Mailman’s XS2 , pulled the engine for top end repair

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
“So once again, the king is now my guest. And why is this.....” my gas tank made a mess.

This is actually the continuing saga of my failed gas tank liner,

http://www.xs650.com/threads/failed...-motors-got-it-wrong-twice.58302/#post-662235

I won’t go over the whole gas tank liner fiasco again, it’s there if you’re interested. No, this is about what happened after I got my gas tank back the last time and installed it on my bike and tried to get it running again. Before Christmas, I spent a few days trying to get it sorted out. I had already cleaned all the melted gunk outa my carburetors and now I couldn’t get the bike to run well again. It kept popping out of the exhaust and idling poorly. No matter how I tried to adjust them I couldn’t get them dialed in, so I figured there must me something in the idle circuit still, so off came the carbs. Only this time I noticed something, a black stain in the intake tracts. A closer look revealed this, ahh , there’s my gas tank liner. Edit: To be clear the gunk shown in these photos was deposited by the melting of my first failed tank liner.
36B38866-7DE2-4E04-A5E2-81E7509E9FAC.jpeg
56D56BEF-66C2-405E-8C97-C9D80C406185.jpeg

After seeing this, I took a compression test and my compression has dropped to 130 lbs and 135 lbs. it has gone down.
The other issue I was having is the clutch feels super sticky, like it doesn’t want to free up. With the bike in neutral, if I kick the kickstart to try and free up the plates, it won’t , it turns the motor over. If I start the bike and put it in gear the bike lurches, badly enough to kill the motor at times.

So that does it then, I pulled the motor, to clean things up inside and check for any more damage.
865F51B9-BE60-4730-9A9E-B17EBEA62098.jpeg
6DCE185B-9E23-4B40-9E04-9B24135D34FD.jpeg
AB32CD19-900B-4BB8-898D-0E468AA9BE33.jpeg
03432C92-8583-42DA-BDD0-8797B0CB48CC.jpeg
B6045EAB-3B89-4AF1-8287-D467BFE04AE4.jpeg
D77D082A-507A-405B-B053-8FBBC1E61D65.jpeg

It’s deja vu all over again. I started pulling stuff of the motor, the head is coming off , I’ll pull the valves, clean all that up...somehow. Part of that gunk feels oily, part feels rock hard. I’m also going to pull the clutch out and clean the friction plates up. When I drained the oil , to me it felt sticky. I don’t know, it it’s all going to get cleaned up. Then back in the bike to see if it works.
I sure hope I can wrangle that motor back in, it had to have the top tipped out first to clear the frame. Going back in, it’ll have to go in bottom first and then hit the bolt holes, we shall see I guess.
Later, Bob

Last edited:
I actually don't like boycotts against small businesses but in these circumstances, knowing and having met Bob as I have, I believe that a boycott is warranted.

The guy who runs that shop is nothing but a crook and a cheat.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
OMG. I'm speechless.
Hang in there, Bob. We're here to support you.

Thanks Jeff.

Sh!ts of he!! Uncle Bob - what a bummer.

Dammit - I'm comin' over to help!

C’mon over Pete! And take this bike home with you! :laugh2:

Man that sucks....

I know right?

It's not the liner, but the tool who installed it.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse concerning Marbles Motors, I’m just so disappointed with this whole transaction and the way it all worked out. This paint job was a splurge for me, Ive never spent that kind of money for paint, and never will again. And to think that the one thing I spent the most money on is the root of my problems. :wtf:

Sorry to see that. Bummer for sure. Very impressed by Elvis and Johnny Cash on the wall though. Nice shop!

Thanks! I love my garage! :)
I'm really sorry to see this and I hope you're able to fix everything
If you need a new gas tank hit me up! I have a spare or two... out of curiosity do you use a fuel filter?

Thanks, yes I do use a fuel filter, always. You have early tanks?

I don’t want to beat a dead horse concerning Marbles Motors, I’m just so disappointed with this whole transaction and the way it all worked out. This paint job was a splurge for me, Ive never spent that kind of money for paint, and never will again. And to think that the one thing I spent the most money on is the root of my problems. :wtf:

When you took it back.........i should say when he took it back after 2 years, he would have been better to say sorry to late, because it then became an issue that he was in 2 minds about and having relies on outsourced work to be corrected it was a disaster in making, that happened. .........as stated to late, but with what has happened...............Marbles have been chipped and they ain't so round anymore......... ruined their credibility..........

Are these the guys
https://marblesmotors.com/

When you took it back.........i should say when he took it back after 2 years, he would have been better to say sorry to late, because it then became an issue that he was in 2 minds about and having relies on outsourced work to be corrected it was a disaster in making, that happened. .........as stated to late, but with what has happened...............Marbles have been chipped and they ain't so round anymore......... ruined their credibility..........

Are these the guys
https://marblesmotors.com/

Yeah , that’s him.

Back