bearing. I have my doubts that any of those consideration apply to your application.

Now if you are planing on setting a land speed record on two wheels or if you were restoring a SR-71 Blackbird I might suggest something else!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. Dear Confused,
    Long ago, someone once told me "...When in doubt, the book prevails..." If that's what it says, I'd go with it. Whadya got to lose? Ya already bought the wrong part, right? Compared to what you've got into this (clearly) museum restoration (EAT YER HEART OUT, SMITHSONIAN!!!), bearings is cheap... :twocents:

17. gggGary

gggGary Horsepower; just noise 'til the tire hooks up.

Deep groove ball bearing 16005-KOYO, Inner diam. 25 mm, Outer diam. 47 mm, Width 8 mm,
    don't despair, compare! :bike:

ps talk about envy...
    hadda ago get a bucket to catch the drool.

Kinda like how those ears looked the first way you had em. :laughing:

18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Haha! Well thanks guys, I appreciate all the input, I’ve been scouting around and that size bearing is available at lots of outlets. I think I’ll go ahead and knock those bearings out and take some good measurements, I’m beginning to feel confident I can find replacements.

00E4B07D-6AD3-4A63-985C-3AC565352652.jpeg

geedubya, MaxPete, 59Tebo and 3 others like this.
  19. Bob, the parts pics aren't clear on this, and I'm not sure of the XS2.
    But on the XS1s, the round can flasher relay mounts to the bottom of the battery box by way of a round clamp. The flasher body needs to be grounded thru the round clamp, to the battery box. Which requires that the battery box be grounded...

MaxPete, JimD54 and Mailman like this.
  20. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

Have you looked at the bearing you got from Partzilla and checked for a number stamped on it's side? Maybe it's the same, or a variation, like with rubber seals instead of open? That new part number could represent an upgraded, maybe sealed bearing. They did that with wheel bearings over the years. Some early ones were open, some had metal shields. Eventually they changed to the 2 rubber seal types (2RS).

geedubya likes this.