Mailman’s “I’ll be mellow when I’m dead. “ ride

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
“ Nows the time to go for all the gusto you can grab
You’ll have plenty of time to be low key , when you’re laid out on the slab”

Smart man , that Weird Al Yankovic.

I woke up this morning and thought what am I doing? This is springtime in Arizona, it’s absolutely perfect out, let’s go riding! So I fired up old faithful and headed out to the spring trading facility for the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals baseball teams.
50BBE0DD-5DDC-4107-A07E-2B7F44D3B195.jpeg
68364505-1C18-4A12-B835-3350B1022FF6.jpeg
D686A540-7F4C-4BE3-94DF-2839F093414F.jpeg
B99C8697-59EA-481D-A0A3-B80EEEE68CFD.jpeg

Today the Royals were playing the LA Dodgers, tomorrow the Rangers will be playing the Cleveland Indians.
Spring training is a really big deal in Arizona, with six stadiums in the Phoenix metro area. When I was working for the post office I had a chance to go inside where the players work out , and I can tell you they spare no expense on these facilities, they’re beautiful.

Leaving there I head west to the White Tank Mountains. My destination straight ahead.
E6F9096C-1B3E-4795-A221-5487468C8990.jpeg

When I was a boy, this mountain range was way way beyond the edge of Phoenix. My dad used to take me deer hunting and camping here. Urban sprawl has put it on the edge of town and now the mountains are protected and part of the county parks system, this being the largest.
Just inside the front gate is a visitors center.
A1544C23-E656-484A-8180-F78B9524BB8B.jpeg
4EFBCF37-8449-4ABD-8BDC-B44AA74E7C46.jpeg
7B1B9FC9-3BBF-4391-BEF5-2B38A9C970D7.jpeg

The air is super fragrant, the whole desert is in bloom right now. This is a creasote bush, if you’ve ever been in the desert after a rain , and thought how good the air smells....this is the culprit.
838752E4-D304-4335-A9B5-F14F13B3D0EB.jpeg

I follow the road up into the mountains. There are deer, javelina, desert tortoises and mountain lions that call these mountains home.
5BA0A996-9A21-47FC-8CC6-2283566C65AD.jpeg
D6183406-3279-4678-ACAB-D55D702D0B65.jpeg
12912C03-C61B-4CAB-BBE1-B1FDEE1B67B9.jpeg
17CC44CB-874A-472E-AC67-50FC49E9DF0F.jpeg

There are really nice hiking trails and horse trails and even mountain bike trails all through these mountains.
Oops, I must’ve veered off into Texas....
88698FEA-80CA-45F5-B057-452CDA80A0BE.jpeg

There are also the ruins of the ancient Hohokam Indians here and there are many easy to find petroglyphs.
4FC65613-3426-4FF0-91F8-E3987A3C2363.jpeg
15291F8B-CBAA-498D-B273-30DE7C3B9932.jpeg

I left the White Tank Mountains with one more destination in mind. Luke Air Force base. The new F-35’s have been thick as mosquitoes around here lately, they fly all hours of the day and night. I wanted to get a photo of F-35’s taking off behind my bike.
That’s the control tower behind me, and the water tower for the base. I’m on a little farm road that runs behind the base, the runway has been marked in red.
25E8705B-4ADF-4226-B58C-994F3EFEA944.jpeg

I’ve been here many times, hardly any traffic and an unobstructed view of the runway. But wouldn’t you know it, today no activity. Ah well, I still enjoyed the ride! All in all a wonderful outing.
Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in things we cannot control and let worry rob us of our happiness in the here and now. I’m a slow learner, but I’m trying.
Later, Bob
DB8D242A-92D3-47DE-AFBD-E4C683E99037.jpeg

Huge Royals fan here. I went to one of their World Series games. To say I'm envious of you right now is an understatement. Love the scenery shots Bob.
Still trying to talk Sue into moving out there..... :rolleyes:

Great ride looks pretty warm there already. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Signal, it was absolutely beautiful today, 63 degrees when I started and was up to 73 when I got back home.

