...My XS had another quirk as I recall, when riding along on a steady throttle sometimes the power would drop off a cliff, and then imidiately come back. Never figured that one out to this day...

Maybe something in here?

72-07-20_S294-01_CarburetorChange.jpg

Bob, at the rate you're going, I'm probably too late for this, and I'm not sure if it applies to your XS2.

Front wheel and fender.
XS2-FrontWheel.jpg

Back working on '70s bikes, we usually had to install the front fender first, before installing the front wheel. The fender installation bolts wouldn't clear the wheel's rim.

Maybe that's why your other forks have the broken mount hole?

Excellent pics and description of the XS2's front disc assembly!

Front wheel and fender.
View attachment 133300

Back working on '70s bikes, we usually had to install the front fender first, before installing the front wheel. The fender installation bolts wouldn't clear the wheel's rim.

TwoMany, I was thinking that also but then saw this picture and it looks like it might not be a problem, could be close!
fender.png

You can fit the fender after the wheel on the later forks but it is kind of fiddly. I always loosely mount it before the wheel goes on. Much easier to access the mounting bolts that way. I leave it loose until after the axle is tight so it won't possibly cause some binding. Something else you're supposed to do before tightening the axle clamp on the left fork leg is to pump the forks several times. That lets the left fork leg move in or out slightly on the axle if need be and align itself.

You can fit the fender after the wheel on the later forks but it is kind of fiddly. I always loosely mount it before the wheel goes on. Much easier to access the mounting bolts that way. I leave it loose until after the axle is tight so it won't possibly cause some binding. Something else you're supposed to do before tightening the axle clamp on the left fork leg is to pump the forks several times. That lets the left fork leg move in or out slightly on the axle if need be and align itself.

I’ll keep that in mind before I put it in the road, thanks!

Maybe something in here?

View attachment 133299
That makes interesting reading. It would explain the symptom I had. Bulletin dated 72 so Yamaha knew about it before I bought mine Aug 73, although mine was probably made in 72.
I think the dealer wanted to see the last of it, and when I took it for the first service the last thing they wanted to do was faf about with it. I wonder if owners of early bikes still have the same problem. Thanks for the info. PS sorry for taking the limelight away from the real thread.

Last edited:
Before pumping the forks, loosen the fender mounting bolts and the axle clamp on the bottom of the left fork leg. Now, you can just grab the front brake and pump the forks, but I prefer to roll the bike's front wheel up against a wall and pump the forks by just pushing down on the handlebars. That single disc, being on one side only, puts lots of twisting force on the fork when applied. When done pumping, I gently set the bike over on the sidestand and tighten the axle clamp on the left fork leg. Then I'll centerstand it and tighten the fender bolts. I do the axle clamp 1st on the sidestand to avoid the slight possibility that centerstanding the bike, which "shocks" the forks a little when they fully extend and "top out", might knock the left leg back out of alignment.

A little update.......

So naturally the first thing I did today was to try and fit the front fender on........well the short story here is it can be mounted with the wheel in place. PHEW!

But I made some interesting discoveries. When I first put the front wheel back in, I was concerned that the tire didn’t seem centered between the forks. I worried that I had, perhaps, done something wrong. There was nothing wrong, the wheel is indeed offset in the space. It’s that oddball brake disc , it takes up a lot of real estate down there.

FC87CF7A-DA71-41C3-AD8C-79EE5593DA06.jpeg

The fender even comes with offset spacers right from the factory.
5FC0845A-E78D-4B3E-90C6-A0A0E78D3824.jpeg

There was just enough room to work the fender bolts in and tighten them up.
59DF84EE-885C-49B9-98E9-8E536219614C.jpeg

In fact the fender gets moved over so close to the left fork leg that the fender mount has an oval shaped hole in it , that is functional, it creates clearance for the fork leg.
3915A448-789E-4093-8018-F473901C9B4B.jpeg

94FB2E1A-279A-468D-A969-A02635AE9CFD.jpeg

I then installed the fender stays, I absolutely love the look of the early fenders, they just look retro and beefy and cool.
6D122050-5B92-4B78-AEC7-48E2D929E3D6.jpeg

After that I worked on getting my chrome , rear fender loop mounted. And also my chain guard.
5D2C18C0-7B91-4F01-A451-552F82C433D5.jpeg
70874DF4-9AE0-4FA0-93E2-07E2ACF6B17F.jpeg

You know , I took a ton of reference photos and I have created albums of photos in my IPad, categories such as chassis, electrical, instruments and such. I have hundreds. I mention this because I wish I would’ve taken even more. There is so much detail on these bikes, little things like special washers, grommets and special hardware, that I sometimes find myself scratching my head and trying to remember exactly how something went. Also I had bags and bags of cleaned bolts , washers, and nuts and I did my best to label everything clearly and still...I find myself searching for tidbits.

