Mailmans , 77D getting a makeover

Ok, I got a little more done today,
Got my top head stay mounts put back on, after having them off to re torque my head.
View attachment 142390

I had my carbs on and off several times fussing with fuel line routing and checking clearances. Then put them on for good , along with the air boxes and got everything buttoned up.

My bike had these crappy clear vinyl tubes that were being used as my breather tubes. I was looking at these things and thinking how much I didn’t like them, when I remembered I had bought some bulk black tubing when I did my XS2, so snip snip, I made some new ones, and got them installed.

View attachment 142391 View attachment 142392

Then I moved on to what I thought would be some really easy jobs. At least one was.....
This photo is for reference. You know those rubber dampers that mount in those holes in the front of the side covers? ( photo from my XS2). Those are factory, two of them from Partzilla with shipping is nearly $18 !!!
They’re just little rubber buttons! So I started looking for an alternative on EBay.
View attachment 142393
What I found are speaker parts, little rubber speaker feet. $5 and free shipping for a bag of them.
View attachment 142394

They are dimensionally perfect.
View attachment 142396

And here they are on my 77D.
View attachment 142397

Now here is my dilemma of the day. ( There always has to be one right? )
My new replacement side cover latch assemblies from Mikes XS. Photo shows the inner metal sleeve removed for installation.
View attachment 142398

Except, I cannot squeeze that sucker in there, no how, no way. The thing that looks like a rubber bushing feels like barely flexible plastic, it’s nearly impossible to squeeze it through a hole. And in my case IT WONT GO.
When I measured the opening on my side cover I came up with 14mm, measuring the diameter of the grommet, where it’s supposed to fit in the opening, is 16mm. It’s too big for the opening, and even if I could squeeze it down into that hole, I’d never get the metal inner sleeve back in.
View attachment 142399

Has ANYONE ever made this thing work? I’m ready to go to the hardware store and look at grommets.
Ah well, I’m in no rush. Summer is here in a big way.......110 degrees coming Wednesday. :yikes: The first of very many I’m afraid.

Later,
Bob
I know it’s an old post but I had the same issue with these side cover rubber grommets. Bought new from Sumo Rubber and received OEM rubber bits. Soft and pliable. Went in real easy.

Back