Mailmans , 77D getting a makeover

Yup, and one of my engineering buddies in London, ON bought the other one. He has a good deal of experience restoring vehicles (British sports cars - he’s a patient and skilled guy) and he’s a long-time biker so he’ll get there. I expect he will be a new forum member shortly as he’s got a task ahead.

Lakeview is using his legal skills to assist us with some of the paperwork and he’s also helping us with Big Blue (his Chevy Express van) to haul them because neither is a runner. I won’t lie, I’m pleased in some ways, but as I said, this is definitely a bittersweet thing.

Pete

The ‘77D is fully operational and as Angus and I can confirm from our last ride with Robin last October, it is darned fast and a steady handler.

We don’t know much about the ‘78E or the TX650 except that they both appear to be reasonably complete. The TX is still seized but we’ve got some ideas on how to address that (suggestions welcome however)..

Last edited:
The ‘77D is fully operational and as Angus and I can confirm from our last ride with Robin last October, it is darned fast and a steady handler.

We don’t know much about the ‘78E or the TX650 except that they both appear to be reasonably complete. The TX is still seized but we’ve got some idas on how to address that (suggestions welcome however)..

Yeah, his 77 was the one he rebuilt. I know he was still struggling with cam seal leaks that were pretty bad. But the bike ran great!

The ‘78 , was the project he was getting ready to throw himself into. I seem to remember that he had built a very nice set of carbs for that bike, I thought i remembered it ran pretty good? Maybe I’m off on that.

That 73, was a serious long term project.

Thanks Bob. His son has the ‘77D, my friend John will tackle the ‘73 TX650 and I will do the ‘78E.
Cheers in a big way Pete !
This XSE project is more very exciting news to read. I do recall you as being fond of the 78E’s in the past . I sure will enjoy this as well. I sure hope to contribute a piece or two on that bike.
Hope everybody had a great weekend.
Inspiration is again building
:thumbsup:
-RT

...which of my three is “the one” Randy?

January 2017 :rolleyes:
E0DEBDD0-F814-4562-8B29-B3785AD9CA19.jpeg 9372F9E4-A409-48D1-8385-3D5D2A384CD6.jpeg 06643A4F-E5B1-48F6-818A-5D9D04063B71.jpeg

OK.....BACK TO BUSINESS :pimp:

I’ve been doing mucho cleaning on my engine, it was pretty nasty after being used and abused for the last two years without much cleaning between rides. To the best of my knowledge the engine looks to have never been apart and I’m getting a lot of the usual oil vapor coming out around the gaskets. So I’ve been doing some heavy duty cleaning.

One of the places that I noticed I’m getting a lot of oil build up was around the valve covers. The factory o rings have seen better days.
6936B5C9-C8DD-40A9-BB45-515051D31B2B.jpeg

When they are tightened up, it’s metal to metal, so....I ordered a set of super duper red silicone valve cover o-rings
From our very own Gary to take care of the problem. In case you’ve been living under a rock, they are for sale in the classified section. I’m really looking forward to getting them!

http://www.xs650.com/threads/4-valve-cover-o-rings-to-your-mailbox-10-00.27085/

It wasn’t all just obsessive cleaning today. Since I have so much off of the motor, it seemed like a good time to do a compression test. I have never done one on this bike since I’ve had it, it always ran so good and I did not have a compression tester until recently. I’ll admit, I wasn’t really sure I wanted to know, I didn’t relish the thought of rebuilding this motor. The results?

150 lbs on the left cylinder and
160 lbs on the right cylinder

I’ll take it! For its age and having almost 27,000 miles on it, I think that’s pretty good! :)

I also set the cam chain tension and adjusted the valves.
AE01623F-913D-4C32-A4A1-0B71A4D4C9AB.jpeg
51E008D4-E5F7-43C0-92B8-D2119A117CBD.jpeg

They needed just the smallest of adjustments.

Also Pete, thanks for the reminder to check my brushes. I pulled them out and measured them and they were both approximately 12mm long, I believe the wear limit is 7mm, so they went back in, but I will order a back up set.

A couple of things that will need attention in the future, but I’m not going to do them now, are the swingarm bushings need to be replaced. I had all the parts to do the job, but they found their way into my XS2 instead.
So I’ll have to order new parts. That’s a job for another day.

Also, when I first went through this bike, I replaced the crankshaft seal, because my stator was soaked with oil,
And now I’m noticing things are looking oily in there again. That is bugging me and it looks like I need another new seal.

So, I’m making progress, chipping away at the necessaries and that’s good enough for me! ;)
Later!
Bob

Good enough for Granddad

Back