1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailmans , 77D getting a makeover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, May 5, 2019.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Hohoho - you are a very funny man Mr. Goetz. :rolleyes:

P

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and Jim like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Things got a little stalled out here last time I posted. The petcocks that I had so lovingly restored had the wrong bolt hole spacing for this tank I bought. So I ordered a couple from eBay with the correct 46mm hole spacing.

They arrived yesterday, but as usual , you change one small thing and it starts a cascade. Here you can see the new one on the right, compared to my old one. Notice the thickness of the mounting flange.
    4FBE640C-3ED7-46DA-8DD0-FA9F005BA695.jpeg

It is so much thicker that now my screws are too short. I’ll need to run to the hardware store and pick up some longer ones. ( Oh darn! I just hate going to the hardware store and rummaging around in cabinets! :D )

A666FA53-846E-458E-A70A-9F4041708F6D.jpeg

I was thinking about breaking these new petcocks down and polishing them, but the action feels really smooth already. I might let them go.

Still lots to do! :)

Later, Bob

GLJ, Wulfbyte, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Why is the "reserve" standpipe longer?

Jim likes this.
  4. Mailman

Haha! I had to look. That’s too funny. Wouldn’t want to use up all the gas in your tank would you? :rolleyes:

Wulfbyte, TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  5. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Bob: since it’s steel threaded into steel, you’re probably OK with 6 mm (i.e. one diameter) of thread engagement - particularly since what you’re mainly doing is compressing that o-ring.

I’d guess that the fish-plate welded to the bottom of the tank is only about 1/8” thick anyway and there is no point in having 1/2” of screw sticking up proud of the bottom of the tank.

Pete

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

I'd get the longer bolts in stainless allen head, less chance of slipping and scratching that nice new tank now and in the future.

Scott

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  7. TwoManyXS1Bs

Can you get them with a wide flange, like the originals, to properly seat/seal against the fiber washer? Maybe wide button-head?

8. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

.....or even polished stainless bolts.

IMG_20190519_123902.jpg

MaxPete and Mailman like this.
  9. Mailman

Well I am making a little progress on my project. I’ve been working on the petcocks, for one. 2M made the observation that the stand tube for the reserve tap was too long, and he was quite correct, in fact both tubes were too long. I have no idea why they were so long, but I shortened them. Then , because I really wanted the filter screens on the tubes, and they always fall off. I super glued them on.
    FE030180-F7AD-4527-A575-FA6980B2CF29.jpeg 8EF2DB0A-1A13-4DFF-8433-CBD10D3337F3.jpeg

Next up, you may remember that because the mounting flange is so much thicker than my old petcocks, my mounting screws were too short. Pete suggested that they may still be long enough, so I checked and they only showed 3mm of exposed thread.

So off to the hardware store for some replacements. I looked for stainless steel button head screws but the head wasn’t large enough for the sealing washers. So I settled on 6mm x 20mm small head flange bolts. They’re actually very nice! The hex head is 8mm.
    B8E7235F-2968-422E-AFB0-E218E369B0E5.jpeg

I installed them with those hard fiber washers I picked up a couple weeks ago and they are super easy to snug up with that hex head, almost too easy! You have to be careful not to over tighten them.
    8E717947-DE53-4D1A-ADDE-BB8B2F2A99B9.jpeg C7838B62-2805-4D74-9EDD-82C34C9A7FFF.jpeg

So the tank is all done mechanically, all I need now is the Yamaha emblems I ordered from England. Right on cue, up pulls the mailman with two parcels for me, one is the Yamaha emblems and the other has my freshly painted side covers from Jim! They look great! Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:
    8A6087DB-F8C9-4946-A635-8A32435749BF.jpeg 92F8D90E-2E2E-49F4-A950-C23DAE3FBE89.jpeg F11BAEEE-39F0-42AB-9083-5E43EB589E06.jpeg

So, things are starting to pop here! Still much to do, I need to recover my seat and install the grips, and pull the carbs for cleaning and do a total tune up.
    I think the bike is going to look and run great!
    Until next time,
    Bob

59Tebo, Meddy, TwoManyXS1Bs and 3 others like this.
  10. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

does anybody else have experience with super glue exposed to gasoline ?
    Your XS's are hard to beat for looks and style points Bob !

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  11. Mailman

Thanks Randy!

Honestly, I have no idea if it’ll work or not. If it works, I’ll claim the idea as my own. If it fails, I’ll blame Gary! Haha! :lmao:

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

13. Mailman

Haha! Didn’t you tell me to do that? :pimp:
    7D39F8CF-1BFD-489E-844A-446294C18BFD.jpeg

14. TwoManyXS1Bs

Ooooooh, I like those small-head flange bolts...

gggGary and Jim like this.
  15. Mailman

Seats done! Man, this one was a bear! I bought this cover from a company in England because I liked their product. It looks EXACTLY like a factory seat cover, and oh Lordy is it a tight fit! I tried soaking the cover in the hot sun first, which helped, but I still had to apply a little heat gun as I went around to get it over the seat pan. Really happy with the results. Looks like new! :)
    E8E42C9C-3B4B-4804-8723-24CFD4963747.jpeg AD4FCEF0-BDC8-44BD-A880-449807D1839D.jpeg 9DF1D199-B470-46A8-A481-47A2F99050EA.jpeg

SEd27, TwoManyXS1Bs, willis and 3 others like this.
  16. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Nice! I'll have a seat headed your way shortly.... :rolleyes:

17. Mailman

Haha! Thanks Jim, any time buddy! :thumbsup:

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.