Huge Royals fan here. I went to one of their World Series games. To say I'm envious of you right now is an understatement. Love the scenery shots Bob.
Still trying to talk Sue into moving out there..... :rolleyes:

C’mon buddy, you never have to shovel sunshine, as they say!

I woke up this morning and thought what am I doing? This is springtime in Arizona, it’s absolutely perfect out, let’s go riding! So I fired up old faithful and headed out to the spring trading facility for the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals baseball teams.
View attachment 137492 View attachment 137493 View attachment 137494 View attachment 137495

Today the Royals were playing the LA Dodgers, tomorrow the Rangers will be playing the Cleveland Indians.
Spring training is a really big deal in Arizona, with six stadiums in the Phoenix metro area. When I was working for the post office I had a chance to go inside where the players work out , and I can tell you they spare no expense on these facilities, they’re beautiful.

Leaving there I head west to the White Tank Mountains. My destination straight ahead.
View attachment 137497

When I was a boy, this mountain range was way way beyond the edge of Phoenix. My dad used to take me deer hunting and camping here. Urban sprawl has put it on the edge of town and now the mountains are protected and part of the county parks system, this being the largest.
View attachment 137498 View attachment 137499 View attachment 137500

The air is super fragrant, the whole desert is in bloom right now. This is a creasote bush, if you’ve ever been in the desert after a rain , and thought how good the air smells....this is the culprit.
View attachment 137501

I follow the road up into the mountains. There are deer, javelina, desert tortoises and mountain lions that call these mountains home.
View attachment 137502 View attachment 137503 View attachment 137504 View attachment 137505

There are really nice hiking trails and horse trails and even mountain bike trails all through these mountains.
View attachment 137507

There are also the ruins of the ancient Hohokam Indians here and there are many easy to find petroglyphs.
View attachment 137508 View attachment 137509

I left the White Tank Mountains with one more destination in mind. Luke Air Force base. The new F-35’s have been thick as mosquitoes around here lately, they fly all hours of the day and night. I wanted to get a photo of F-35’s taking off behind my bike.
That’s the control tower behind me, and the water tower for the base. I’m on a little farm road that runs behind the base, the runway has been marked in red.
View attachment 137510

I’ve been here many times, hardly any traffic and an unobstructed view of the runway. But wouldn’t you know it, today no activity. Ah well, I still enjoyed the ride! All in all a wonderful outing.
Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in things we cannot control and let worry rob us of our happiness in the here and now. I’m a slow learner, but I’m trying.
Later, Bob
View attachment 137511

G'day B-O-B,

Was that a Cincinatti Braves cap you were wearing??

Cleveland Indians. My wife and her family are from Cleveland. My brother in law worked for the ball club after retiring from the post office.
I’m really more of an Arizona Diamondbacks fan!
59554C6F-CA3D-42A2-8785-ED2266EA743A.jpeg

They used to do Spring training here at the old ball park. High Corbet field. Back in the late '80's to early '90's.

View attachment 137492 View attachment 137493 View attachment 137494 View attachment 137495

View attachment 137497

View attachment 137498 View attachment 137499 View attachment 137500

View attachment 137501

View attachment 137502 View attachment 137503 View attachment 137504 View attachment 137505

View attachment 137507

View attachment 137508 View attachment 137509

View attachment 137510

Later, Bob
View attachment 137511
You mentioned the Creasote bush, is that the same aroma I get when painting my fence? I may be strange but I love the snell of Creasote, and Tarmac when it’s being laid. Great photos.

great ride Bob and amazing pictures .
You are so right about seizing the day ...we only get one go at it and life just speeds by when you get to a certain age.

I am the Worlds worst procrastinator and your little jaunt has inspired me to do the same one day soon.... thank you

I'm sure glad we don't have any prohibited areas due to snakes scorpions and spiders urghhh .

ps Next time out could you try and get me a closeup of a Mountain Lion :bike:

Back