You're doing a bang-up job here Bob. It's a pleasure to watch your work progress.

For spacers to apply pressure to the partially assembled head, I used to use various 1/2" drive sockets. They slip nicely over the studs. I finally got around to cutting proper length spacer tubes from some old handlebars, now kept in a little plastic jar with the needed washers for future use.

Applying some downward pressure to the freshly assembled parts is usually required to get the new cam chain on the cam sprocket because it's so tight.

I'll also add that I never found the need for the Popsicle sticks, I was always able to just compress the rings with my fingers. There's a pretty good bevel on the bottom of these bores so some gentle rocking and downward pressure on the piston while pushing in on the rings was all it ever took.

I'll also add that I never found the need for the Popsicle sticks, I was always able to just compress the rings with my fingers.

Those aren't really Popsicle sticks Dr. Bob is using tongue depressors.

Not sure if they were before or after he used them on his last patient, nor am I sure what they a depressed about!

You're doing a bang-up job here Bob. It's a pleasure to watch your work progress.
Applying some downward pressure to the freshly assembled parts is usually required to get the new cam chain on the cam sprocket because it's so tight.

Thanks 5Twins, I really appreciate that. I will keep your advice in mind!

I'll also add that I never found the need for the Popsicle sticks, I was always able to just compress the rings with my fingers. There's a pretty good bevel on the bottom of these bores so some gentle rocking and downward pressure on the piston while pushing in on the rings was all it ever took.

Yeah, I was frankly surprised at just how easily the rings went in. I think I could’ve done it with just my fingers.

Circumstances here are keeping me out of the garage until the end of the week. With any luck I’ll have the assembly finished by the end of the weekend.

Hope you don't mind Bob..... I 'stole' your popsicle pic and added it to the topend howto.:whistle:

Untitled.png

17232E63-45BB-465D-9BE5-D82E60CCCCF8.jpeg

Well, I really didn’t see this coming. It was certainly not the plan. My wife and I have talked about moving many times over the years but nothing ever progressed beyond the talking stage. Over the last few days that changed. Suddenly we were looking at houses in earnest and today we bought another home about twenty miles away.
So.....what does this mean to my XS2 build? It’s gonna come to a screeching halt very soon. I will get my engine finished and then throw myself into packing and getting this house ready to sell, then the move and trying to get the new place set up. I told my wife I’m not really looking foward to moving a motorcycle that’s in a thousand pieces. My beloved garage of 29 years has to be moved and re assembled , and the new place is a blank slate. It’ll take some time. I’ll still be around the forum and I’ll keep you posted.
—Bob

View attachment 124839

Well, I really didn’t see this coming. It was certainly not the plan. My wife and I have talked about moving many times over the years but nothing ever progressed beyond the talking stage. Over the last few days that changed. Suddenly we were looking at houses in earnest and today we bought another home about twenty miles away.
So.....what does this mean to my XS2 build? It’s gonna come to a screeching halt very soon. I will get my engine finished and then throw myself into packing and getting this house ready to sell, then the move and trying to get the new place set up. I told my wife I’m not really looking foward to moving a motorcycle that’s in a thousand pieces. My beloved garage of 29 years has to be moved and re assembled , and the new place is a blank slate. It’ll take some time. I’ll still be around the forum and I’ll keep you posted.
—Bob

Wow - that’s a big change Bob - but congratulations!

I’m confident that you will accomplish this house move in the same highly organized, efficient and graceful fashion as you have done your bike restoration projects.

Pete

Wow - that’s a big change Bob - but congratulations!

I’m confident that you will accomplish this house move in the same highly organized, efficient and graceful fashion as you have done your bike restoration projects.

Pete

Thanks Pete! I’ve got a lot of balls in the air right now. Buying a new house before selling my old one. I’ve gotta get hustling! Then back to the important things in life, working on my bike and kibitzing on this forum! :D

Bob,
First, congratulations on the new abode.
Now, commandeer whatever room is adjacent to the garage. Convert this to your new shop. Add an addition if you must. But you are retired and clearly LOVE to work on bikes. You are a better mechanic than I will ever be. This is your passion. Don't sell yourself short.

Partners may want, and get, granite countertops, Jacuzzi tubs, walk-in closets. Having a shop with good light and AC in the AZ heat is fair compensation. You deserve a dedicated shop. And years of wrenching.

Best wishes, and we all await the rest of the build.
ee

Bob,
First, congratulations on the new abode.
Now, commandeer whatever room is adjacent to the garage. Convert this to your new shop. Add an addition if you must. But you are retired and clearly LOVE to work on bikes. You are a better mechanic than I will ever be. This is your passion. Don't sell yourself short.

Partners may want, and get, granite countertops, Jacuzzi tubs, walk-in closets. Having a shop with good light and AC in the AZ heat is fair compensation. You deserve a dedicated shop. And years of wrenching.

Best wishes, and we all await the rest of the build.
ee

Thanks DoubleE! I appreciate the kind words. Don’t you worry, as soon as possible....
19FE4945-EBB4-4EB7-B948-474932ED0C6A.gif

Congrats, Bob ! This one took me by surprize.
Trading UP to more garage/workspace space, I hope?

Ha! I wish that were the case! Downsizing actually. Our kids have long been adults, our house is larger than our needs. We are going from a two story to a single story in the retirement community of Sun City Grand. The garage is roughly the same size but just an empty space.
C6700FC3-5034-4900-BFD8-00E0CC043779.jpeg

B80FD9D8-8D03-47BD-B9F1-B7D447CDCFD7.jpeg

40FD47F6-A0E7-47C4-8431-C6AFFCF292E9.jpeg

I see a nice big space out front (right where that For Sale sign is located in the photo) - perfect for a M/C workshop Bob. There would be plenty of room for a lift and all the accoutrements (big screen TV, BEvERage fridge, couch for snoozes, microwave for warming up snacks, A/C etc.).

Last edited:
Ok back to business, I am trying to get my engine back together. And
I GOT A PROBLEM!! My cam has been installed. Timing is on the mark. Here are some photos.
74249C7B-C24B-403E-83B6-D229727A1BA2.jpeg
79D2B27C-E173-4AB2-8F45-810F3C6754B7.jpeg

Here is the punch mark on the cam with my timing mark on TDC.
5617E791-8E1B-404C-9044-4B3E4B114A29.jpeg

The cam is not backward, and it has been carefully centered and measured.
04797A54-15DF-45E8-9151-BA7AEC2E0EBE.jpeg
8A008F6B-61FE-45C0-818E-11DA753732EA.jpeg
EE81DEC7-6A98-4F41-8189-13417BAF34DF.jpeg

So why the heck is the cam lifting the rocker cover?

I have other photos if you want them.
Signed frustrated in Phoenix

Back