Mailmans , 77D getting a makeover

Here ya go buddy.....

View attachment 140951

View attachment 140952

View attachment 140953

3 coats of DoPont Centari. I think I'll let 'em cure for about a week before I box 'em up.
Jim,
The side covers look great !

Dupont Centari ? They are still making it ?
Yesterday, I tossed out a half-full canister of hardener, maybe 40 years old, but maybe its still good ??

centari 001.JPG

...and are they still producing this with isocyanates ?
....And are you back to spraying indoors ?? :eek:

Please don't say yes..........

....And are you back to spraying indoors ?? :eek:

Please don't say yes..........
Nope. Shot 'em in my makeshift paint booth. Brought 'em indoors 'cause the storms have broke some of the plastic loose and I didn't want to chance the bugs getting at 'em.

Nope. Shot 'em in my makeshift paint booth. Brought 'em indoors 'cause the storms have broke some of the plastic loose and I didn't want to chance the bugs getting at 'em.

I’m quite sure that Centauri will be every bit as hard as the old white paint that was on them before. Back in my fleet garage days, I used to shoot our fleet of International trucks with Imron and I was always amazed at how hard that paint was and how well it retained gloss. We used to have this great big gas fired steam cleaner at the shop and we used really harsh detergent soap in it. The truck drivers would come in and fire that thing up and wash their trucks with it , and it was darn near live steam. And it never fazed that Imron paint , those trucks would look shiny and new like you just painted them.

gggGary said:
Dated 1898, Yamaha ain't a new company.

The big four are not new companies by any means. I may be wrong but I think Kawasaki built planes in WW2. Maybe the kamakasi.

After a period of time as an auto mechanic before WW-2, Soichiro Honda started building small engines for use on bicycles in the mid-1940s and Kawasaki motorcycles is a small division of Kawasaki Heavy Industries (started in around 1880 as a shipyard) who build all sorts of stuff from aircraft engines to ships. Suzuki started just after 1900 building weaving looms.

Last edited:
It really is amazing , the diversity of these companies. I’ve been reading about the big Japanese companies, they are so diversified!
Kawasaki is the 1000 lb gorilla, they build everything!

It really is amazing , the diversity of these companies. I’ve been reading about the big Japanese companies, they are so diversified!
Kawasaki is the 1000 lb gorilla, they build everything!

Nowadays Kawasaki is part of Fuji Heavy industries who make Subaru cars, ships and a shed load of heavy earth moving equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Corporation
"Corporate mission
Kandō (感動) is a Japanese word used by Yamaha Corporation to describe their corporate mission. Kandō in translation describes the sensation of profound excitement and gratification derived from experiencing supreme quality and performance.[19] Some reasonable English synonyms are "emotionally touching" or "emotionally moving"."

Kandō (感動) is a Japanese word used by Yamaha Corporation to describe their corporate mission. Kandō in translation describes the sensation of profound excitement and gratification derived from experiencing supreme quality and performance.
An impressive mission statement. Leave it to the Japanese, cultural masters, to come up with such an inspiring message.

It motivates me to approach my Yamaha keyboard for an impromptu performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20, 2nd Movement, Romanze.

yam 003.JPG
yam 002.JPG

Back