On another note: Look what showed up today! My new repro original handlebars. They are the correct original shape and size and are weighted just like factory bars.
This photo shows what was on my bike when I bought it ( new bars in front ) the old bars are wrapped in plastic. They had a higher rise and the grips were angled down. They were comfortable but the caused the master cylinder to be steeply angled.
B8E1C50D-2C91-42BD-B3AA-C500312D4643.jpeg

11F0BB99-6C6A-4BDA-AE0F-F3924D70F610.jpeg

That’s all for now.
Later,
Bob

I like the look of fender stays too, was sad to see them disappear in the 80's. My '74 front wheel was offset by about 1/4" after I swapped fork legs from left to right, I did this to place the caliper behind the right fork leg, caliper to rotor alignment was just fine after the swap, so, the wheel had to be offset to the other side from factory, didn't have the original fender to verify this.

Scott

A little update.......

So naturally the first thing I did today was to try and fit the front fender on........well the short story here is it can be mounted with the wheel in place. PHEW!

But I made some interesting discoveries. When I first put the front wheel back in, I was concerned that the tire didn’t seem centered between the forks. I worried that I had, perhaps, done something wrong. There was nothing wrong, the wheel is indeed offset in the space. It’s that oddball brake disc , it takes up a lot of real estate down there.
Hi Mailman. You keep bringing back memories for me. I recall my XS in 73 had high and wide bars, I thought I would narrow them down a bit 2inch each side ought to do it. Grabbing a hacksaw I started cutting, only take a minute, I thought. Never figured Yamaha would make the bars solid at the ends. End result, aching saw arm, narrower bars but more tingle. I later swapped them for Vincent straights, more racy.
Soon be pressing that start button, I’m glued to the story. Thanks.
View attachment 133338

The fender even comes with offset spacers right from the factory.
View attachment 133339

There was just enough room to work the fender bolts in and tighten them up.
View attachment 133340

In fact the fender gets moved over so close to the left fork leg that the fender mount has an oval shaped hole in it , that is functional, it creates clearance for the fork leg.
View attachment 133341
View attachment 133342

I then installed the fender stays, I absolutely love the look of the early fenders, they just look retro and beefy and cool.
View attachment 133343

After that I worked on getting my chrome , rear fender loop mounted. And also my chain guard.
View attachment 133344 View attachment 133345
You know , I took a ton of reference photos and I have created albums of photos in my IPad, categories such as chassis, electrical, instruments and such. I have hundreds. I mention this because I wish I would’ve taken even more. There is so much detail on these bikes, little things like special washers, grommets and special hardware, that I sometimes find myself scratching my head and trying to remember exactly how something went. Also I had bags and bags of cleaned bolts , washers, and nuts and I did my best to label everything clearly and still...I find myself searching for tidbits.

On another note: Look what showed up today! My new repro original handlebars. They are the correct original shape and size and are weighted just like factory bars.
This photo shows what was on my bike when I bought it ( new bars in front ) the old bars are wrapped in plastic. They had a higher rise and the grips were angled down. They were comfortable but the caused the master cylinder to be steeply angled.
View attachment 133346
View attachment 133347

That’s all for now.
Later,
Bob

Did you get the bars from NCS?

I DIDNT GET A HECK OF A LOT DONE TODAY.......

I had to catch up on my honey do’s today, happy wife - happy life and all that.

But I did manage to sneak out to my lair and get a little more done. I found some hardware that had been misplaced. My chain guard hardware that contained specialty stuff in it, odd shaped washers and grommets with steel sleeves inside, I had temporarily subbed in stuff I had laying around.
51CE188E-B5ED-4D19-BC47-27591A511904.jpeg
D3474B47-6068-4578-858E-6EB7FA6DC556.jpeg

I got my rear fender installed.
F0AE9282-6C3A-46D6-92C4-ABB66E294F10.jpeg

Cleaned up my turn signal flasher and it’s mount and installed it on the front of the rear fender.
12B591DC-9B54-49CE-80A3-9C3488BE9870.jpeg

2M had remarked about the flasher unit being on the rear fender.....
“Now I'm wondering how the rear fender gets its ground...”

And I gotta say. Darned if I know!
The entire fender assembly is mounted on rubber.
A51FC717-2058-4201-ACAC-21AFF0550352.jpeg

Every contact point has rubber between it and the frame. This is one of those mounting cups from the front, inside the cup is a rubber plug that slips over a steel post on the frame.
FF3EF843-A1FF-43CC-8A17-10F249207305.jpeg

So, just how the heck does that flasher unit ground? Through the wiring perhaps?

One last thing, I’ll let you inside my head for a little debate I’m having with myself. I have in my possession, or soon will have, the following items.
1. A new VR-115 voltage regulator
2. A couple of new small Chinese solid state rectifiers
3. A new Pamco ignition
4. New points and condensers set

I’m wondering if I should set everything up the way it came from the factory first and get the bike running, before tackling the upgrades one at a time , over time. I started thinking about this and worried that if I install all of the changes before attempting to fire the bike up and I have some sort of problem, I won’t be sure if it is one of my new components flaking out on me. I’m gonna think on this some more.

Later gator
Bob

Off hand Im not sure either but it works, at least mine does. Im thinking it is grounded through the taillight bracket? Ill have to check mine and see if there is a ground wire to the fender somewhere. Cant remember. That upper bolt on the lower mount looks like it could be polished a bit more. I think your slipping a bit.

Last edited:
Back